Isaac
Years ago

NH: Grand Theft Auto IV thread

Thought there might be a few people who were already playing or interested in this game.

Got it on Friday (for the 360) and have played through a bit of the story so far. Yet to try the online multiplayer.

As with San Andreas, you can still have a lot of fun just running amok and the story is interesting enough so far.

Graphics and details are a step up from the last iteration, but there's still that element of "grind" - gets pretty boring keeping pals amused by going out for the mini games once you've tried them once, so I've mostly been sticking to various missions or causing trouble instead.

I liked exploding cars in GTA III via shooting the petrol cap, but I'm yet to find the equivalent in IV so really causing a fuss in the early stages is mostly limited to running and gunning.

Anyone else been playing it recently?

Topic #15714 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

The police are out of control in this one!!!

Just bumping into them means you get nailed or touch their car and it ends in a whole lot of pain...

Anyone would of thought it was Victoria...

Reply #185144 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I got this game for 360 yesterday, and so far it has been better than i have expected....
Like Isaac, I still haven't tried online multiplayer, but I have heard that one mode you can just walk around terrorizing the city along with everyone else that is online...

The single player missions have been pretty good so far, I'm getting through it pretty easily...

Reply #185145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't found the cops to be too touchy TR - generally have to make solid contact to set them off. The GameSpot video review (that reviewer sucks - they should never have screwed over the other guy) said that the cop evasion in IV is much easier than III. Now, I haven't played III in a while, but I've found it a reasonable challenge in IV. Often you'll have almost escaped only for two cars to come screaming around the corner and spot you again.

I am missing the gangs from III though. Liked getting attacked with little warning and sparking trouble by default in that one or defending territory and so on.

Would like to see them produce a warzone-type GTA offshoot where you're getting by in a city with 2-3 warring forces, constantly dodging bullets, where every car ride is dangerous, etc.

Reply #185151 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sigh...you young people today

Reply #185155 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

"Would like to see them produce a warzone-type GTA offshoot where you're getting by in a city with 2-3 warring forces, constantly dodging bullets, where every car ride is dangerous, etc"

I see you haven't been to Melbourne lately... They are having a little gang problem down there. Seems the Sudanese and the Islanders are bumping heads. Forget GTA, give the real thing a go.

http://linky.com.au/r24kr

http://linky.com.au/r1nhk

For some stupid reason I'm always getting nailed by the cops in GTA....

Reply #185156 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I'd rather go down fighting then get busted....
My stats show that I have been busted ZERO times!!!
but then again, i have died like 12 (with 1 coming from a HUGE motorbike crash....)

The police evasion in this game is actually pretty good....I like the fact that you have a "zone" you have to get out of in order to reduced your wanted level, and if you have chopper's after you as well it makes life pretty difficult.

Gangs are the big thing I miss most in this game, I liked the fact that your worked with each gang, to take out other gangs.....leading to a hail of bullets if you happen to walk into the wrong neighborhood

Reply #185159 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

from one of TR's links

"Sergeant Mullett warned...."

now that is an unfortunate name.

Sergeant Mullet where is my report?

Mullet get in here.

Mullet what do you think you are doing?

I'll have you badge for this Mullet!

i have a vision of Sgt Mullet making it into the sequal to Starsky and Hutch.

Reply #185163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I picture him being bald for some odd reason.

Reply #185173 | Report this post

If its half as good as San andreas it will be awesome.

I just hope they havent tried to make it too realistic. I heard theres a big process to get into a parked car this time, its way more fun to be able to jump into any old car!

Reply #185174 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't take that long. If the car is unlocked, you get in (sometimes an alarm might sound for a while). If the car is locked, you smash the glass, unlock, get in, and off you go - it's fairly quick.

Reply #185179 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Got it on PS3 Friday night and gave it a good old running over the weekend. Single player is very solid, whilst missing the gangs there is still plenty to do and see.

Car jacking is pretty simple. Pretty much same as before, if someone is in the car they get draged out/punched and you drive away, some will try to retaliate if you dont drive off others run away screaming. If it's a parked car (ie locked/no keys) you do the same thing but if you tap the button it will hotwire the car quicker, if u dont it still gets there just takes a second or so longer no biggie.

Multiplayer is where this game is shining atm. First joining into a session it is like a free roam around the place, can do everything as per single player but with other buddies online. from here with everyone running amuck around the city you can launch into any of the multiplayer modes.

Havn't tried that many but the ones I have totally addictive.

Team Deathmatch. was 2vs2vs2 (not sure what the usual combo's are) so me and my new found partner got a car each a heap of weapons and drove side by side ganging up 2 on 1 style. Mixed it by both getting into the same car one driving one shooting wildly hanging out the car. Ditto with helicopter although the pilot struggled lol they take some skill to fly.

Car Jack - a fun simple idea. Had 8 players 2 cars to jack and get to destination. Jack a car and you've got up to 7 others chasing you to kill you and steal your car. someone else Jacks it and your in hot pursuit, or head to the destination and cut em off at the finish.

A few crash issues that im sure they will iron out eventually with the multiplayer but definetly worth having a shot.

PS easiest way to blow cars up - rocket launcher ;-)

Reply #185180 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It actually worries me a little that I really like this game.......

Next thing I'll be having flashbacks whilst at work...

Reply #185185 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

FWIW - I lost most of my weekend to MarioKart Wii.

Quality.

Reply #185215 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

kad, here is a game for your Wii which could possibly keep you entertained for hours in more ways than you could imagine.

Couple of hot chics, a case of beer, shots of vodka and giddy up...

http://linky.com.au/267yn

Reply #185224 | Report this post

MC's HammerTime  
Years ago

I think the fact that u cant shoot the petrol caps on cars for 'instant exlposion' is a frikn good idea, adds to the realism of the game.

Very happy with this, Rockstar nailed it 10/10 IMO.

Multiplayer is AWESOME, easy to get hooked on that for hours on end

Reply #185258 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

played it for a couple of hours last night.

The polish and depth they have put into this one is breath taking. Just little touches like when you get out of a car and the radio gradually fades away as you leave the vicinity of the car instead of stopping abruptly, is really cool.

damn work, preventing me from playing all night.

Reply #185262 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

Still love GTA on PSP on those long direct flights to QLD.

Reply #185268 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Don't have to many games on the PSP - probably worth picking up at a bargain price now.

Used the remote play for the first real time rather than stuffing around at home when recently away. Was QUALITY, watch any stored media on the ps3 and networked pc streamed over the net straight onto the PSP. Damn wish I travelled alot more now LOL.

Reply #185304 | Report this post

Bent Kenson  
Years ago

I'm pretty fickle when it comes to buying games and I'm only buying GTA 4 if it has custom sountracks.

Does anyone know if the Xbox360 version has a user MP3 radio station like the past pc versions?

Reply #185386 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

Yeah I find the PSP very handy n trips away (travel a lot)

I do sometimes feel like a school boy, but hey better than reading the paper over & over again.

Reply #185406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754