Isaac
Years ago

ABL Starting Fives - women

How are the teams looking? Anyone got any info?

Topic #1585 | Report this topic

easy rider  
Years ago

Forestvile

Screen/Smith/Flanagan/Mathews/
Newbold/Mahony/Lindsay/Wilson plus maybe one or two others -to hard for me to work out who will start and who won't?

Reply #18141 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Who is coaching Forestville and is Jess Mahony going to Forestville.

Reply #18142 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

My information is that thew current coach will be there for the 2005 season and if Jess is given the all clear to play by the medical people she will be at the Eagles

Reply #18143 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Southern
looking at
Peddle
Graham
Birbeck
Nelson
Markham
as the likely starters, with young guard Fricker coming into the line-up early in the year after she returns from injury. Nolan, Rogers and Curcic likely to come off of the bench for some quality minutes

Reply #18153 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Richard,

You seem to know a lot of Southern's goings on. are we close to the club?

Reply #18163 | Report this post

woodpecker  
Years ago

Sturt will still be very competitive with the 3 bowleys nixon prob back linder might be back from uni mahney wont leave summerton is an awesome player to have back so sont write them off.
Norwood have marsh and love from wa and i hear erin seward prob and put with that keller and nat buck plus lots of good juniors
And north prob phillips bibby lil keane piwanski and hill if she comes back and if not dhu.
eastern wont be too much diff.
forestville you would think would be close to whats already be said
west lamshed hill mencels back if not thinking of college nobbs and truslove theyll be tough
southern have already been said
centrals and woodville dont know
south will be tough with braithwaite kelson and co kylie evens goes into that side
much more even comp i think and i dont think any team will get their own way in the top 4 or 5.

Reply #18166 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

In the know

Close to southern yes, both mens and womens, but not in the way you would expect, but id be very surprised if the womens line up is much different, as for the mens, well let me tell you Pochint is almost certain not to play, however one or two of his friends from WA who can play some serious ball are said to be very interested. Look for the usuals in hodge boys, Hobo, Clarke, Gerlach, and young guns wood, boal and braithwaite to step up for a big year

Reply #18194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt has this as their starting line up I believe.

Angela Marino
Caroline Nixon
Monique Bowley
Hannah Bowley
Laura Summerton

Reply #18215 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance on this matter...but...

I thought that ABL teams (men and womens) had limits on restricted players, as in they could only have 2 players from a national league team on their roster?

I could be wrong, in fact I probably am.

Reply #18218 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I agree Yogee. Marino, Summerton and Bowley ? two many restricted I think.

Reply #18225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Sturt will rotate the restricted players but it will be interesting when they play finals. Would this effect North and Forestville considering the rumors around on the new line ups? Easterns look the team that will slip the most this season and without Centrals would set to be bottom. Southern could struggle this season but could be the big improvers if the young group can get it all together. Norwood look strong and look set to be a top 4 side. South will have an interesting season and how will they cope with the lose of Deanna? Woodville will sit just above the bottom again and do not look to be big improvers.
Interesting to note the sides looking to shape up for the top 3 are also the 3 strongest junior girls clubs&

Reply #18226 | Report this post

Resting easy  
Years ago

Woodpecker you seem to have named a number of potentially restricted players in your Sturt starters. Four by my count. Do you know of some way these girls might not be restricted? But you are right, if they can all suite it would be a competitive group. Makes you wonder how they could have fitted Kylie N. in doesn't it?

Reply #18242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Restricted players are up to the WNBL/NBL coach on whether they want their players restricted or not.

If Canberra or Adelaide dont restrict any of the names mentioned then they all can play.

Its also got something to do with minutes and club of origin i think.

So Sturt are safe in my opinion.

Reply #18292 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

Anonymous are you on drugs the restricted player regulations are quiet clear and have nothing to do withwith the coach. It is on minutes played/overseas players/autralian squad members

Reply #18299 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

M Bowley - restricted
A Marino - restricted
J Summerton - restricted - will not play due to many australian commitments
C Nixon ????????

Nixon and Bowley could be taken off the restricted list if they have played the magical number of senior games for Sturt.

Reply #18300 | Report this post

middle stump  
Years ago

will woodville retain the lightning girl?

Reply #18316 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Im pretty sure the woodville girl will be heading home.

Reply #18348 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754