Quagmire
Years ago

Where to now for the Jazz?

Awful loss on the weekend highlighted to me that there are two types of players- regular season and playoff types.
Deron is all that and more. What a champion.
Boozer was such a let down, as was Okur.
Both of those players needed to be injected with some guts. They complained all game about the fouls and forgot what they were there to do. They let players like Gasol catch the ball in the spots they love, they never fronted, they never apply preassure, they didn't vary anything to keep Gasol guessing. They just were very weak for a playoff frontcourt.

Now the question is, can they bounce back next year? Can you teach heart? Or is it going to be a time when Utah management need to look seriously at these two guys and make a tough move themselves...
As it stands- that front court will not win a championship. Deron is too good a player to waste.

Topic #15875 | Report this topic

speedy  
Years ago

I hope from here onwards we can just talk hoops instead of poor Foxtel coverage like we're suppose to... anyways Jazz showed a lot of heart in the last quarter to come back in this one ..they hit some big 3s especially Kiralenko ... but for an elimination game they left their run too late and let Lakers get too far ahead. Okur is a good shooter we all know he aint a big man on the paint. it's Boozer that had subpar game and series aside from game 3

Reply #186858 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

In all honesty though...that Lakers team is very good. If they can get over the West, I think they can beat either of "the two eastern conference playoff teams" (no spoilers =) ).

Reply #186864 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

the jazz are a very good team they just need, everyone to be more consistant the only player who was, was d will, boozer had a shocker of a series but we all know can be unstopable just needs to be more consistant same with okur!!
need to just go to pre season training and work there asses off to improve areas of there game that they struggle with and maybe add another 2 man, not that ronnie brewer didnt have an excellent series, but they need one more consistant player to do anything huge next playoffs

Reply #186889 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

yeah they are close. I wouldn't panic just yet. Getting to the Conference Finals and Semis the last 2 years is not too bad and the players can only get better !! Now Suns, Dallas and Denver need to have a good look !!!

Reply #186895 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Trade Kiralenko for a SF that can put points on the board

Maybe someone like a Caron Butler

They did however get beated by the best team in the west

Quag.....Boozer is listed at 6'9.......Gasol 7'0

With the spacing the Lakers had on the floor, had Boozer fronted Gasol...it wouldve been a lob over the top almost every play for the score

Reply #186900 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Williams and Boozer are Malone/Stockton MK2 (as no doubt everyone worked out). Both will play good games provided they back each other up.

Kirilenko needs to be replaced for sure; he's too incosistent for my liking. As Fez said, someone like Butler would be nice.

A roleplaying centre would be nice, Okur tries to do an Amare and be a centre who's an offensive force. If Okur was moved to PF and Boozer to SF and you have a decent centre, I'm sure Okur would repeat what Amare did in Phx once shaq came and actually be a better offensive threat.

Utah actually have a decent bench team considering, so mainly a shift in starters is the key to work around Williams/Boozer.

Reply #186908 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I'm just saying as a defender, if i'm getting beat, try something else, you don't have to do it every time, front once, then try giving them left or right moves using your feet, try a steal from around the body (don't be aggressive and get a foul- its just to distract him)
What i saw was Gasol getting the ball down low, exactly where he wanted it, then when he caught it he had all the time in the world to look for cutters / open shooters. He needed to be given something to think about, to distract him, maybe make him second guess a pass or shot choice.
He was just under zero pressure and that is not good enough in the playoffs.

Also- since when is Gasol and Odom a gun defensive front line? Both have been sledged in the past for lacking the guts to play D. More props to Phil Jax i guess...

Reply #186909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boozer bit like Malone. Went missing when it mattered.

Reply #186911 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Okur and Boozer can score and rebound, but can't defend or block shots. They really need a shot-blocking big man to guard the rim. I think they are hoping Fesenko can develop into that player, but he didn't do too much in the D-League. Other than that they are solid and have a decent bench.

Reply #186917 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Agree, there is no quality post defender with height to guard a center playing for Utah. Collins is it but he is an offensive liability.

Reply #186919 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

"Boozer bit like Malone. Went missing when it mattered."

Anonymous...that's cold bro.

I like it.

I remember it was the 97 finals, and Malone missed 2 clutch free throws that pretty much gave Chicago the game. Later on Michael Jordan says he told Malone "The mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays" as he got ready to shoot....they were playing on a Sunday.

Reply #186929 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

That's the sort of quote you etch onto a statue of the scene in question.

Good quote to stick on your mailbox.

Reply #186991 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think that if the Jazz can get Roy Hibbert in the draft that could be huge. The kid is 7-2 and i think that he could be that big shot blocking centre that the Jazz have been lacking.

Reply #186995 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Ak47- i noticed in a few mock drafts that we may get a chance to draft that big guy Hibbert (doctor Hibbert anyone?)

Seems he would be a top fit to the side.

Reply #186999 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

talking abou the fact they coudl do with a centre and maybe another 2 man what about almond he has played well in the d league and is a decent outside mid range shooter prob not a starter but a good point scorer off the bench none the less IMO what does everyone else think?
also what abaout jazz get JJ reddick and see what he can do

Reply #187061 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

talking abou the fact they coudl do with a centre and maybe another 2 man what about almond he has played well in the d league and is a decent outside mid range shooter prob not a starter but a good point scorer off the bench none the less IMO what does everyone else think?
also what abaout jazz get JJ reddick and see what he can do

Reply #187062 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

When Reddick came out, apparently the Jazz were going to draft him to fill the gaping void at the 2-guard, but the Magic nabbed him higher in the draft. Since then, Brewer has developed his game to match his athleticism, Korver has been brought in, CJ Miles has shown signs of developing a decent game as well (when given the opportunity), plus Almond is tearing up the D-League. The Jazz now have a glut of young players at the 2, and Reddick is (so far) a bust. Even if he would be better with the Jazz, he would just give them 5 players at the SG slot, so that would make no sense. If anything, the Jazz would be better trading one of their young guards for the big man they need.

Reply #187091 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754