Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Stern: pre-game intros etc over the top

Potentially not good news for those Video Friday enthusiasts on here: David Stern thinks the pre-game introductions and other 'add-ons' which are part and parcel of attending the modern basketball match are just a bit much:

"I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I think they're ridiculous. I think the noise, the fire, the smoke is a kind of assault that we should seriously consider reviewing in whether it's really necessary given the quality of our game."

Topic #15840 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

It's been mentioned already (gee, you aren't reading enough of the forum Bo!) but I don't recall there being a huge amount of discussion last time.

I think the NBA intros look awesome, but don't think they are replicated that well in the NBL as we just don't have that "this is the ultimate level of basketball" feel?

Reply #186504 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Both Ben Wallace (dizziness) and the starting pg for the Cavs whose name I can't remember right now stayed in the locker room for the pre-game in Cleveland the other night because of all the smoke. In their own arena!

Reply #186507 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Lockstock i think it was Delonte West who complained of eye soreness....

Reply #186511 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Last game of LAL at Utah they showed Jackson's pre game where he made mention of the mascot riding a motorised scooter, he instructed the team to cover their faces whenever he was near...

Reply #186514 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Maybe the NBA could switch to pre-game introductions of me posting topics that have already been covered.

I'm 0 for 2 in my last two starts, and if I don't start paying attention my numbers will end up Starks Game 7 against Houston-like

Anyhoo, that's enough of that - I'm off to start a post about Shane Heal apparently signing with the Blaze.

Reply #186529 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

NBL pre-game introductions need to stay simple, pyro and lighting etc only works when you have 10k+ people who actually think that's cool.

Most players in the NBA, despite being physically fit, are basically pansies when it comes to the simple things.

A guy gets clipped behind the ear going for a rebound, so will walk around the rest of the night crying about being "assaulted" then go put ice on his neck when he heads to the bench.

Typical of an old man too, who complains about pyrotechnics and music; if that sort of fan fare had begun in the 50's, there would be no issues whatsoever with it.

Reply #186552 | Report this post

Ricky Wong  
Years ago

oi bo did you hear bogut got drafted number 1 ?

Reply #186662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754