Jarrad
Years ago

Pioneers get the W, Ninnis & Bell present

while the pioneers got the W it was good to see Ninnis & bell in attendance.

I assume that they were there to watch Ryan Kersten and perhas Andrew Rice. Kersten turned in a solid all round game and it seemed to impress Ninnis.

Look out for Kersten to be added to the sixers roster soon!

Topic #15509 | Report this topic

ANON12  
Years ago

My mail is that there will be an announcement within the next couple of days re a new signing (SA born and bred)

Reply #183071 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Isn't Kersten signed with the Breakers?

Reply #183085 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If they sign Kersten does that mean Aaron Bruce is out of the questions???? probably would have been hard to get him and a long shot to land Bruce anyway but was worth a crack, i would be happy with Kersten, and am liking the large SA content on this years 36ers squad, i think it will help us retain the next 'Newley or Ingles' that comes along having Ninnis and a obvious comitment to signing and developing SA guys.

Reply #183094 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

what would people think of Andrew Rice as a back up PF?? i think he would be ok aslong as he comes cheap, i dont think he would be more than say 3 or 4 points, and yea has been a starter/6th man in the NBL before, i wouldnt mond him, not sure on his age though, would he be considered too old for that role and would it be better giving it to a younger guy like Dodman??
I personally thikn Rice would probably be the better player right now, so would be worth a look providing he comes very cheaply, ie not much more than you would spend on say a Dodman

Reply #183096 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Did the Pioneers play well yesterday. I didn't get to go to the game cause i had footy. How close was the game?

Reply #183098 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Did the Pioneers play well yesterday. I didn't get to go to the game cause i had footy. How close was the game?

Reply #183099 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Interesting Bell being present. Which Pioneer player/s is he the agent for??

Reply #183102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ryan Kersten's - played for the Pioneers' opponents.

Reply #183106 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

very ordinary game. Albury led most of it, by as much as 15 at one stage in 1st.
Kurt Russell started hitting from perimeter and got the Neers home.
Is Kersten overweight or has just being working out. He looks very top heavy. But could still play, although did have 10 turnovers.

Reply #183118 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

10 turnovers?

Reply #183128 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

About time Russell got some minutes! Has been lagging at the end of the bench for way too long.

Reply #183138 | Report this post

Jarrad  
Years ago

I agree panther, at times it appears coach De Wit thinks that everybody needs to get equal court time rather than leaving the best combination on the court for that game. He also seems to make substitutions when the 5 that are on are making a run or are maintaining the lead which seems to disrupt things and means that there are swings in the game. I also think that the Pioneers offensive sets are seriously lacking and fail to play to the strengths of the team at any particular time. Although this could be largely due to a certain player who seems to refuse to play within the sets and try to get the job done by himself night after night which in my opinion is very deterimental to the teams win loss ratio.

I look forward to others thoughts.

Reply #183174 | Report this post

bryant  
Years ago

I think the Pioneers should be looking to use the post more. they have one of the biggest sides in the comp yet they seem content to shoot threes. against smaller teams they should try to use players like Dallas Jeffries and Jason Sedlock who would have smaller opponents. what are your thoughts guys?

Reply #183208 | Report this post

bryant  
Years ago

I think the Pioneers should be looking to use the post more. they have one of the biggest sides in the comp yet they seem content to shoot threes. against smaller teams they should try to use players like Dallas Jeffries and Jason Sedlock who would have smaller opponents. what are your thoughts guys?

Reply #183209 | Report this post

Unley  
Years ago

Jarrad,
Which player are you refering to ?

Reply #183521 | Report this post

Jarrad  
Years ago

I dont think it is hard to work out. DJ

Reply #183583 | Report this post

Unley  
Years ago

Any positives to his game ?????
Would you prefer him to throw up the numbers of some former players like Mobbs, etc....

Reply #183621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As good a player DJ is, look at the Pioneers W/L ratio since he has been a the club.

Reply #183638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can someone tell me more about Dallas Jeffree - playing history, style of game, etc?

From my very occasional following of the Pioneers (e.g., what's posted on here and the occasional boxscore) I got the impression that he's gone from a supporting player to their main option on offense?

Reply #183643 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Jarrad, obviously you know nothing about the game of basketball in bagging DJ. Not watching many games this season are we? And to blame DJ on the win/loss ratio is just riddiculous.

