coopz
Years ago

ANZ VS NBL POPULARITY

had a conversation with someone today over TV rights for NBL, and i said surely fox will renew the rights, considering they pay money for things like the ANZ netball league.

to my surprise, i was told that the netball has a much larger audience than the NBL, can that be right?

sounds odd to me. especially cos every netball game i have seen had very few people watching. with the majority being friends and family of players, or local league teams with free tickets.

Anyone know the truth?

Topic #15679 | Report this topic

boucher  
Years ago

in australia on fox, what rates better nbl or nba?

Reply #184914 | Report this post

Wayno  
Years ago

Theres no way that netball gets a bigger audieance.Tell them there dreamin coops.
As for nbl vs nba, although i think nbl games are getting better by the season, nba surely would rate better. thats the only reason i get fox is for the hoops.

Reply #184916 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst not sure ratings on TV the new ANZ netball series is getting 2.5k - 5 k supporters to games even in 5 locations through NZ . Whilst not known as great spectator sport it would treble or more the amount of men and women playing basketball

Reply #184930 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Brett....not sure where you get your numbers from but I think they are a bit out. None of the Australian venues hold more than 4600....and some hold as few as 3000 (ETSA) and sell outs are not the norm. The NZ venues are a little smaller. I think you will find that the ANZ champ considers 2000 a good crowd.

In terms of participation, in organised competition, basketball and netball are actually very close in Australia. In Vic for example basketball is estimated at 100,000, netball at 110,000. Netball has always claimed huge numbers, but the vast majority of these cannot be validated by "registrations".

Reply #184944 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

I think digital satellite provides have a way of measuring tv ratings. (the amount of people watching a given show at a time) If thats the case its not so much attendance at games that fox would care about... all they'd care about is who watches it on tv, or specifically on fox.

Reply #184951 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

what sort of crowds go to NZNBL games?

Reply #184998 | Report this post

Weiner  
Years ago

Im guessing that given an equall amount of games, NBL would win hands down in bums on seats over netball comp.

Reply #185050 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Curtley, my parents went to a couple of NZ NBL games the other week. Said the Heat games get about 1,000 or so, while those of another team (can't remember which one - Hawke's Bay?) got 2-3x that I think with line-ups at the door and quite strong support.

I'm going over at the end of May to see a couple of games and will report back. Will be seeing the Heat at home and then on the road against Waikato (the team that has Crowe, Wethers, Pero, etc).

Reply #185107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754