Eltham boy
Years ago

Tournament: What chance an SA or NSW team?

With the long weekend bringing on the nations premier club team tournament event, what chance do any of the visiting SA and NSW teams think they will have ?

Am really only interested in the boys side of the tournament so the girls can start their own blog.

No offence ........ get it !!!!

I'll start by saying Sturt from over there appear a big chance in the 18 boys. Nth suburbs in the 16 boys seem a monty and any one of our big 3 vic teams in the 14 boys.

Topic #16009 | Report this topic

Lance Storm  
Years ago

Sturt 14 Boys a big chance to do very well.

Reply #188519 | Report this post

Girl Power  
Years ago

Sturt girls will be strong as usual, no offence.... Get it!!!!

Reply #188533 | Report this post

KP43  
Years ago

14 Boys - Knox/Keilor

16 Boys - Northern Suburbs/Diamond Valley

18 Boys - Sandringham/Nunwading

Big chance for SA teams to figure in the 16 Boys comp.

Reply #188561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KP43 -

With your 16 boys tips, you picked two teams from the same pool, guess that makes that one the "Pool Of Death"!

My views for what it's worth:

18 boys - Sturt are in with a real shot. Sandringham will probably start favourites, but this could be the year the SA Sabres finally get over them. The Sandringham/Sturt game should be a semi (if things go to schedule), and it will be a massive game. I think Nunawading (who have improved massively) to defeat Dandy in the other semi. Nunawading/Sturt final.

16 boys - Norwood are the chance from SA here. They are in a difficult pool, with tough Melbourne Tigers in there, but I think they can beat Ballarat (good team though) and Canberra to go through. I also think South have a shot at top 8, as pool A is by far the weakest pool. The lowest ranked SA team, the lowest ranked Vic team and the lowest ranked NSW team in the same pool? Eastern and Sturt are hurt massively by being undermanned - with full lineups either team would be in the mix. Sturt additionally hurt by being in a super-tough pool with the team who should win it (Northern Suburbs) and two quality Vic teams. Overall, this is by far the most even grade, with any of about 8 teams (Dandy, Waverly, McKinnon, Melbourne, Norwood, Ballarat, Diamond Valley, Northern Suburbs) in the mix (would be 10 if Eastern and Sturt had their full groups), but I think Norths to win it.

14 boys - all of the SA teams are well behind the top Vic teams. Sturt the pick of the SA teams and could make the semi's if all goes well, should go top 8. I quite like the North Adelaide group as well and think they could go top 8. WA group a complete unknown so Southern are in a bit of a "mystery pool". Knox should take this grade by a fair way.

12 boys - I haven't seen Melbourne, but I have seen Knox. And they are very good. Again, I've heard the SA teams are a bit off the pace (no evidence either way though), Vic teams to fill out the top 4.

Having said that, best of luck to all of our SA teams over the weekend!

Reply #188573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt in U18s ... perhaps, but only if they knock over Melbourne, Waverley and Canberra. These Vic teams are sitting third (7-2) and second (8-1) in their pool and may have other thoughts. Don't forget about Dandenong who are also 8-1 for the season and first in their pool. Sandy and Nunawading will be strong but not invincible.

Reply #188626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a bit of a look at the boys side of the draw.

U-12: Melbourne Tigers appear to be the most talented side, with Blackburn not too far behind. Knox are also very strong and are very well coached. Hard to see an interstate team figuring hear. I would think a Knox - Melbourne final. Knox by 5

U-14: Two years ago Werribee were dominant, although Keilor now have their best player and appear to be the strongest team along with Knox. Bulleen are also good and Sturt may feature in the top four. I would think a Knox - Keilor final. Keilor by 8

U-16: The most open age group in recent years. Waverly appear to be the best side, however Vic 8 which is Knox could easily beat Vic 1 in Dandenong. A very even spread of talent through the Vic sides, although I see Waverley as being just above the rest.

The interstate teams are probably the strongest of the lot though. Northern Suburbs are the national champs, and Sturt, Norwood, and Eastern Mavs are very strong. I'm thinking a Waverly/Northern Suburbs - Norwood final, unfortunately the two best sides will meet in the semi though. Northern Suburbs by 9 or Waverley by 5

U-18: Sandringham look to be the best side, with Dandenong, Nunawading, Waverley and Melbourne not too far behind. Sturt would be the only other side I could see coming close to the big 5 from vic. I'm thinking a Sandringham - Nunawading final. Nunawading by 4.

Reply #188790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ACT u18 boys

Reply #188808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ACT u18 boys (:

Reply #188809 | Report this post

Leopard 29  
Years ago

Can anyone provide info on what the Norwood and Woodville teams are like in the U12 boys.

I have them both in my pool

Reply #188840 | Report this post

State first  
Years ago

Why would we help out an interstater on SA teams?

Reply #188865 | Report this post

Leopard 29  
Years ago

I'd be more than happy to provide info other teams from my state. I don't care where they finish

Reply #188893 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Woodville are second on the ladder and Norwood are fifth if you are talking about U12 Div 1 boys in a 9 team competiton

Reply #188896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#188790 Have to say Sturt in 18's and not too confident about Waverley in 16's. Too many other good sides although Waverley have a freindly draw.

Waverley are playing good ball, but Melb,Knox and a few others could surprise here. Norths vs Melb for mine, Dandenong, Knox, Ballarat, Norwood and Sturt to make up qtrs and semis.

Reply #188898 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sturt, mavs and souths in 16 boys will be in bottom 8. Key kids not involved anymore at mavs and sturt will be missed in big games. South are crap.

