Sixers 08
Years ago

An Assessment of the 36ers 08/09 Team

There is a lot being said of whether or not the team that Coach Ninnis has put together could contest for a title this season.
When breaking it down per player I think it becomes clearer.

Guards
Brett Maher  His best days are definitely behind him but that doesn't mean he can't lead this team to a title. With less minutes and hopefully greater production as a result, we could see Maher have one of his better seasons in recent years. Injuries are always going to be the big question mark on his year. If he stays healthy will go a long way to success.

Brad Davidson  Was the inspiration and heart of the team last year and his leadership and work ethic may be more important to this young group than anything else. If he can produce consistent games, this will go a long way to on court success. My concern is that if he ends up the starting PG, I don't see us being able to win a championship on the back of his play. If he comes off the bench however would be one of the better back up guards in the league.

Ryan Kersten  This I feel is the second best signing in the off-season. A young guard with a lot of potential and genuine ability. However this signing is for the future not the now. If Maher and Davidson go down at the same time can he hold our backcourt up?? One thing for sure is he does bring that true PG mentality to the group that we didn't have last year so if he can stay as a back up guard, should be a solid year for him and the team.

Brad Hill  I am really not sure about this signing and there are tremendous amounts of question marks around Brad. Is he healthy? Can he with stand big knocks? Is his dad going to cause problems if he isn't playing? IF the answers are yes, yes and no this will help at the offensive end, his scoring power is second to none and from what I hear he has bulked up well. If the answers are no, no, yes, could mean a tough year. The big concern on Brad is his defence and smarts, not sure if he can rank highly in either category but if he is middle of the road with it he will be handy of the bench.

Forwards/ Bigs
Jacob Holmes  I love Jacob as a role player on a team, 6 or 7th man who just plays solid. Sadly for us he is our starting 3 men and not someone who can win us a Championship in this position. He ranks about 6th for the 3 spot and I feel this is our greatest danger with next years group. Cant question his work ethic and desire but don't think he can be affective in this position unless Ninnis runs something where by the 3 man plays a role in the offence. Hope I am wrong with this assessment but history says im not.

David Cooper  As a back up player who will play pinch minutes, Cooper is a great fit for this team. Needs to get back to playing inside and not floating on the perimeter and use his 6 fouls at the right time and will allow our key bigs to have a productive year. Finally the role player he is, he will be able to play as one and have a great year doing so.

Luke Schensher  Our best get in the off-season. Yes is coming off injury but is a good post up big who can also turn and face and hit the shot. How effective he is will depend on what offence the team is running but is a vast improvement on bigs from last season.

Imports
Adam Ballinger  If he does what he did last year, we will go deep into the playoffs. The good thing for Balls is if he has a quieter night there should be people able to back him up and chip in. Looking for him to have another good year.

2nd import / Hodge  This import spot is key to our success. My gut feel says that since Hodge hasn't signed yet, not ever an intention to play with us he will head to Melbourne or not in our league at all. If we can get a tall guard (mee in his hey day like) we could be in for a good run. My fear is that we will recycle an import like Dave Thomas and see same results as when Chappell was here.

On paper there is a high "potential" score with this team. If the youth steps up to the plate, the vets have an injury free year and the second import has a huge impact the team could do quiet well. On the flip side if we get the exact opposite to this it would look like another year out of the finals.

I believe a top 4 finish should be in this group's site and if Ninnis achieves that in his first year with a youngish group, it's a good result.

Going on off-season signings I would envisage the league to look something like this

Melbourne
New Zealand
South Dragons
Cairns
Sixers (Being positive)
Perth
Gold Coast
Townsville
Brisbane
Sydney
Wollongong
Singapore
West Sydney

Only my opinions look forward to constructive chat about this&.

Topic #15611 | Report this topic

hmm eddie  
Years ago

its a lovely write up and all but i think you should have saved this until we had all spots filled. we still have 2 more players to sign including an import.

Reply #184044 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Sydney looks a bit high for my liking

Reply #184117 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice job on the assessments Sixers 08. I have been thinking the same thing about Jacob at the 3. Love the guy, but he doesn't have the explosiveness, athleticism and scoring ability I think you need at that position to be a contender.

The key to this is who we get for a 2nd import. They have to be a dominant, athletic scorer who can switch between the 2 and 3 and paper over our short-comings at both positions.

I really like the decision to bring in some young SA guys. The Sixers biggest problem since Phil took over has been the failure to identify and develop the next generation. Maher is on his last legs now and we have to find his successor urgently. We can't expect too many more good years from Davidson either, so lets hope that Kersten, Hill and perhaps another guy like Burdon can grasp their opportunity.

Ah for the good old days, when the Sixers had guys like Ninnis and McKay developing behind Pearce and Green, not to mention a young Mark Bradtke!

Reply #184890 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ninnis played his best basketball for other clubs.

Reply #184901 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ninnis played 10 seasons with the Sixers, and one season only for each of Eastside Spectres, South East Melbourne Magic and Newcastle.

His best year output-wise was the 19.43 ppg he averaged with the Sixers in 1993.

Not sure I can agree with your assessment Anon.

Reply #184907 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754