kurtsmells
Years ago

B-Easy or D-Rose? Whos numero uno?

For everyone other than the Lakers, celts, spurs and D-troit fans the NBA season is well and truly over.
So we move onto the important things in life like who will be drafted and by who?
Mike Beasley and Derrick Rose seem to be packing their bags for Chicago or Miami but who is going where?
What do you guys about the draft this year how does it compare to other years and who do you rekon will or should get drafted by who?

1.Chicago
2.Miami
3.Minnesotta
4.Seattle
5.Memphis
6.NY
7.LA Clips
8.Milwaukee
9.Charlotte
10.NJ

Whos going where?

Topic #15969 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id suggest Rose will be drafted by Chicago @ number 1. Dont be surprised if they opt for a trade or two......rumour mill suggests they are looking at Carmello?

Reply #187930 | Report this post

Years ago

My Top 10 at this point, barring trades:

#1 - Chicago Bulls - Derrick Rose, PG
#2 - Miami Heat - Michael Beasley, PF
#3 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Brook Lopez, C
#4 - Seattle Sonics - O.J. Mayo, SG
#5 - Memphis Grizzlies - Kevin Love, PF
#6 - New York Knicks - Danilo Gallinari, SF
#7 - Los Angeles Clippers - Jerryd Bayless,PG/SG
#8 - Milwaukee Bucks - Eric Gordon, SG
#9 - Charlotte Bobcats - Anthony Randolph, PF
#10 - New Jersey Nets - DeAndre Jordan, C

I base this on teams' current rosters. I feel those picks make the most sense in terms of what those teams already have, their styles, and what they need. I don't care if they're not "sexy" picks. The end result is what matters most.

A couple of those picks (LAC, Milwaukee, Charlotte) were tough, because they have players at every position, just not enough good players, obviously, so it's a bit hard to figure out which direction to go in.

Reply #187935 | Report this post

Years ago

Just so people are aware (because some might not be familiar with some of these names), Draft Express lists the following as 'Best Case' and 'Worst Case' scenarios for each player I listed, as in who they are most similar to if they develop as expected. Obviously these are purely subjective. I've also listed what are said to be their projected NBA positions:

#1 - Chicago Bulls - Derrick Rose, PG
Best Case - N/A
Worst Case - Devin Harris

#2 - Miami Heat - Michael Beasley, PF
Best Case - Amare Stoudemire meets Antawn Jamison
Worst Case - Derrick Coleman

#3 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Brook Lopez, PF/C
Best Case - Chris Kaman meets P.J. Brown
Worst Case - Brendan Haywood

#4 - Seattle Sonics - O.J. Mayo, PG/SG
Best Case - Chauncey Billups
Worst Case - Joe Forte

#5 - Memphis Grizzlies - Kevin Love, PF
Best Case - David West
Worst Case - Sean May

#6 - New York Knicks - Danilo Gallinari, SF
Best Case - Hedo Turkoglu
Worst Case - Mike Dunleavy, Jr.

#7 - Los Angeles Clippers - Jerryd Bayless, PG/SG
Best Case - Monta Ellis (w/better PG Skills)
Worst Case - Louis Williams

#8 - Milwaukee Bucks - Eric Gordon, SG
Best Case - Rich Man's Ben Gordon
Worst Case - Shannon Brown

#9 - Charlotte Bobcats - Anthony Randolph, SF/PF
Best Case - Rudy Gay
Worst Case - Tim Thomas

#10 - New Jersey Nets - DeAndre Jordan, C
Best Case - Andrew Bynum
Worst Case - Patrick O'Bryant

Supposedly Minnesota are now leaning towards Kevin Love, and Seattle is leaning towards Jerryd Bayless. I don't really see the need for either of those players on those teams really, because they both seem to create more of a logjam at certain positions (PF for Minnesota, PG for Seattle) than really fill any needs (C for Minnesota, SG for Seattle).

I can see Love being a good compliment for Al Jefferson, but they still really need a truer Centre, hence why I think Brook Lopez would be a good pick.

I suppose Bayless will probably fit in with Seattle, if they are keeping Kevin Durant at SG and Jeff Green at SF, but I just don't see it working with Earl Watson and Luke Ridnour still on the roster, so one of them would have to go. I think Seattle should get themselves a straight out better player, who has more potential, and can play SG more comfortably if they really need him to, and that's why I think they should pick O.J. Mayo.

