Anonymous
Years ago

FreeView TV - Coming To Oz?

Was reading about freeview and was wondering if it's likley that freeview will come to australia? might help us get some more bball on free tv if we did get it.

Topic #15616 | Report this topic

bolks  
Years ago

What is FreeView TV??

Reply #184078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Freeview TV is coming to Australia, Channels 9/10/7 will be spending $40 million in advertising in a few months time for it. There will be around 15 channels available.

Reply #184083 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Ok thanks but can some explain to us what it accually is.

Reply #184092 | Report this post

Years ago

Bring it on baby!

Reply #184104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe: Channels 7/9/ten/abc/sbs coming together to take down Foxtel. You pay for the set top box then get all of the 15 channels completely free, some of which are already on Foxtel.

Really just an alternative to Foxtel madeup by the free to air channels to compete. More information will be released in a few months time.

Reply #184112 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Not sure what the freeview model will be like in Australia, here in the UK it's a lot better than regular TV but not a patch on Sky (Foxtel equivalent).

We've got maybe 15 to 20 channels on freeview which includes the 5 free to air channels, there's one music channel, the Sky Sports News channel (which is very useful), an entertainment channel or two plus a few news services. There's certainly no additional sports channels (besides the sports news) so in terms of more coverage for less mainstream sports there is no benefit. However, it looks as though the Australian model may be different with each channel (7, 9, 10 etc) providing a couple of channels. If this is the case then fingers crossed for NBL's return to free to air.

Reply #184121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

billo, FreeView TV here will be based on Britains. Australia is probably more likely to have an extra sports channel than England with our culture however sport coverage usually stays on FTA channels/FoxSports.

Reply #184130 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You know what drives me nuts? The commercial channels have 3-4 digital channels and running the same crap on all of them.

Reply #184134 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Isaac comment 184134. Best comment ever! We just got a digital TV and that's the first thing I said too. Why??

Reply #184160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most content needs to be on the main channel, so until laws change they can't do much except run old shows. Channel Ten has NFL and 7 added a few different shows, but other than that, it is mostly the same content. This is the reason for the slow slow Digital takeup. Analogue switch off was supposed to be this year but will now be 2010 or 2012.

Reply #184165 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

It sounds like 'Freeview' is already available in a limited capacity via digital television. I'm intrigued how it will work.

The question I have is what type of legal action will be taken by Foxtel (doesn't Channel 9 have some type of partnership with Foxtel???)if all the free to air station work together ('collusion' anyone)to bring the concept to Australia.

The concept is foreign to me so perhaps I'm naive, but I'm only going by the info that has been posted.

Reply #184205 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

At anon 184165
10HD also has IPL, Live uninterrupted MotoGP, Nascar and occasionally Live F1 - ok so they are live in eastern states - half hour delay in SA. I think the 10HD effort is the best so far. Having a HD tv though it pisses me off that they dont always have Saturday night AFL on HD. I reckon they should have Channel 10SD simulcast on 10HD and a totally seperate SD channel.

Reply #184211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Getting pretty bored of Nascar on the weekends - not sure that I "get it" - pretty boring circuit, right?

Reply #184215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 9 is no longer affiliated with Foxtel. Although they still bid together for sporting events such as the AFL and Olympics, Channel Nine, since been sold, have separated themselves from Fox.

This shows with Nine joining the FTA channels in bringing Freeview to Australia. You may remember the rumours of one A-League match being broadcasted on Foxtel? Well since Nine was sold, talks collapsed and Fox were unwilling to deal a game to Nine.

Reply #184223 | Report this post

I love the 9HD coverage during the day - it's very relaxing!!

Reply #184407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

espn hd on the new hd iq for foxtel will certainly help get more nba games, as this is a standard us feed of espnhd and not a repackaged asian/south american version full of soccer

Reply #184449 | Report this post

Dawn  
Years ago

thats good , but does it give an extra 15 channels or does it include the already free to air channels
plus the HD channels

Reply #214459 | Report this post

Zorro  
Years ago

All information on Freeview tv is available on www.freeview.com.au

Reply #216843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still waiting for a change way down in tasmainia still getting the same old rubish

Reply #238800 | Report this post

Pradeep  
Years ago

I have LF HD Tv but I dont know why one channel SBS on HD not catching so as Channel 31 bcz except of these all channels are coming and I done lot of time auto tunning.
Pleaes help me to get these channels bcz I dnt want miss Ashes

Reply #246019 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754