thedoctor
Years ago

Suns and Mavs - where to from here?

Isaac touched on it in the mavs-hornets game thread. two teams made blockbuster trades, two familiar playoff exits resulted.

were both trades failures? or do we allow another season to pass judgement? interesting comments from nash about the spurs team cohesion and understanding of the game. basically said that the suns were more talentd on paper but lost anyway.

on a more long term level, it raises argument as to building up a franchise or trading for a superstar. really only come off once when miami traded for shaq. even then, the spurs were one bad ginobilo foul away from matching up with the heat that year.

could see the lakers do it this year though. spurs lakers final might settle the argument?

Topic #15656 | Report this topic

go phoenix

one day

Reply #184578 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Both trades were failures.

As for whether teams should trade, they should. Just not for old, washed up guys that won't do anything to help your team. Especially not when you make the trade half through the season.

I'm more interested in seeing how Shaq goes next season, if he is in a Suns top. Does he commit himself? Or does he just give up like he did in Miami? You want to see him try for one last ring, but I can't see him bothering anymore.

Reply #184579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix need another solid defender at the 3. I would love to see them get Josh Childress off Atlanta's bench...he would be the perfect fit. I still think he is a better player than Marvin Williams and should be starting elsewhere.

Oh and keeping Joe Johnson would've been nice....sigh.

Reply #184581 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Solid defender? At the 3? Shawn Marion, anyone?

Had to said....

Reply #184584 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ok, if the shaq trade wasnt the right move then what trade should have been made? clearly marion wasnt interested and the suns lost with him anyway.

kirilenko? or gamble on an artest? josh smith could have worked i suppose.

what about kidd? i think this trade was even worse than shaq. not sure what dallas should have done though. maybe their window just passed? how would nash feel - i think the spurs have knocked him out 5 times including one with dallas in 2003.

Reply #184585 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I find it amazing that both Avery Johnson and Mike D'antoni job's are under such scrutiny because they haven't been able to deliver a title. Sure some questions have to be asked but coaches of their calibre and level are not a dime a dozen and you can't just bring in the next bloke and see how he goes. You must remember every year there are 30 teams and probably 10-15 trying to win it all, but....there can only be 1. I fully understand its a huge business and EVERYTHING must be explored and done for ultimate success, but maybe sometimes you have to accept that the other franchise simply had things worked out a little better than yours and everything that could be done was?

Reply #184586 | Report this post

Years ago

I agree with M Dizzle to a point. However, I just think that whoever makes the descisions for teams usually becomes impatient if the core is full of veterans, like the Suns and Mavericks are. If these were young teams, with some development to do, such as the Hawks or even the Blazers, you'd admit that you're not good enough for the title, but could be on your way. However, with these older teams, the time is ticking away, and they have to win right now, or else they simply miss out, their window of opportunity passes, and have they have to rebuild, like the Heat are doing now.

Reply #184591 | Report this post

mr black  
Years ago

Just ask yourself this...

Is Kidd still better than Devin, even this late into his career?

The answer is yes.

So overall the trade was far from a failure

Reply #184592 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's going to be an interesting time in both Phoenix and Dallas.

The are reports coming out of Phoenix that Coach D is already gone, whilst reports from Kerr that's not the case.

http://linky.com.au/anxtg

http://linky.com.au/o7wsb

Reply #184595 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I completely agree with you but here is my point more specifically. There are 30 teams competing in the league for the services of the players in the best combination they can muster up in this environment. Can it be the case that the Suns and Spurs, Mavs and Hornets have all assembled the best teams they can with the resources available. Their players are buying into the system 100% and exerting 100% effort to win...however is it possible that the Suns and Mavs and their coaches really havnt done much wrong, its just the Spurs and Hornets are simply more capable and effective of winning basketball games? Every game must have a winner and a loser.

Reply #184598 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Not a personal attack at all btw 3, just trying to clarify my point for everyone

Reply #184599 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

mr black, that's far too a simplistic way of looking at it. harris had improving to do and kidd is on the slide BIG TIME. also picks were part of the trade as well so there goes dallas picking any young talent. on top of that kidd gets paid 21mill next season.

the trade was designed to win this season. they didn't and they have now potentially fukt the next few years. they also still have the highest payroll in the NBA. ouch

Reply #184608 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Kidd is on the slide BIG TIME..... what??

Come on thedoctor, fair enough it took a little bit to gel with his new team, but season averages of 10.8 points, 10.1 assists and 7.5 rebounds suggests that he is still in GREAT form.

