thedoctor
Years ago

Bogut Signed Extension?

Had an email from a fellow poster yesterday saying Bogut had agreed to a 5 year, $86 million extension with the Bucks, making him a $16,600,000.00 per year player, and by far the highest paid Aussie sportsperson. Apparently a report showed Bogut at his training facility in Melbourne, but he wouldn't discuss it as it wasn't finalised, but would be inked in June.

Can't find any articles anywhere. Anyone heard anything similar?

Topic #15988 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Oh well, guess he's gonna be a Buck... That really sucks, i'd love to see him play for a better franchise, get some more exposure down here.. Great for him though, big bucks. (excuse the pun)

Reply #188190 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was on ch.10 news, last nite. He was interviewed at his gym in melbourne. He confirmed amount is $83,000,000. Done. But insurance and contract effective July. ch.10 mentioned that takes him to no.1 aussie sportsperson for earnings.

Reply #188195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would get so much more publicity if here were playing for a big name team like the bulls or celtics or lakers. Kind of disappointed about this. Want him to be on a winning team. Lets hope the Bucks can become one. He must believe they can succeed if he's signing up for 5 years.

Reply #188197 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

I don't think it sucks at all. It's great that he has chosen to remain loyal to a club that picked him at No.1 overall. He's obviously a high quality person with good morals. His situation reminds me of Matthew Pavlich re-signing with the Dockers, rather than chasing a premiership elsewhere!

Reply #188199 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I saw the report overnight also on channel 10 news. It would be nice to see him @ a better franchise but he likes the Bucks and the quite Milwaukee. Hopefully they can improve the rosters with better players around him.

Perhaps it's time to trade Michael Redd.

Reply #188200 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Damn....... He ripped the Bucks on that one. That is a serious overpayment (if true)....

Considering the payments of other centres (and players) he's really overpaid....

Same comparisons:

Joe Johnson - $14,976,754 (09/10)
Jason Richardson - $13,333,332 (09/10)
Lebron James - $15,779,912 (09/10)
Josh Howard - $11,390,000 (09/10)
Melo - $15,779,912 (09/10)
Camby - $10,900,000 (09/10)
Yao - $16,378,325 (09/10)
Kaman - $10,400,000 (09/10)
Gasol - $16,452,000 (09/10)
Dwayne Wade - $15,779,912 (09/10)
Richard Jefferson - $14,200,000 (09/10)
Chandler - $12,300,000 (09/10)
Dwight - $14,410,581 (09/10)
Dalembert - $12,025,694 (09/10)
Pryzbilla - $6,857,725 (09/10)
Manu - $10,728,130 (09/10)
Parker - $12,600,000 (09/10)
Bosh - $15,779,912 (09/10)
Boozer - $12,323,900 (09/10)
Okur - $9,500,000 (09/10)
Butler - $10,030,970 (09/10)

That makes Bogut's contract even more disgusting...... Bad move by the Bucks

Reply #188213 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Bogut is an Aussie and we'll take that cash anyway overpaid or not. Terrific stuff.

Reply #188215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope that the Bucks can give Bogut a bit more of the ball. Must be hard to get with Williams and Redd jacking up all those shots. Boguts numbers have improved every year so lets hope he can again improve on his already solid 14.3 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.7 bpg and 0.8 spg from this season.

Reply #188217 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Good luck to him, but contracts like that hamper the club improving, especially when they already have some disgusting contracts to begin with.

I think Boguts extension will offically kick in before the 2010/2011 season. If no trades occur then they are paying Bogut at $16.6 (ish), Redd at $18.3 and Mo at $9.3, Bell at $3.8 and Gadzuric at $7.2. That's a total of $55+ million.

Reply #188221 | Report this post

Ted Nugent  
Years ago

What a great reflection on our society... A big goof that only just passed high school... with tutoring I might add... makes $16 mil a year.

Please, Mr Farmer add more growth hormone to our food chain... so my kids can be 7 foot too.

Reply #188223 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Maybe he could buy the NBL with his spare change?

Reply #188225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats what u call a good agent!!!!

Reply #188228 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Good for him... As for the previous post - jealous much? - if you reckon Boges is a goof you clearly haven`t listened to many NBA "College Grads" - even the GOAT has trouble stringing a coherent sentence together a lot of the time - as far as Bogut goes, he strikes me as more thoughtful and honest than the GREAT MAJORITY of the guys running around the court in the NBA... I agree the $$$ in US pro sports are obscene but to make that an (unfounded most likely) attack on the guys intelligence (given all the evidence to the contrary) is laughable... Besides the owners rake in many times what the players get (that is the obscenity - if you ask me)...

On another note:

Has the NBL found it`s Frank Lowy - maybe we can pull a CBA (Chinese BB Assoc. - as they do with Yao and Yi) and make him pay back 50% of his after tax to the NBL (that was a joke BTW!!!)...

Reply #188230 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Champ 33 basically said what needs to be done. Michael Redd needs to be given the arse and replaced. The bucks have played better as a team without redd because they don't have to rely on a clutch player for important shots.

