cLaRkY
Years ago

Pistons Fire Flip

ESPN.com reports that Joe Dumars has fired Flip Saunders from the head coaching position at the Detroit Pistons, as well as putting his entire roster of players on the trading block.

In the morning, the Detroit Pistons fired Flip Saunders. By the afternoon, the players were put on notice.

"I'm not going to sit here and make Flip the scapegoat," president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said Tuesday. "Everybody is in play."

The most likely Piston to be traded is Rasheed Wallace
Wallace seems to be the player most likely to be dealt because of his one-year contract, inconsistent play and powerful personality that lifts his teammates or drags them down depending on his mood.

"I view him the same way that I do all the other guys," Dumars insisted. "Make no mistake, everybody is in play right now."

Here is a link to the article on ESPN.com
Link

And another article about Flip Saunders
Chris Sheridan Article

What do people think about this move by the Pistons management?

Topic #16030 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

They need to bust up this team while they can still get good value for them, otherwise they will be a team that slowly gets left behind.

Maybe hold onto Chauncey and Rip and deal Sheed, Prince and McDyess.

With Boston and the Cavs pushing them already they need to make some moves to stay competitive.

Reply #188722 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I hope they hold onto Prince, he has been a valuable player for them over the years (except these playoffs) and he is still only 28 so he would have a few good years left in him

Reply #188728 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

The Pistons must keep Tayshaun Prince. He's a top consistent under-rated player. I like the Prince.

Keep RIP, Billups & Prince.

Trade Sheed & McDyess

Reply #188730 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I recall in an interview late last year that Rip would only consider playing wherever Billups ends up. Whilst I doubt you could really do a package deal; it would be interesting to see if the 2 guards follow each other around if they don't shack up with Detroit again.

I'm happy if they go play for the bucks and make them a contender... finally

Reply #188731 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I think it would be a shame to dismantle the side now. They have been so competitive for so long, i feel like they are just a good post player away. Not a superstar, just a another quality guy to push them into the championship bracket. A player that does what Perkins does for Boston, or perhaps they could sign Jermaine o'neal or Elton Brand, either of those two would make them real contenders....

It's all about the salaries though, my hope (wishful thinking more like) is that after toiling for good money on losing sides, O'neal and Brand would be excited about joining a team that doesn't require them to be "the man" 82 games a year...and take a pay reduction to make it happen.

I saw a pig fly once too...

Reply #188732 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Bucks should be all over this, especially with Hammond switching clubs.

The Bucks want to off load a truck load. I recent read an article saying that the only top that are off the books in Milwaukee are Bogut and Yi

How bout:

Redd/CV

for

Rip/Dice/Maxiell

Bucks give up some scoring, but get a bit back in Rip, but they also muscle up the front court with Dice and Maxiell. Dice also brings some veteran leadership.

Only stumbling block I can see is that both teams are in the same division. If teams trade players they like to place them in a different division if not conference.

Reply #188734 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think Rip and Billups would be almost at the top of the list to be traded, behind McDyess and Wallace. The Pistons want to build around Stuckey, Maxiel and Tayshaun and will look to get a quality 2 man and quality big to do so. If they can they will be a contender fairly soon, maybe not right away but in the next 2-3 years.

Great move by Dumars. Again he is showing how good a GM he is

Reply #188735 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm not to sure about how much the Pistons want Maxiell around. He fell out of the rotation during the playoffs, and last seasons the Pistons paid Amir Johnson some coin to hang around. I think they would give up Max in the right deal.

I'm in two minds about the Pistons at the moment.

I can see Sheed and Dice gone. I don't see Billups being moved. I don't think Stuckey is ready to be a starter and Billups is still one of the better PG getting around. I can see a team doing a swap of SG with the Pistons (Redd for Rip type of deal).

As Quigmire mentioned earlier, I can also see the Pistons not making any major splashed and doing some minor tweaking and reducing the mins of Sheed and Dice to play Amir and Max more.

Reply #188740 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

makes for an interesting off season indeed... if Sheed is traded it would be more interesting to see how Pistons recover though, as he has been the player who has brought that bad boy era back to detroit, along with some titles (not to take anything away from the rest of the team)... tayshuan they need to keep though, he is a solid foundation for them to rebuild on

Reply #188749 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I don't think there would be many GM's seriously looking at Dice. He is a one season at a time proposition and unless your team is a legit chance to win it all, he will be a negative sook at the club.

Reply #188781 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I now see Dice as the experienced, playoff proven veteran which 1st and 2nd round playoff teams jump all over. I think he's got quite a bit of value and IMO he understands he's a rotation guy now and seems content by being on a good squad and winning than getting his 25-28 mins a game.

Dice is more the guy you trade at the deadline rather than during the off-season.

Reply #188785 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I don't see them trading Rip or Billups. They always made signing Billups a priority and I think he has played up to his contract.

Rip also stands up in the playoffs. He's not flashy, but is also pretty consistant for them. Check out Rips stats from the Conference Finals this year:

22.0 ppg at 53%, 90% FT, 1.2 BPG, 4.3 APG.

Not too shabby for a player on 10 mil a year. Why trade him for another SG who may not produce to this level, and probably has a worse contract? I would only trade Rip if I was getting a superstar in return with a reasonable contract. But I can't think of any player on the trading block who meets that criteria.

So I would trade Sheed and Prince. There would surely be plenty of takers for prince, he has a reasonable contract, but I don't see many teams rolling the dice on Sheed. He may kill all team chemistry.

Reply #188831 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Agree with olskoolgamer about Rip and Billups.
They are proven winners. I still beleive they should look at adding to the team as opposed to dismantling it. I totally respect Joe D so i'm sure he has a plan in place, but i don't see them getting value for Prince or Sheed from other teams. They are two beers shy of a carton. They need a coach and a post player to take the pressure off Sheed. Lets not forget that this team has accomplished a lot and i think it would be a mistake to say that they have under achieved.
Got to admit i think it will be Prince that goes. My theory that the team with the weakest link loses in the playoffs means because Prince has never developed a trustworthy jumper, he is the one to go.
Sad too coz he is such a part of the teams identity.

Reply #188845 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

I'll throw my two cents in here.

Now way the Pistons will be trading Prince, Maxiell, Hamilton, or Stuckey.

Dont be surprised to see Chauncey traded to make way for some cap space, and wallace to go for that very same reason.

No 08 draft picks however, but look for some 1st round picks in next years draft.

Pistons very keen on keeping some structure, but also putting the franchise in the hands of 2 very promising youngsters, in Stuckey and Maxiell.

With Billups and Wallace gone, look for a standout sophomore season from Stuckey, and a big time jump to mean PF that averages a Double Double a game, around 16ppg, and 11rpg.

Good for the future of that club... Trade away--- before you fall!

Reply #188899 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

sorry, but they wont be trading billups, it just wont happen, he will finish his days balling as a piston.

Reply #188927 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754