Isaac
Years ago

Newley and the NBA

Brad Newley's little secret ain't too secret anymore ... an NBA scout was reportedly at the last Townsville game to check on Newley's progress since the u20 Worlds. It was announced at the game during half-time even.

How did he respond to the pressure while playing the Razorbacks on the road?

In 25 minutes: 22 points at 78% (7 of 9) including 2 of 2 threes and 6 of 6 free throws) plus 3 blocks, and no turnovers. This included 16 points in the opening quarter during a 6 minute flurry.

"He's kind of like the microwave," Stacker said of young blood Newley. "He just comes in and things start happening."

Nice work!

Topic #1597 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

Maybe him starting in the All-star 5 won't be the embarresment that we thought it would be

Reply #18280 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kriss, I don't think that many others ever thought it would be an embarrassment!

BTW, SA's other NBA prospect, Luke Schenscher, continues to do well with Georgia Tech.

Yesterday, he had 7 points and 15 rebounds (game high) in 26 minutes. He also added 5 blocks and 2 steals as the Yellow Jackets beat Virginia 92-69.

Luke is expected to go in the second round of the NBA draft for the next season.

Reply #18282 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What would Newleys Points Per Minute Average be?

Easily over 35 per game i would think

Reply #18283 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

According to NBLGM.com: 31.77 points per 48 minutes.

For comparison, Wethers is 31.74, Farley is 27.6, Gaze is 29.53, Roberts is higher at 35.13.

However, those stats might be out -- Deba George is listed as 36 points per 48 minutes, yet has only scored 3 points in a total of just over 6 minutes on court (which is 24 PP48).

Reply #18285 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Makes it more dissapointing that he is not a sixer. Can you imagine the outcry from Nagy if any previous coach didn't try hard to recruit him as apparently the coaching braintrust of Adelaide weren't that interested!

Reply #18288 | Report this post

K-Time Bars  
Years ago

Jay, he did not want to come to Adelaide as he would hve sat on the bench and had no exposure.

Reply #18296 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

cant agree with you on that one. Would have played similar minutes at Adelaide possibly more. He would have been ahead of both Williams and Ng in the rotation.

Reply #18303 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Well, as well all know, Adelaide didn't really bother.

Reply #18306 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Didn't mean he was a dissapointment but for Newley to get the starting nod over the top Australian player Brett Maher was at the least suprising, i know the fans vote but come on a rookie over a tested olympion and finals MVP

Reply #18318 | Report this post

ebay  
Years ago

If Newley goes to NBA and plays little court time, is he really better off?

Going from backup guard/rookie to go-to man in one or two seasons is something I think Brad could and will achieve...

AT TOWNSVILLE
but not in the NBA

Just my opinion but I think a twenty year old is going to improve much faster being one of the best players in his NBL team, rather than a 10th man for an NBA team.

Did Heal or Gaze make waves in NBA
not even splashes!

I think he's doing just fine at Townsville.

The only critiscism I have of him and its nothing really but. He does let it show when he's upset.
A rookie should accept the refs call wrong or right, not screw their face up at every bad call.

Reply #18320 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

How about we all let the poor bastard just play hoops. He is still so young and hopefully has a long career in front of him. Lets just let him play and develop naturally. If he is good enough the oportunities will be there for him when HE is ready.

Reply #18352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kriss the reason newley got the vote over maher is cos maher was injured and they probably feared him reinjured or something

Reply #18354 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the reason that Newley got more votes was because the event is being held in Townsville, and I suspect that the SMS voting was publicised by the Crocs (perhaps at games?).

I don't remember the 36ERS sending out a newsletter or posting in their forum or putting up an article about it. Not sure.

Reply #18355 | Report this post

leaver  
Years ago

he isnt that good but a pretty good rookie, s black went for 38 v w/gong as captain, that is pretty good!

Reply #18359 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754