dcan
Years ago

Stern's dream comes true: Lakers v Celtics

don't you find it "strange" how the 2 biggest NBA franchises are in the NBA Finals one again ..just like Stern wanted and licking his lips over.?
This after the referee scandal, and after last year's lowest TV rated championship between Spurs - Cavs.
How do you explain give away trades like Gasol and Garnett from lowly unpopular teams to 2 most popular teams ?? hmmm

How do the refs not call foul in Game 4 of Lakers - Spurs and how to explain the big leads Spurs and
Pistons had that just disappeared ??? hmmm .... interesting ...LA v Boston ... the "Dream match for $$$$ and ratings ..in a multimillion $$$ industry ... maybe one ref isn't the only one that's shady ...hmmmm

Topic #16013 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

So you obviously didn't see many of the games, if the Spurs had someone to stop Kobe maybe they could have won. In the fourth quarter of many games he was unstoppable.

Detroit are too defensive orientated, if you cant score you cant win.

Best 2 teams are in the finals excusing any money influence.

Reply #188527 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

All I can say is...GO CELTICS!!!

When all is said and done, the 2 most exciting teams to watch are in the big dance. It should be a great final series!

GO CELTICS!

Reply #188538 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

At the time i really thought it was a foul on Barry and he should of at least got the chance to shoot two.

Do me a favour though and try to picture how it would of gone down if it was Kobe who caught that inbounds pass...
He would of done one of two things.
1/ ham up the contact a bit more, perhaps falter back and lose the dribble so the refs are forced to make the call or..
2/ Get tough and plow through fisher to get the open look. (most likely)

Barry is at fault here, he made a good fake then half played it out. He needed to commit to either the foul or smashing through. He let the ref choose a no-call, blame on him.

As for the whole refs being the fingers of stern thing- Kobe shot like 2 free throws against the spurs...

Watched the piston get eliminated and have to say, Rasheed is the most frustrating player to watch. He is fantastic on a low block. Post moves to die for. Then he blows a two ft uncontested shot...
It must just be a fitness thing where he cant play down there all game, saves it for crunch time. His def of KG on the block, denying him the entry pass time and again- awesome.

I've not seen a lot of KG, but from what i saw, he is a jump shooter and fall away shooter. Great passer from the high post or in transition. Can get his shot anytime he wants, the problem is the shot isn't high percentage. Maybe 50/50 which is not acceptable for stars at crunch time. In the finals when Kobe is scoring bucket after bucket (or getting to the line)down the stretch, the celts will live or die by KG's jumpers and with Gasol's reach, i don't like the percentages for Boston...
(also- Kobe gets fouled on drives etc, KG won't get to the line with a spin/fall-away jumper.)

Reply #188544 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Go Celtics!

Reply #188547 | Report this post

Pedro  
Years ago

Lakers in 7 No-one can stop Kobe

Reply #188554 | Report this post

dcan  
Years ago

If your point is that it wasn't rigged,My argument is that its possible this could be rigged. I don't see how you can't even say its possible. Stern obviously had something to gain by a Lakers-Celtics finals. The marketing potential is clear. To deny that is just being naive

how about the NBA wanting to make Wade a star in 06 when he could draw a foul if the opposing team looked at him the wrong way (ask the Mavs)!! or the overhyped LeBronz who happen to travel every second time he goes to the hoop. ask leBronz and Wade what happens to them (World Championship bronze anyone?)when refs and the league aren't protecing them!!

Reply #188555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pedro, if no one can stop Kobe, wouldn't they win in 4?

Reply #188567 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Twelve months ago (pre-Garnett and Gasol trades), what odds would have you got on a Celtics-Lakers finals?

(Have I inadvertently come up with the idea for a new website, whatodds.com, where you can plug in a date and see what the odds for a present day outcome were way back when?)

