Isaac
Years ago

NBL approves Bruton and Boucher contracts

Now that the $5k detour is over, the NBL has approved the contracts between the NZ Breakers and CJ Bruton and Dillon Boucher. Bruton has signed for three years, and Boucher has signed for two. CJ:

"I've seen the Breakers change their team and their culture to become more competitive. They're serious about becoming number one and I want to be a part of New Zealand's first championship. You don't play this sport just to be in it."
The signings give New Zealand their local contingent with just imports to be added to: Bruton, Penney, Forman, Ronaldson, Behrendorff, Henare, Jones and Boucher.

NBL article

Topic #15814 | Report this topic

Paul  
Years ago

Good start. Add two good imports and they will be top 4.

Reply #186224 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I've heard they're relocating everyone to the south island as Bruton's ego will take up the entirety of the north island.

.... sorry, couldn't help myself.

I tell you what, that's a hateful combo of Bruton & Penney. There's potential for 50+ppg combined

Reply #186225 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Will be a big score if Penney, Bruton, Forman, Ronaldson and Jones all light it up on the same night.

Reply #186226 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

This frees up Penney to move into a pure SG role. I dare say Boucher will start in the 3 spot with Oscar in the 4 and Ronaldson coming off the bench.

Reply #186228 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Best thing I heard last season was some dude at the pre-season game yell out:

"You can't pass to your ego CJ"

when he threw one out of bounds. Classic.

Maybe that's the reason for the semi-afro? Gotta keep that ego warm...

Reply #186240 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I thought the afro was because he's still trying to prove he's a "playa" from the US and not a standard run-of-the-mill aussie like the rest of us.

Reply #186258 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Bruton signs for 3 yrs with his normal "rip it up and shred it" out clause.

Reply #186270 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

They only going to go with one import?

Reply #186278 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I'm going slightly NH here, but the mention of Bruton's hair reminded me of a conversation I had with a soccer-mad workmate of mine.

He was convinced that if you became the manager of a national team of a people pre-disposed to having really tight curly hair (like a Pacific Islands nation, say) you could get your guys to grow really big, tall, tight afros.

Then, you'd 'hollow' out a middle cylinder of the afro - enough to allow a soccer-sized ball to rest solidly in there.

During the game, your goalie picks up a shot or similar. Your hollowed-out afro dude trots over, the goalie puts the ball in the hollow, and Afro Guy runs hell for leather to the other end and throws himself across the goal line and scores, ball in his hair all the while.

My mate was adamant that not only could this work, there was nothing in the rules of soccer that could prevent it. Can anyone else with a vague knowledge of soccer rules confirm/deny the 'Afro Theory' as being within the rules of the game?

Reply #186282 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Lovely tangent Bo , sounds like conversations worth being a part of .

Reply #186283 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

From my knowledge, there is nothing in the rules to prevent this Bo...although opponents could attempt to head it out?

on another tangent...I have often wondered if during an AFL game you could set up a screen of players not unlike American football, if the players formed a wedge infront of the player with the ball...and stayed within 5 metres..they could shepard the player and ball all the way from one end to the other?

your thoughts please?

Reply #186291 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think you've been watching the Mighty Ducks!

Reply #186293 | Report this post

YAMIBAD  
Years ago

Gotta love Hoops SA. Combine great info with some funny info and you have entertainment for the day.

GOLD!

Reply #186301 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

$5k, cheap price to pay to get not 1 but 2 choice players. I wonder if it should set a precedent? What does that tell you about the NBL? Firstly fine a team for being in breach of rules and then approve their actions. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the situation with Brisbane its still a complete reversal of decisions in issuing a fine first and then letting them get an advantage from the breach of rules.

Reply #186315 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I guess the league didnt think they had much choice if they wanted Bruton and Boucher to be apart of it. As if they had said to CJ you are playing for Brisbane or you can head over seas, he probably would of headed over seas, which i have no problem with personally as i think thats what the league should of done, but the league probably said we dont want to lose one of our top players to europe so allowed him to sign where he wanted, giving NZ a slap on wrist along the way to make it look like they were incharge.
I personally would have liked to see the league say your in Brisbane or not at all and see what Bruton did. Sort of like the kings did to him for his last season there and the lakers did with Kobe. He definatly would of threatened Europe but who knows if he would have gone, from brisbanes perspective they had nothin to lose by doing that, as if he stayed they had a top notch player, if he went to Europe they lose him anyway and atleast he wont be playing against them. I am a CJ fan i just think contracts should be honoured or not signed in the first place. Hopefully the 36ers are CJ's next "European" destination when he moves on from NZ, as he definatly is a great player!

Reply #186332 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not so much up to the NBL at that point as it is between CJ and Brisbane. The matter then is whether they want to force him to play with them.

Reply #186339 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

And whether they want to have it revealed by Bruton the real reason why he suddenly found leaving more attractive than staying ($$$).

Reply #186356 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Bo, there is nothing in the Laws of the Game to prevent this. In fact, there has been a young Brazilian footballer by the name of "Kerlon" who a few years agao caused quite a stir when he did something very similar at the 2005 U20 World Cup. He is dubbed 'The Seal' by locals.

Check out the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y6Yj7GoXPZw

Reply #186423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754