Playoff averages down to 8.6 pts 6.4 rebs and 6.8 assists tell a bit of a story, but I would like to see him with a full pre season with the team, and Dallas trade for another scorer (Ben Gordon maybe).

Reply #184622 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fair call on the salary though, was not aware of that...21 mill, wow..

Reply #184623 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

i think the playoff numbers tell a huge part of the story. kidd will be 36 next year. not saying he's not still a great player, but I still think the trade was a failure based on why the trade was made.

Reply #184626 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

If they had more than Dirk to put the ball in the hole, Kidd would be great value still. He still finds the open man, rebounds way bigger than he is, and should be able to put up 10 - 15 a night still.

Like I said, a Ben Gordon type player, maybe even Gilbert Arenas (who I think I read was looking to get out of Washington) who can command the second best defender will open it up for Kidd to score a bit easier as well ala when in New Jersey..

Reply #184628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They still had Howard, Terry and Stackhouse - should be enough to put some points on the board, surely?

Reply #184630 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Howard went AWOL when it mattered which I think affected Kidd's play, Terry is hot and cold, you never know what you will get from him, and Stack averaged 10 for the year! 6 per game in the playoffs...

Keep Terry, trade Howard, and/or Stackhouse IMO.

Reply #184633 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Kidd was never really suited to the style of play the Mavs used, which was all isolation plays. I could see Cuban blowing it up. How you go about it is an tough question though. Other than Kidd, the rest of their core are all still young or in their prime.

I think the Suns still have a 1 year window available. They need to get a defensive assistant who will get them playing some decent defence and they need more depth. I dont think you should fire D'antoni until Nash is well past his best.

Reply #184634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some good points stated above . I think by losing Diop they lost a mountain of defense and spark from the middle and it is blatantly clear that Devin Harris would have done a better job controlling CP3 on the defensive end . Kidd is a great player and racks up phenominal numbers , but is on a natural decline and at age 36 is always going to struggle containing Chris Paul , he would tip an LA Lakers team or Utah as backup into title contention .
You can't blame Dallas for having a crack , window was closing and appears shut for a while now .

Reply #184659 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Pretty sure both LA and Utah are already in title contention (especially LA! - Where have you been?)

Reply #184671 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Kidd's stats may be great, but that doesn't mean he's still great. He pretty much was incapable of scoring, couldn't move as well - which directly relates to his D, and was hopeless in the half court.

Devin Harris would have matched up with Chris Paul a whole lot better than Kidd did.

Reply #184677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point , run_TMC was that he is at the stage in career to be a complimentary player to help a contender win a ring not be THE " difference maker " .

I did not word things greatly i admit , long week .

Reply #184683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blow up Phoenix and start again. Build the entire team around Stoudamire, and get some good trade value out of guys like Barbosa, Bell, and possibly Diaw. I would be shopping Nash around for a solid young point guard too. Read somewhere that Portland have shown considerable interest in obtaining a solid veteran point guard to lead such a young team. They certainly have all the draft picks to interest Phoenix, as well as some key young players.

As for Dallas, i would adopt more of a wait and see approach. I would give them a full summer camp to adapt to time with Kidd running the floor. Given the amount of time that NBA players get to practice (it isn't as much as you may think, at times they go 2 weeks without getting on the floor depending on the schedule), he is most likely not able to run and play as freely as he was in NJ where he knew the offences inside out, and effectively wasn't being barked at on the sideline. Whilst i'm not a fan of the trade from Dallas' perspective, i think they've invested too much money into this to not give it another shot with a full summer to work things out.

In coaching news though, rumour is Sam Mitchell (Toronto) to go to the Knicks, D'Antoni to go to the Raptors (think of all the athletes in that squad, could be the PHX of 4-5 years ago), and Avery to go to Phoenix. Let the rumours start!

Reply #184694 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

i think the playoff numbers tell a huge part of the story. kidd will be 36 next year. not saying he's not still a great player, but I still think the trade was a failure based on why the trade was made.

Reply #184695 | Report this post

Years ago

Oh yea I agree with you about the 30 teams there Dizzle. It's simple logic - there's 30 teams, and only one championship, so there's bound to be plenty of teams missing out. I was just trying to justify why some teams might get impatient. I don't really think teams who are spending millions, and aren't getting any younger, are happy to come up short. It's not totally logical, but that seems to be the case.

Reply #184766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754