Reply #183717 | Report this post

Jarrad  
Years ago

I have been present at a sufficient number of games this season and last to concluded that the player in question continues to force up far to many bad shots night after night.

However, I admit that on Sunday he made far more attempts than usual to make a pass to hit the open player when he had drawn the extra defender but could not hit the target on the majority of these occassions.

Oh and rather than simply question my level of basketball knowledge, I respectfully suggest that you put forward some arguments which oppose my view and support your own. In doing so you will no doubt illustrate to all and sundry your exceptional understanding and knowledge of the sport.

I look forward to your response.

Jarrad

Reply #183747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

The best way to describe Dallas is to think of Kobe and the Lakers circa 2007... has most of the ball, shoots a lot, takes tough shots, scores a lot of points, but the team still loses and everyone leaves unhappy.

Product of his enviroment here though, where he has been stranded as the sole offensive option the last couple of years due to poor recruiting.

Been here since 2005 after a stint at the Wildcats as a development player / 10th man. Was in shape when first arrived, and has steadily lost conditioning since.

He's a super passionate bloke though, and is a streaky player who can score inside or out, and score a lot of points in a hurry.

Reply #183873 | Report this post

Cat 63  
Years ago

Jarrad,
Rather than put others in the barrell, how about revealing your own "Great Knowledge" and experience.

Once again, you sound like another who has your own AXE to grind. Get over yourself..... KNOW ALL....

Reply #183912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, who would he be most similar to (size/game-type) in the ABL or NBL that I'd know?

Reply #184140 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's kind of a hard one, Dallas is a unique individual.

Size wise, he's similar height to Jason Reardon but with a fairly solid frame. Best way to describe his game is unconventional, almost a cross between Eric Burdon and Jacob Holmes (ABL version when he was dominating for Mavericks).

Not particularly quick or athletic, but has solid ball skills, excellent footwork and great timing.

Similar to Jacob with getting guys off balance, then using a lot of fades and step throughs, and similar to Eze in that he likes to take guys off the dribble from outside, and also pull up for big threes in transition.

Reply #184250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks. Trying to think of another player that fits the description and you're right, not many. Best I could think of were Leith Marston, Brad Williams (last played for Canberra maybe?), some nuggety guard from West Sydney years back whose name I can't remember, Cam Rigby, maybe Pero Cameron cut in half?

Reply #184290 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah he's a little bit like Jacob when he was playing at Eastern, except he doesn't rebound quite as well as Jacob did. Relys a lot on the fade away but is a very good shooter. As some have said, he can sometimes go a little individual and force some tough shots. I think this also comes back to the team he has around him and perhaps a coach that gives him to much leeway.

Reply #184303 | Report this post

hood 75  
Years ago

The player that comes to mind that best describes Dally J over the last 3 seasons is Tony Ronaldson.
Boil him up and melt him into a suit every week.

New dietician on board this year and I think everyone who has seen a game over the last few weeks will acknowledge that no 6 has trimmed way down. not to the playing weight he was after the Wildcats but he's much quicker up and down the court. To describe him as a unique individual is one way of putting it and I think he would be even more blunt than that.
Probably the most ritualistic and superstitious player I've seen.

One of the best team men I've seen even if a bit hungry down the stretch, it's not self centred he is very much the type of player that takes it on himself to get it done. Dead set ugliest free throw I've ever seen all upper body feet together but it works and works well.

The combination of Sedlock, Jeffree, Mason and Russell is all heart. Sedlock and Mason are as fit as I have ever seen them that includes '03 for Sedlock .

Reply #184306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Arkell Isaac?

Reply #184314 | Report this post

hood 75  
Years ago

One of the best even ups ever seen Pioneers v NW Tassie. 2 years ago McGaffin brothers target Chris Mason in the first with some heavy body work.
late in the second after a basket the 2 gather under the hoop for some mutual back slapping DJ charges through with an elbow for each chin!

GOLD!!!

Reply #184371 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Definitely got his routines, thats for sure hood 75, ever tried getting his attention before a game? Hilarious....

'huh, HUH what? huh.'

And the special towel on the bench, it definitely pays to know about the special towel.

Reply #184440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon - Ben Arkell is who I was trying to remember, thanks!

Reply #184470 | Report this post

hood 75  
Years ago

Oh my god I forgot the special towel.
Would love to watch previous manager Green's approach to the "special towel"

Would slap him into another galaxy

Reply #184635 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:12 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754