The teams assists, points, rebounds and fg% are all up when Redd doesn't play. Keep in mind that during the laker dynasty in the early 2000's; the bucks were actually one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference. They have the talent (while not heavily advertised talent) which can work with bogut.

Reply #188231 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Problem isn't as simple as trading Redd.

Firstly the Bucks have to find a taker for his $30+ million for the next two years, plus there is a option that could blow out to just under $50 mill by the end of 2010/11. Not many teams want to take on that cash with Lebron, Wade, Melo and Bosh potentially becoming free agents before Redd expires. Sure a lot of teams would like him, but not at the cost it would take to aquire him.

Reply #188237 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

The Bucks have overpaid considerably but at least they have secured their best prospect longterm. I thought he would have been worth somewhere in the 8-12 million region, maybe something similar to Chris Kamans contract. This puts the pressure right on Bogut now to perform, especially if they move Redd which I hope they do.

Reply #188245 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah can't find it confirmed anywhere on the web, those rumour sites are normally all over stuff like this, no matter where in the world it is reported.

Did he actually confirm the amount on the news, or just the fact that he signed?

If it is true, its a massive overpayment. They could have surely still signed him for cash in the Camby/Kaman range of 10-11 mil, instead of 16 mil a year. No other teams really have 16 mil in cap space free that would take him, so why waste the cash? Same with Lewis, why spend it when you don't have to? It will only kill their free agent options and hence Bogut's chances of playing in a winning team.

They then therefore have to win a championship with basically their current roster. I don't see that happening.

Reply #188247 | Report this post

Boo Radley  
Years ago

Bogut is definitely not overpaid.

When you put him up against other NBA centre's salaries on your list Bogut is getting pretty much exactly what he should be, down to the dollar.

Statiscally Bogut is in the top 8 of NBA centre's.

Reply #188249 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

yeah but the top 8 NBA centers are getting paid about 10 mill. Dalembert is getting like 12 but he is overpaid too. So i still think 16 is a stretch, that's franchise player money.

Reply #188250 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The interviewer said ' $83,000 000. What are you going to do with all that money?' He said " I find it hard to talk about it, actually." Then ch 10 mentioned that amount, plus what he has already earned will take him to no.1 in earnings for an aussie sports person. So I take it as genuine.

Reply #188253 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bogut is no better than Dalembert, Camby or Kaman and should not be getting $16 mill per year. That's way too much for what he produces...

He's not in the same league as Yao or Dwight....

Bogut
PPG 14.3
RPG 9.8
APG 2.6
SPG 0.8
BPG 1.7
FG% 0.511
FT% 0.587
3P% 0.000
MPG 34.9

Dalembert
PPG 10.5
RPG 10.4
APG 0.5
SPG 0.5
BPG 2.3
FG% 0.513
FT% 0.707
3P% 0.000
MPG 33.2

Camby
PPG 9.1
RPG 13.1
APG 3.3
SPG 1.1
BPG 3.6
FG% 0.450
FT% 0.708
3P% 0.300
MPG 34.9

Kaman
PPG 15.7
RPG 12.7
APG 1.9
SPG 0.6
BPG 2.8
FG% 0.483
FT% 0.762
3P% 0.000
MPG 37.2

Dwight
PPG 20.7
RPG 14.2
APG 1.3
SPG 0.9
BPG 2.2
FG% 0.599
FT% 0.590
3P% 0.000
MPG 37.7

Yao
PPG 22.0
RPG 10.8
APG 2.3
SPG 0.4
BPG 2.0
FG% 0.507
FT% 0.850
3P% 0.000
MPG 37.2

Reply #188256 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Here's the thing - the Bucks management and coaching staff would know better than anyone else how much Bogut is worth (and his potential upside)... What if 2-3 years down the track we look at this contract and say - wow he is coming cheap. Unlike the Rashard Lewis contract - the Bucks have had 3 years to do due dilligence on Bogut and his game - they clearly see the risk/reward as being acceptable (with Rashard - they had a slot less to go on)... He definitely picked his game up last season - and still has room to get better no doubt - lets revisit this thread in 2-3 years time and see how it looks...

And Bogut ####s on Sammy D...

Reply #188260 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

TR - of course he's not in the same league as Yao or Dwight; that will take another 2-3 years so he has the same level of experience as they do now.

Considering his stats have been on the increase since his rookie season; I can see that improving. He's faster than the majority of the centres in the league and considering his role, is an awesome passer and has decent ball handling skills.

With the new contract; if they help build him more, he'll easily be a 20/10 man; I can also see him as an allstar in the next couple of years. While he has bloody hard competition with existing centres, he's still got a long career ahead to step up more.

Reply #188266 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I've got not problems with Bogut's talent level and I have high hopes that he can fulfill his contract obligations. $16 million a year gets you an established All-Star, not a 4 year player averaging 14 and 10.

I do have issues with the Bucks offering such a large amount. At the end of the day he's a 14ppg and 10rpg player who is now potentially (no one has still confirmed) earning over $16 million dollars a year. If Bogut is getting $16 million then Kobe and Lebron should be asking for $40 million. Elton Brand should be asking for $20 mill plus.