But then again, these NBA GMs probably know what their team needs more than I do :-P I don't really take a player's character or team chemistry into consideration that much, and obviously GMs do, so those things would obviously play a part in their decisions.

A bit off-topic, but geez Draft Express has a lot of info on these guys :-D It's really worth going there and reading up on this stuff, if you're really interested.

Reply #187939 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

"Id suggest Rose will be drafted by Chicago @ number 1. Dont be surprised if they opt for a trade or two......rumour mill suggests they are looking at Carmello? "

I would pay about 500 bucks for a melo bulls jersey!

Reply #187940 | Report this post

Rodney carney  
Years ago

Bulls are already too guard heavy.. unless they're looking to trade.

Reply #187943 | Report this post

If i were Beasley or Rose i would want to get selected 2nd so i got to live in Miami instead of cold windy Chicago.

Reply #187946 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Beasley... i just got a feeling he will not be the player people think he will be.

Fans see the numbers and read the reports, GM's look at the game and the physical aspects. Where do you play this guy? He is not 6'10. He is 6'9 at best. A real "tweener" alert. Can you imagine him next to Boozer or West or Duncan??!! Not likely, he is therefore more like a bigger sized SF right? So don't expect the rebounding numbers from college to translate to the big show.

Kevin Love. I love his game but he will not be able to play NBA with his current body shape. Tall, long defenders of the Odom ilk will give him major fits, and he will be abused in defense.

Brandon Rush is a major sleeper in this draft. I think he would walk into the starting 5 for the magic and that team would be much better for it.

O.J Mayo will be great, there are some concerns about his position, i say get him the ball. In the NBA your either a wing or a banger, he is a wing, get him the ball and let him score/create. His stock is on the rise in a big way, i expect him to go to the wolves.

Reply #187947 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Forgot to mention the biggest lock of the draft, Dan the man Gallinari to the knicks.

Reply #187952 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bulls will go with Rose. They will trade Hinrich. Hinrich has an interesting contract. He's owed $37 million over the next 4 years, but it decreases. Next year he's due $10.2 million and by 2011 he's due $8.25 million.

Reply #187954 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

a few days back i was thinking chicago would take beasley, under the thought that they already had hinrich, and what good is a good point guard with no one to dish it to.

BUT! after youtubing derrick rose, i have a new opinion. anyone who doesnt take him number 1 is crazy. i had no i dea of his all round game and athletism till then, only read the usual writeups.

chicago should pick him, and KEEP HIM. they may regret it in the long run otherwise

Reply #187956 | Report this post

Is anyone alse scared by the Derrick Coleman comparisons?

One of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of mankind (pardon the Waltonism)

And I'm not too sure that 'Chris Kaman meets P J Brown' should be taken as a compliment by Lopez!

Reply #187959 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Chicago should take Rose, he has the potential to be a top 5 player in the league which I don't think Beasley has. Mind you there is an article on Realgm with Joey Dorsey claiming inside info on the Bulls taking Beasley.. I think one of Love or Lopez drops a bit on draft night.

Reply #187964 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Quagmire, D'Antoni doesn't like Gallinari.

Theres no point trying to break it down, they are both studs, there should be no doubts about Beasley, there should be no doubts about Rose. Both positions fit for Chicago and have pieces in both positions if they want to trade for whatever they dont draft. You just cant go wrong with either one.

I think the only reason everyone here is stamping Rose at 1 is because they know more about him and have seen him in the championship games. I guarentee is Beasley took Kansas State that far (it would be by himself) people would be thinking a lot differently having seen him in action(not just youtube clips).

Teams wanting to be great build their teams around big men, but nowadays if you can't find a great big man, a PG is the second option. Rose might get the nod though because he is Chicago native, thats how close it is that that is what separates him

Reply #187978 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Thanks for the heads up on Gallinari.
Do you really classify Beasley as a "big man"? Scouts have doubted the 6'10 claim and wonder about his position on an NBA team. I would actually really like to see him picked up by miami and have them field a wade/matrix/beast team that could really run and score in big bunches, as well as get out and trap on defense.

What is the word on Eric Gordon? How far will he fall after being heavily scouted early in the college season?

