Quagmire
Years ago

Duncan- PF or C?

Why does everyone keep calling Duncan a power forward???

He looks like a center,

He plays like a center,

He gets defended by the center,

He must play center? right?

He is the last of the Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson Shaq and Zo era of dominant skilled big men.

So why is he now called the greatest power forward to ever play the game?

Oberto is more of a PF,
Thomas is a PF,
Horry is a PF,

From this day on can we all please stop calling him a power forward?
Put him in the all-teams as a center, put him on all-star ballots at center coz guess what....

he's a center.

Topic #15798 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Tim Duncan; whilst a great player, is arguably the dullest player to watch on the court. If players in the NBA had a colour assigned to them, he'd be "beige".

Back to the topic, he's the best "whatever" they want him to play. I'd keep him as a PF considering his shooting ability. He's the sort of guy you want moving to the board, not waiting under it for a pass.

Reply #186037 | Report this post

correction  
Years ago

Yeh agree Marty.

Duncan is a great all round big guy. I like him as a PF, he shoots the ball nicely from a bit of range when his defender sags off. I like to think that a 'centre' is more jump hooks and dunks. Don't get me wrong - Duncan has that, but he has a bit more too.

PLUS... He really should have the title of SG after his little episode in Game 1 against the Suns to force overtime. haha

Reply #186042 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

he plays both positions, he is that versitle that he plays both!!!!! he can do all the things a C can do and also can play as a PF he just plainly is one of the best big men to play the game> and no once can say he is not

Reply #186044 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Great player but...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reply #186045 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

The man is versatile enough to play both positions.

I thought Garnett and Duncan defined the PF position and it's since introduced more 6'11 or 7'0 blokes who playing PF. Dirk for one.

Reply #186051 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

The other reason why Duncan is classifed as a PF on the All-Star ballot box is because Yao Ming would defeat him everytime due to China's gigantic population.

The ASG just passed Duncan was originally listed as Centre, but dropped to PF as Yao would have defeated him and they wanted Duncan to win the vote giving him his 9th in a row all-star berth or something similiar in numbers.

Reply #186053 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Duncan is like test match cricket,
you really gotta have a love of the game and some knowledge of the tactics involved to enjoy watching it/him.

The rest of the league play one day matches, except the suns who are flat out IPL.

Reply #186060 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Why is Duncan so boring? Because everyone must have at least one negative against a great champion?

Why is he less exciting than the other PF's in the league (even though he is better than all of them). WHat does he do so differently?

And stupid question or thread because he has played PF his whole career

Reply #186066 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Classic quote there Quagmire.

Duncan's best trait is his ability to use the backboard, seems to always work in awkward looking shots.

Reply #186068 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

the champ 33 - are you just making stuff up about Duncan? He's been listed as a PF in the all star ballot for years.

Reply #186071 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Someone had to be the PF between him and Robinson, and he was and still is.

I think the fact that can play both the low and high post, can knock down the mid range J, and has great all round skills probably puts him in that PF zone more than the C. When he plays with both Oberto and Thomas, he's more of a PF than them anyway.

Reply #186079 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

thedoctor!

Not quite true mate.

He was originally shifted to centre for the 2008 ballot, but they changed it quickly as I quoted above.

Reply #186082 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Source?

Reply #186084 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Actually, just found this on ESPN:

"It's great. I have an opportunity to make the team now," Duncan said after the Spurs 128-110 win over the Orlando Magic on Wednesday. "To have an opportunity to be back on the ballot and to be at the forward, and to have a chance to start, it's an honor."

Houston center Yao Ming gets overwhelming support from China and has been elected to start every year of his career. He received the highest vote total in history in 2005, and the fourth-highest ever last season.

"It's great that they did that. ... It makes total sense and we're thrilled that they made that change," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said in San Antonio. "That's what he's been, he's been that way [a power forward] for 10 years. There's no reason to change it."

Suggests he was changed because he has always been listed as a PF until this year - obvious benefit is that he is no longer in direct competition with yao. Not correct to suggest that this was the motivation behind it. I would say the NBA cares more about the Chinese market than the San Antonio market

Reply #186086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan. Best PF Ever.

Reply #186087 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Duncan best PF ever?

I disagree.

Dennis Rodman best power forward of all-time.

I'd love to throw Charles Oakley in there, but he has no rings like Duncan & Rodman.

Dennis Rodman best PF.

