Big Marty
Years ago

Brad Newley's Status

Can someone outline to me what the deal is with Brad Newley & the 36ers.

From my interpretation of what happened last season, he had the out clause to go to the NBA; didn't get it; and has gone to Greece to strut his stuff in the hopes of making it this season.

If he doesn't actually make the NBA this year round; isn't he contracted to play for the sixers. As far as I understood the situation, the sixers signed him up with the clause, however if he didn't make it then he was back with us.

Is that the sort of situation he's in and potentially would he be back with the sixers this season? I'm not exactly 50% sure on any of it but I'd like to know from those that do.

Topic #15665 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

He'll keep playing in Europe (I'm sure he would've had out-clauses for both NBA and Europe). If there was a half-decent chance he'd play here, you would've already heard about it from Boti or this site.

Reply #184647 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Righto.

But isn't the whole point of the out clause that he's out provided he gets an NBA spot. Don't remember them saying that Europe was part of the agreement, more of a "sure, let's give him the best chance he can get" scenario. You'd figure if Houston dump his arse then he'd have to meet his contract and play for the sixers.

Would be nice but I guess that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Reply #184650 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

"Europe" out-clauses in the NBL are quite common and this would have been part of it.

Reply #184656 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found this in an old article from Boti:

The Forestville junior played 102 NBL games with Townsville, averaging 19.1 points at 46 per cent, 4.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists before signing with the 36ers this year.

But he exercised his NBA-European "out" clause to take up the role with Panionios and further his NBA aspirations.

Reply #184657 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

That's a cryin' shame.

Considering if he were to come back to the Sixers this year; he'd potentially help creating a rather hateful lineup.

Oh well; I doubt he'll get into the NBA considering his skills. He's pinnacle NBL quality at best.

Reply #184663 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Well well well Big Marty. This new job of yours letting you browse Hoops ay.

I was always fairly sure he would take the Europe road if he got drafted...the signing always felt like a "If I didn't plan to go look elsewhere, I'd play for you guys" kind of arrangement. Good thing he's still young, we might be able to lure him back once the NBA and European opportunities are exhausted.

Reply #184679 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"pinnacle NBL quality at best" is a bit rough. - he's doing pretty well in Europe as one of the youngest imports in the league.

Reply #184680 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, from what I've read; he's been doing rather well too. Keep in mind he's not playing for a Premier team like Olypiakos (or however you spell it).

I'd expect him to live up to his hype last year and finish what he wanted to do with the Sixers. He can always do what Luke Schrensher is doing and just do a year here then go away.

In all honesty, considering the "potential" lineup the Sixers could have with him back, he'd basically be coming back for a championship.

Reply #184685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know luke schensher is going to leave after this year?

Reply #184745 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If my memory serves me well, wasn't he actually drafted by an NBA team (can't remember which one) but they gave the instructions that he was to play out one year in Europe rather than Australia. If that is the case, he is under NBA instructions which would fall under the NBA outclause.

Reply #184773 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

secound round draft pick ec so yep, either way good luck to the kid hope he makes it, hopefully one day we will get to see him in a 36ers uniform

Reply #184776 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Houston Rockets. They couldn't tell him what to do. But suggested if he played for Panionios in Greece, that would be looked at more favourably, by them , when considering him for an NBA spot.

Reply #184779 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

I love that.

"Go spend a year of your life doing what we say, and maybe we'll pick you next year."

Houston really need more guards don't they :P

He'll be back in Australia for the 2009/2010 is what I'm guessing.

Reply #184790 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Not quite sure that would be how it works EC.

Big Marty, his team finished 4th and have made the playoffs. No matter what way you want to spin it, he's been doing pretty bloody well over there.

Reply #184791 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

......and making a crap load more money than here.

Reply #184798 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good luck to Brad and wish him well in efforts to get in N B A and if playing in Greece gets him there next season good . But generally dont understand why clubs have contracts with top Aust. plyrs that have a European out clause . Not hard for top plyrs to get a gig somewhere in Europe and when do all other top Aust. options are gone . This year was a little different with more top plyrs around due to ownership change Kings and Bullets

Reply #184819 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good luck to Brad and wish him well in efforts to get in N B A and if playing in Greece gets him there next season good . But generally dont understand why clubs have contracts with top Aust. plyrs that have a European out clause . Not hard for top plyrs to get a gig somewhere in Europe and when do all other top Aust. options are gone . This year was a little different with more top plyrs around due to ownership change Kings and Bullets

Reply #184820 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Sorry double post . I guess it is a trible post now

Reply #184821 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754