Reply #187984 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I've read Milwakee like him at 8th which is another way of getting rid of Redd (the Cavs are gonna go after that...HARD). Beasley is a monster, don't read into his height, its not about his height. He is a huuuge inside presence, has amazing strength and speed combined with great post moves (on top of a very good outside game.) He'll be virtually impossible to guard. It can be asked of both players...what cant they do?...

Reply #187993 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think Jules hit the nail on the head. Chicago could pick up either players and trade someone off to better the team, which I think they'll do. But the Chicago natives are a little restless and there is plenty of pressure for Paxson to go with Rose because he is a local boy.

Reply #187995 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Your Paxon you go with Rose. He has a huge upside in that all the good PG's are in the west and if he takes time to develop, the hometown fans will be patient. Worst case scenario he is still going to be an OK player the fans will like.

You take the Beast the worst case scenario is Rose playing like D-wade and Beasley like a young Jamison and you get lynched by the Chicago fans.

Bulls will take Rose and be open to trades, i personally think they could play both Rose and Hinrich but we shall see.

Reply #188046 | Report this post

Mr? M.Jackson  
Years ago

Hinrich would be better at the 2, than the point. He is also a good defender. Trade Gordon, and/or Deng. They are the cancers on this team.

Reply #188064 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Good chance that Beasley will be a college stud, but a NBA dud.

He is undersized at the 4, and IMO not quick enough at the 3.

Go Rose Chi Town.

Reply #188067 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

DB, I think that Beasley is quick enough to slot into the 3. If anything he is undersized for the 4, but has the speed and athleticism to cover for this, especially since the 4 is going away from the low block and becoming a midrange area. What I mean by that is there isn't the bruisers in the 4 position like in the good old days. No Malone's, Barkley's, Willis's, Oakley's to bash against.

The most common weakness that I've read about Beasley is his attitude. Nearly ever report I've look at states that he tends to coast a little, and gets bored against weak competition. He also lacks a bit of mental toughness. Fingers crossed that should be addressed in the NBA.

I think that if your Miami you don't really care who slips to 2. It's a win-win for them. Chicago could cop a little bit of ribbing from selecting the other player, especially if that other player explodes and their pick is average (which I think neither play will be). Both are worthy of the first pick.

Reply #188082 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Agreed - get rid of Gordon before Hinrich. Hinrich's trade value wouldn't be great now anyway.

Reply #188083 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Alexander is the sleeper in the draft. this dude can flat out play and if he lands at Portland look out for them as a top 2 western conference force within 2 years. Oden, Roy, Alexander, Aldridge etc

Reply #188090 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Okay, I would still take the home town boy though. I have read that as well regarding Beasley's attitude. Bulls already have a hot cold player in Gordon.

Agree re Miami as well, like Seattle last year, they can really do no wrong.

Also the Bulls have a logjam at the 2-4 positions, a true point guard is the correct pick here, and package others into a trade that gets a low block scorer. Bulls also have Drew Gooden who gets a double double most nights, so IMO the 4 is covered. Noah can swing there, and Thomas is still very raw, but plays the 4.
No one will touch Hughes' contract, Gordon, Deng, Thomas and Nocioni are trade bait here, and pretty attractive options for other teams. If only we had gone through with the Gasol trade....sigh..

Reply #188093 | Report this post

Years ago

I've also heard that D'Antoni wasn't impressed when he looked at tape of Danilo Gallinari last year. However, Danilo's father Vittorio is an old teammate of Mike D's, and he appears pretty keen on his son going to New York, because of D'Antoni and the strong Italian pressence in NY. Apart from that, you know Donnie Walsh will be having the last word on any Knicks pick this year.

Reply #188107 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Every year this happens. A guy is deemed to not make it in the league because of his height. The Nba game is getting faster and Beasley is a prototypical PF for today's game. If you think any GM would envisage him even playing 10 mins a game as a 3 then your wrong. He isn't tall for his position but by no means is he short or a 'tweener'. Millsap led the nation in rebounding in college and he's 6'8 at best, why should Beasley's rebounding numbers significantly drop? He has great athleticism and a frame which he can build on. The fact is the guy can flat out ball.

For the record i'd take Rose...

Reply #188135 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Hey Lockstock,

Saw some footage of your boy Alexander. He looked real good man, getting some good elevation on his jump shots, should be able to get em off anytime he wants. Word is he is real strong too.

Blazers would cream to get him.

Reply #188412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:00 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754