So, please welcome your 2008-09 NBA finalists: Sacramento and Miami! ;)

Reply #188576 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

"How do you explain give away trades like Gasol and Garnett from lowly unpopular teams to 2 most popular teams ?? hmmm"

dude- how do you explain it? And don'y just say Stern did it, explain some method for him to control the decisions investers and owners made regarding the structure of their product, their team.

What possible influence could stern have on them?

Try to be a little specific if you can, just saying "coz he's the boss" aint gonna cut it. It will just make you into a conspiracey nut, and the truth aint out there.

"How do the refs not call foul in Game 4 of Lakers - Spurs and how to explain the big leads Spurs and
Pistons had that just disappeared ??? "

Both teams started to play shit. End of story. It happens you know.

"how about the NBA wanting to make Wade a star in 06 when he could draw a foul if the opposing team looked at him the wrong way (ask the Mavs)!!"

Now this is a case of stern wanting less D and more O. He made rule changes and tried to enforce them on a big stage. It back fired when we all saw what the rules produced, lots of free throws. It was a whole league thing, not Stern the boogey man targeting specific teams/players.

Reply #188588 | Report this post

dcan  
Years ago

ah so "rules" and "regulations" can "influence" the game !!! .. Sure there are "favours" money can buy. why can't the Bobcats or Gizzlies suddnely have big turnarounds like Boston had ?? hmmmm. if the league gest $$$$$ everyone in the NBA wins

Reply #188593 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

who's to say this lakers v celtics isn't what we will be seeing in the next 3-4 years. The Boston big 3 won 66 games in their first season together and they can only get better as they get used to one another. And LAkers are getting better and are still young with their superstar in his prime !! plus the Piston core is pretty much done, Spurs are old, Dallas, Phoenix have dropped ... Utah can never beat LA. Really unless Cavs or Hornets can take the next steps and Houston can somehow solve the Yao- T-Mac dilemma then better get used to Sterns big dream coming a reality over and over like Groundhog Day !!! this is not just a one year deal for the NBA ..it is set for next few years !! .... not agreeing theirs anything untoward happening but the NBA couldn't have scripted it better if they tried

Reply #188604 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

This Laker team has Dynasty written all over it. They will need to find a replacement for Fisher in a few years which will be surprisingly difficult. But the core of Kobe, Gasol and Odom will be nasty for some time.
Boston have this year, maybe next. They will definately need an injection of youth at the 2 guard with Ray declining before our eyes. Pierce and KG will play at this level for another 3 years but they need a third player, otherwise its too much for those two alone.

Reply #188609 | Report this post

KP43  
Years ago

While we are on conspiracy theories...

Totally agree with Speedy. Lakers v. Celtics for next couple at least.

I feel like I'm 10 yrs old again...Cast your mind back to the mid 1980s...

83/84 Boston beat LA
Chicago drafted Jordan
84/85 LA beat Boston
Jordan won ROY
85/86 Boston beat Houston

Now back to the future...

07/08 Boston beat LA
Chicago draft ???
08/09 LA beat Boston
??? wins ROY
09/10 Boston beat Houston

Now before you all get excited I know Chicago picked MJ at 3 and I'm not for one minute saying Beasley and certainly not Rose will be as good as Jordan...but its an uncanny coincidence that LA and Boston line up in the NBA finals the same year as Chicago has the no. 1 pick.

Reply #188610 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Oh. My. God.

Reply #188621 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

You know i took a pee once in 1985.

Jazz drafted Karl Malone that same year...

I took a pee this year too, jazz have a pick in the draft...freaky....

Reply #188631 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

the question is did you wash and wipe your hands afterwards ;)

Reply #188639 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

The real question is does the Jazz's pick this year have an illegitimate son?

Reply #188641 | Report this post

Kurtsmells  
Years ago

Lakers vs Celtics??

Nah guys Sterns wet dream finals was back in 05

When the two most interesting to watch teams

The Spurs and Pistons ground it out in 7 games

after 7 games combined the 2 teams score 23 points and Timmy D got another ring and FMVP and to kiss sterns ass again

Reply #188672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754