Reply #186118 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Duncan can play either end in Offense....but at the defensive end....he is no Ctr

Duncan is a PF........and yes he is one of the best, but i Malone is the best PF of all time

Reply #186128 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd go with Bob Petit as the best PF. In recent time, Timmy Duncan and then Karl Malone, but it pains me to say Malone...... dirty m*#$&!@$&!(r

Oakley would have to be the hardest PF for a long long time. I've always wondered who would win a street fight between Oak and Charles Barkley. My money is on Oak.

Rodman as the best PF of all time, sorry, but to many offensive issues and mental problems in my book to lay that claim.

I'd go (in no particular order, but placed before Rodman) Malone, Timmy D, Barkley, Kevin McHale, Bob Petit, Garnett, Buck Williams (he was Rodman before Rodman, have a look at his numbers).

Could also debate about Moses Malone and whether has was a C or PF (if classed as a PF he moves in in front of Rodman as well).

I would completely agree with Rodman as being the best defensive PF since Buck Williams.

Reply #186132 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Saw a lot of Bob Pettit to make that call did you TR?

Reply #186137 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

LOL

Rodman was u very undersized PF.......he was great at what he did

But Karl Malone no offence did it all.....rebounded and scored

Malone would give u 20 & 10 night in/night out

The man is the best PF in the history of the game

Reply #186140 | Report this post

whats the difference? who even cares

Reply #186145 | Report this post

What did malone do apart from catch passes from Stockton.

I vote for McHale best ever!

Reply #186147 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

your right, Karl Malone would get you 20/10 every night............then when the playoffs came around would completely fizzle away season after season.

Reply #186148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Tim Duncan
2. Charles Barkley
3. Kevin McHale
4. Karl Malone5

Reply #186151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*scratch the 5*

Reply #186152 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

C

Reply #186153 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Do yourself a favour Jules and grab some of his gametapes and watch him play...

Reply #186158 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Dennis Rodman could have pulled off 10-20 points a night if he wanted too, but he focused on defence and cleaning the boards.

Rodman a very undersized PF and did the job well. Read the play, well conditioned and used the body well.

TR: Oaks would clearly defeat Sir Charles in a street fight. The toughest man of all-time and nobody will come close for years to come mate. But we agree on it, so cool.

Reply #186161 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

The toughest man of all-time!!!!!!!!!!1 are you kidding me. two words......

SHAQ-FU

and Vinny Del Negro is also a brow belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

since when did we start comparing players by who would win in a street fight??

Reply #186162 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

haha ok, just questioning your call of pettit at greatest of all time, seeing as he played in the 50's...

Reply #186166 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's sweet. I was like Bob who before watching a few doco's about him and was impressed so I starting grabbing more video and information about him. He was elite during his time at the PF position.

Reply #186170 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Champ 33 - Rodman could not have dropped 20 a night - he was a horrible offensive player with no range. His points came almost exclusively on lay-ups and offensive rebounds. No way he was best of all-time. Best rebounder definitely. You can't be best of all-time with no offence.

Reply #186173 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Charles Oakley is the toughest all time play with or without street fights. He would play with pain and carry injuries. Nothing would stop this man from performing on the court.

Oaks is the toughest man of all-time.

I even named my budgie after him.

Reply #186176 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Yeah I've never seen much of him, knew he was a star - wasn't he the winner of the first 3 MVP awards?

Reply #186211 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

You want the toughest of All time.....who played thru every niggling pain

AC Green

The man played no matter what ....holds the record for 1192 games straight

Oakley was a Thug.......with a jumper from the top of the key

Reply #186213 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

If we are talking bad m@#$%er f@#$ers; how bout the guy Oakley was scared of... Anthony Mason. Mason was so tough, he made himself cross-eyed by trying to stare himself in the mirror.

Or Oliver Miller, people were just scared he was gonna eat em. Fat. Fat man.

Reply #186220 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Oaks and Mason toughest duo of all-time.

AC Green is a legend and Mr Iron Man.

Reply #186232 | Report this post

Years ago

Dennis Rodman was just as tough, if not tougher, than Charles Oakley. The guy gave his body a pounding night in, night out throughout his career. Rodman played harder than anybody. He was at most 6'8" 220lbs, but he'd throw himself in there with much bigger guys, defending and battling for rebounds, as well as diving all over the court. Oak was tough, but The Worm was just as tough, if not more.

As for Duncan, does it really matter what position he's classed as? He's probably going to do the same thing with his skillset, and play the same, whether you class him as a PF or C.

Reply #186233 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

3!

I like your post.

Reply #186235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He plays as PF as Kurt Thomas is the C.

Reply #186248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754