Bogut has done nothing to justify that type of money. You don't chuck $16 mill a season at a guy that has potential.

If Redd gets traded then guess who the Bucks fans will target, the dude with the biggest contract, Mr Bogut. Bogut has already displayed that he's not the strongest mentally and hows it going to be when the fans a hunting for his blood if he doesn't improve at all. $16 million is a lot of money for 14ppg and 10 rpb.

Congratulation to him and his agent for getting that much, and until I see that figures and hows it is structured than I'm going to say the Bucks totally overpaid.

If potentially he could earn that money with incentives over 6 years (similar to Camby), a the contract that is structured correctly then okay, but to hand $80 million dollars to a 4 year player that hasn't taken his team to a decent playoff run, nor made an All-Star team is way over paying.

Reply #188276 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hey TR,
Totally agree with you mate. My jaw dropped when I heard 83 million on channel ten.

I love the way Bogut has come along in the NBA and his commitment to Australian basketball, but he is not going to be a dominant centre like a Howard, Yao, Shaq, Olajuwan or Ewing. I see him as developing into a pretty good centre in an era where franchise centres are pretty scarce.

I'd prefer Bogut got a contract more like 12 million per season. That'd be much better for his psyche long term because there will be less pressure on him to become a franchise player and more chance he will play on a good team in the long run.

I'm still inclined to believe that the Australian media have inflated the figure, but there was an article I found that had some interesting information, including the possibility that he might get 15 million per season:

http://thebratwurst.com/2008/03/27/how-much-is-andrew-bogut-worth/

That at least looks like it is from a Bucks fan who is knowledgeable about his team.

Anyway, whatever the big fella gets, good luck to him, because he is the best thing to happen to Aussie basketball since Andrew Gaze (maybe even better than that! Or do I blaspheme?)

Reply #188278 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

IMO, a Chris Kaman contract would of been great and around the mark. Bogut produces similar number to Kaman, but he does have a higher ceiling. I'd be happy to add a further $1 to $1.5 million per year and make it incentive loaded. Example being Camby's contract who earnt an extra $2 million by playing so many games and statistical milestones.

Kaman's contract:

Chris Kaman
7/8: $8,600,000
8/9: $9,500,000
9/10: $10,400,000
10/11: $11,300,000
11/12: $12,200,000

My Bogut contract:
10/11: $9,600,00
11/12: $10,500,00
12/13: $11,500,00
13/14: $13,000,00
14/15: $14,500,00
Total: $59,100,00

I'd be happy to write incentives in there for All Star games, averaging 10 rpg for the season, 17 ppg over the season. Hell, give him a $500,000 bonus for the All-Star game and $500,000 if he grabs more than 10rpg and $500,000 for averaging over 17ppg. Give him a $500,000 bonus if he's a league leader in any statistical category (bar TO's). If he does that all in 14/15 then he earns his $16.5 million and he has really proven he deserves $16 million a year and will get it when he extends.

Reply #188279 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I wouldn't buy this until it is officialy announced. One, the '83 million' reported is over 6 years (according to a Sydney Morning Herald article), which the Bucks can't actually sign him to, it can only offer 5 this year, then 6 when he is a free agent next year.

Two, even it if is 83 over 5, why the hell would the Bucks do that? He's a restricted free agent next year, so they can match any offer he gets. It would be stupid to offer 16 million now. If they want to, they can offer 12 million a year and if Bogut doesn't like it, he can wait until next year and see if he is worth anything more than that. Plus, they hold all the power. Look at what happened last year guys not signing and playing for the contract this year (Okafor, Gordon) no way will they get any more than what was originally offered last year. Or what if Bogut gets injured next season, like Arenas?

I would say that this is just the media overstating something to make it look like bigger news than it is. And when did the Australian media ever become trustworthy when it came to basketball, anyway?

Reply #188309 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

The 83 million would be in Australian dollars though. How much is that after conversion? Then talk about it.

Also, does anyone find it pretty disturbing/annoying how Australian ask Bogut quite plainly about the money he makes? Doesn't happen to any other sportsmen (e.g. AFL players) for some reason. Obviously the dollar numbers change, but the principle should remain the same.

Reply #188343 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

When I last checked it is was A95c for US$1.

Reply #188348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with all that money, clearly basketball's a bigger game than AFL so let's start give the sport more support (so NBL'd survive) and get this game to another level in this country!!!

Reply #188355 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, there's a promotion of the game. Plus the olympics. If it doesn't rate with aussies, you'd add a team from the Phillippines etc.

Reply #188356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw an interview with Bogut, he has him own gym with a basketball court, pool, spa, weights, it was huge O.O

$60 million + over 4-5 years, you would think Bogut would buy an NBL team...

Reply #188357 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I wonder if it would be time to email Bogut this article from his just before his rookie season.

http://linky.com.au/enf4t

Reply #188368 | Report this post

phd in shot  
Years ago

at the end of the season bogut was starting to average 20 and 10 a game so im assuming the bucks are hopng he can do that next year again so i guess redd is on the chopping block

Reply #188397 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754