DandyBoi
Years ago

Are the Boomers a medal threat at Beijing?

I came across an article where Andrew Gaze states the Aussies are a realistic medal threat for Beijing, highlighting the depth of our frontline - our usual weakness in the past.

Whilst I agree about our bigs, our guards appear top be our clear weakness. Can our boys match it with the USA, Argentina, Spain, Greece & Turkey (just to name a few)? Is a medal, albeit likely to only be a bronze a realistic chance?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23588803-11088,00.html

(Linky wouldn't work for me when I clicked on the link, and yet it worked on my earlier post???)

Topic #15556 | Report this topic

I love ABL  
Years ago

Hard to see them getting anywhere near USA, Argentina, Spain and Russia.

Reply #183620 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I think if everybody played at their best and a few things fell our way then we could get close to top 4 . We have a habit of competing really well but missing our opportunities which u just cannot afford to do in the olympic structure .

Reply #183627 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I read this article in Adelaide's paper.

I doubt it. The Aussies can't defeat Germany, USA, Canada, Argentina to name a few.

Reply #183648 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Everyone (read most people) are expressing that they don't think the Aussies can reach the medal round.
Personally I think they have our best chance in a long time, however as always with these kind of tournaments, a lot has to go right if you are to succeed. (I can still picture Ronaldson's huge 4 point play against the Croats in the last minute all those years ago!!!)
Yes, we have a weakness (guards), but so do most teams going to the Olympics.
So I'd like to not just hear people saying "we can't beat so and so", but I'd like to see some meat with the potatoes - provide some analysis and your reasons why you think it can't be done. Let's analyse the Boomers and their potential matchups come Beijing in a couple of months.

Reply #183652 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: Here are some of my thoughts.

Guards
I see our ability to contain and negate teams with quick and explosive guards (such as Ginobili, Nash, CP3 etc) is going to cause us grief and is a clear weakness. Mills will play decent minutes, but his time to shine will be in 2012. CJ doesn't have the footspeed or defensive skills to contain such players, and the jury is out whether and ageing Smith (if he makes the team) could do a job. I can see other teams emplyoing full court pressure on the Aussies and this will cause trouble.

Small Forward
Australia has some ability, but very much outside-inside players as opposed to inside/out (like Wortho). Solid at best, but will provide value if they can consistently hit from outside. Will gain confidence from big men inside if they are getting the boards.

Centre/Power Forward
With Bogut, Andersen, Anstey and Neilson at least, Australia has great balance, different options and the best depth in the big man dept for years. Should be able to match it with any other front court going at Beijing. May not be able to dominate against the better front courts (USA, Spain for e.g.) but will hold their own at worst. Team will be based around the tall timber. Good news is that Bogut, Andersen play great D.

I think for Australia to be successful, they will have to apply full court pressure and scrap out some games. I would also expect to see some zone defence applied at some stage to try and limit the amount of penetration gained from the quicker and more skilful guards.

Any other thoughts about the Aussies?

What about matchups?

Reply #183656 | Report this post

TT44  
Years ago

is patty mills going to play, that would dreate some speed at the point and help us break any full court press plus he is another scoring option!!

PS: come and watch me win the MVP award at this weekends state social championships!!!!

Reply #183667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754