M Dizzle
Years ago

J J Reddick - will he ever make it in the NBA?

J J Reddick has come out again and told the Magic to either play him this season or trade him. I Think this is a little rich coming from a player who has barely played in his first few seasons to be putting ultimatums on his club.

He is on a team where the best player at his position is Mo Evans so surely he has a better opportunity at playing in Orlando than anywhere else, after all they drafted him on a strict team need basis.

After his college career many people on here claimed he would make it in the league while others (including me) doubted it. Is it a case that his shortcomings outway his strengths, or that he is not prepared to do the hard yards?

Topic #15850 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

His minutes have dropped from 14.8 to 8.1 MPG.

Wonder where he thinks he could get more time and whether any teams have privately expressed interest in him?

Reply #186628 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Don't know about Reddick (get the feeling he needs a hyphen in the middle of his name)

But a better case could be made for the likes of Morris Almond at the jazz. He continues to torch the D-league but is well behind Ronnie/Korver/Miles.

I'm sure he would love a trade but really what could the jazz get for him that they don't have heaps of already?

Best scenario he gets traded for a future pick. Funnily enough i think he would do well in Orlando.

He could potentialy become a Joe Johnson type player for them.

Your right about Red-dick though M Dizzle, bit much coming in and making demands, always was an arrogant player.

Reply #186631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you are special, his type of player doesn't really make it in the league.

Trajan Langdon is a superior player. So was Ron Mercer.

Reply #186633 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

IMO the Magic have screwed him around a bit. Just before the tradeline Otis Smith stated that JJ was 'untradeable'. Now Otis is saying he's a backup 2 man. He must be the only backup 2 man in the entire league that is untradeable.

He hasn't been given the opportunity to play with consistent minutes. I think he has a bit of value in the league, a team that plays a quick offence and needs a threat from the outside should look at him.

If players like Kapono and Matt Carroll can make it then JJ can.

Reply #186634 | Report this post

Shawn Marion  
Years ago

Kapono is 6'8 and Carroll is 6'6.

Reddick is 6'4 which is bordering on the lower limit for an NBA SG. If you are going to be a spot up shooter in the NBA, you have to atleast have a chance of being able to defend your opponent.

The Magic have one of the weakest backcourts in the NBA. If he can barely get into the rotation there I don't think he has much hope.

Reply #186639 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not to mention that his shooting percentages to date haven't been particularly outstanding either.

Reply #186640 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

New York could be good oppurtunity if they play break neck ball .

Reply #186644 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

When he gets his minutes he produces. Have a look at his game stats for the games he actually played in:

http://linky.com.au/lqjev

The last 5 games before the playoffs highlight this. Yes, not a huge sample size, but still.

@ Atlanta: 11p 4-6 FMG-A (2-3 3GM-A) in 12 mins
@ Washington: 18p 7-14 FMG-A (4-8 3GM-A) in 24 mins
@ Utah: 2p 1-2 FMG-A in 4 mins
@ Toronto: 0p 0-1 FMA-A in 4 mins
@ Detroit: 0p 0-3 FMA-A (0-2 3GM-A) in 6 mins

He is hitting the 3-ball at close to 40%. He only shot the ball 43 times from that area hitting 17 times.

At the moment he sucks, and it's a little wrong a sophomore asking for a trade, but when he does get the opportunities to play he does hold his own. He has admitted that he needs to work harder and learn to play better defence, so that is a start.

JJ's days were number when Orlando signed Shard. Whilst not playing the same position, both like the 3 ball. Between Hedo, Nelson and Shard, JJ's ability to hit the long ball wasn't really required, plus JJ doesn't bring much more to the game (better defense etc etc).

I think JJ is gone but not due to his basketball talent, but more to his 'going to the media' and his skill set not being required. I'm wondering what the Magic will get for him.

Kapono and Carroll offer the same level of skills as JJ. They are nothing bar long range bombers regardless of their size. Kapono couldn't guard a letterbox and Carroll isn't much better but have made careers as being spot up shooters.

Reply #186647 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Opps, forgot to add that JJ has to realise that he isn't a 30 min per game player with his current skill set and he should be happy with around 15-20 per night and look at mastering that role before thinking about 30 a night.

Reply #186652 | Report this post

Coach K  
Years ago

Play my boy, all you gotta do is set a minimum 9 picks per set for him and he'll do the rest.

I missed you this year JJ

Reply #186658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny how you guys can judge a player even though he has never had a real opportunity at all in the NBA, and when he gets 5 minutes of court time you all say how bad his numbers are (how does that work). The guy is an absolute gun, who just needs some decent playing time.

Reply #186683 | Report this post

ddfadf  
Years ago

reddick has every reason to be played VAN GUNDY HATES HIM on a normal team reddick would go for nearly 10-15 points a night in 25minutes so i think this is just stupid by orlando a team that needs a 3point shooter eg. phoenix would love to have him

Reply #186686 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Anonymous,
You have a go at everyone else for judging him but you judge him yourself! Just because your judgement is positive doesnt really make it different to everyone elses point of view.

Reply #186749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754