Game 2 LA 35-43 Utah 13-16

In Utah-
Game 3 Utah 20-28 LA 30-37
Game 4 Utah 37-45 LA 14-25

In LA-
Game 5 LA 34-42 Utah 24-28

Totals-
Home 164-204 Away 103-136

Thats a dif of 61 points. Thats 12 every game. The average margin in each game- 8pts.

If you remove the Game 3 results, here is what you get;
Home 144-176 Away 73-99

Can this gross disparity simply be put down to home teams making the plays? Maybe. Not.
ESPN writer Adande said this about yesterdays game-

"The benefits of home were more apparent on the stat sheet: The Lakers enjoyed a 42-28 advantage in free-throw attempts (and that includes the four free throws Bryant shot in the final 10.7 seconds, when the Jazz fouled to stop the clock).

When the Jazz got close to the basket, there was more contact than in a rush-hour crowd shoving into the subway, but rarely a blown whistle. Meanwhile, at the other end, Lamar Odom breezed past Carlos Boozer for a layup and got a gift and-one. And Utah players and coaches are still wondering how Mehmet Okur could wind up sprawling toward the baseline, leaving Pau Gasol alone under the basket for an easy offensive rebound and dunk to put the Lakers ahead by five points with 20.5 seconds remaining. "

Sorry for the long post but i think BOTH Jazz and Laker fans should be a little pissed.

Topic #15846 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Too right Quagmire. This sort of deal has always been the case in most sporting events; the refs have to cave to crowd demands otherwise they warrant an asskicking.

I'm not sure if the refs take mental notes of how many fouls are awarded etc. but when you look at figures like that, especially in a finals race; you'd have to be pissed.

Granted, I'd rather have the lakers win the series, but I'd certainly be pissed if this sort of problem occurs if we had a Hornets/Lakers final.

Reply #186624 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

Judging on those figures the refs seem to be thinking "better to make this decision and be abused by the players and coach of the visitors rather than call it the other way and be abused by basically the entire building"

Reply #186637 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Refs must read this website and Adande's articles because the Lakers are getting all the calls in game 6 at ......Utah! How about that crowd chant at the end of the 2nd quarter.

The last time I heard so much hate in a chant was when Scott Fisher played for Perth.

Reply #186731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:45 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754