Reply #188971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waverly are definately the strongest Vic team from 16 boys. They are very talented, have a good bench and are very well coached. They beat Melbourne by 25 points in the Eltham Dandenong final earlier this year and have only lost 1 game all season.

The way I would rate the vic teams is:

Waverly
Dandenong
Ballarat
Diamiond Valley
Melbourne
Mckinnon
Knox
Geelong

Ballarat will depend on whether they have a full team, and Knox are mainly bottom age and are found out against some of the bigger sides like D.V and Dandy. Melbourne are good but lack the depth to match the best teams

Reply #188992 | Report this post

MelbJack  
Years ago

12 boys
Blackburn, Knox, Melbourne and Geelong are all strong, but so are Sandringham. Doncaster are good but very small - likely to make the top 8. Kilsyth are tough and should make top 8 too. Sunbury making up the numbers. VICs to field all the semi finalists, final between 2 of Blackburn, Knox and Melbourne.

14 boys
I'm with Knox, Keilor and Bulleen here. 2 of the 3 to make the final. Werribee could round out a VIC top 4. Knox over Keilor.

Reply #188996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 188992

Waverley have been playing well, but I think you are not giving Melb or coach much credit. If it came down to a coach off, there are a few decent ones out there, Knox Coach, Melb Coach ex State Coaches and Interstate teams are good.

Test for Waverley, but they have been playing good basketball this year

Reply #189019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I rate both the Melbourne and Knox sides, I just think there are better Vic teams out there. Looking at results and by watching games this year they have both been found out by better sides.

Melbourne should go through, although a full strength Ballarat may push them to second in their pool. I hear Norwood are undermanned and may not be as strong as they were in Adelaide. Either way the Death Group sides should win both games and knock Melbourne/Ballarat/Norwood out.

As for Knox, Dandy will knock them off in the group stage. If they finish second they will more than likely crossover against Waverley, and last time those sides met the margin was 20+

Reply #189048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Group 3 Sturt, McKinnon and DV all playing second fiddle to Norths ? What do you see happening thyere in that pool ?

Reply #189049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Group C is very interesting. Watched Norths last year and they were very impressive. Pretty sure they will finish top of that group. In VC D.V and Mckinnon are pretty close. Mckinnon rely heavily on one player where as D.V go deep and have an ex state coach in charge. D.V should get up over Mckinnon, the tricky part is the Sturt game. At full strength they would be favourite for second, but I hear they are undermanned from what they were in Adelaide. D.V should get 2nd, but don't rule out a 3 way tie with all three on one win.

Coached against Sturt in January and watched them in Adelaide where they were very good, but unfortunately without a full team they may struggle

Reply #189050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possible scenario for 16 Boys

Group A - 1st Dandy, 2nd Knox
Group B - 1st Waverley, 2nd Mavs/Geelong
Group C - 1st Norths, 2nd Diamond Valley
Group D - 1st Melbourne, 2nd Ballarat

Dandy def Mavs/Geelong
Waverley def Knox
Norths def Ballarat
Diamond Valley def Melbourne

Dandy def Diamond Valley
Norths def Waverley

Norths def Waverley

However, if Melbourne beat D.V, they will also beat Dandy. Match ups just work better that way. That will mean Norths def Melbourne in final

Reply #189052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meant to say Norths def Dandy in final

Reply #189053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Dandy that much better than the others ?

Knox, Mavs, Geel and DV ?

Reply #189063 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

dont underestimate sturt they always step up when they need to and i reckon they are a dark horse, they work very well together and know how to win.They have a very hard pool though but they will certainly fight.

Also norwood will do very will, they do have their full side and i believe will get past melbourne and ballarat to come top of there pool, having seen melbourne i think norwood should beat them but dont know enough about ballarat so im just guessing that norwood will beat them. If they play well they will come top 4 cos they have a very talented side.

Mavs will struggle without there best 2 players and will come bottom 8.

South has the easiest pool which may help them but i dont see them winning a game apart from against canberra. There only going cos west didnt want to go.

Reply #189067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt did a good job to get back against an undermanned D.Valley ( Football carnival ) Big kid was tough and Norths not as potent as everyone thought. Norwood were getting smashed by a Melb team that looked like a MASH unit with all the injuries so Sturt half a chance against Melb

All in all, Classic is a tough weekend of ball but good to see the SA teams come and bring good players and coaches.

Well done to all

Reply #189121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Pool A and B went to plan with the best teams going through. The death pool C was weakened when Mckinnons best player was injured, which resulted in them not being competitve with the other three. Ballarat were also undermanned, their best player who played Vic Country bottom aged is not playing in the tournament. That seemed to make the difference in the Norwood game

Reply #189135 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Diamond valley had 2 better kids that played in the morning but then not in the arvo or evening as they had footy. Sturt and Nth Subs got the benefit of that. Good to see vic teams let their kids play other sport on the same weekend.

Reply #189136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great tournament. Well done to Vic Basketball. The standard of the 12-14 Junior classic was very high, particularly on boys side.

Melbourne under 12 boys team were very skilled and showed this when they won their semi by 38 points.

Know were unlucky to loose the finaly but Melbourne just had too many answers and their offence and outside shooting was very good for young kids.

Sturt did well to knock of Sunbury in the playoffs and had they taken that game in the minor rounds they would have been in for a position in the top 8.

Girls side was just as good with some promising talent but the Vics look like they have far too much depth to be threatened by interstate teams.

Basketball looks in good shape with these young kids coming through.

Reply #189225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't the Melbourne Team have an ex SA kid in it?

Reply #189226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754