Isaac
Years ago

Boomers squad selected for Iran series

Peter Crawford (Perth Wildcats), Adam Gibson (Brisbane Bullets), Jacob Holmes (South Dragons), Matthew Knight (West Sydney Razorbacks), Alex Loughton (Perth Wildcats) and Luke Schenscher (Brose Basket, Germany) were the athletes shaved from the squad.

Europe-based stars Matt Nielsen, Brad Newley and Damien Ryan were unable to attend the AIS training camp but will join the Boomers in Perth.
Here's the squad that was selected:
Chris ANSTEY / Centre / 213cm / Melbourne Tigers
David BARLOW / Guard / 205cm / Melbourne Tigers
CJ BRUTON / Guard / 188cm / Brisbane Bullets
James HARVEY / Guard / 196cm / Gold Coast Blaze
Wade HELLIWELL / Centre / 213cm / Nuova Sebastiani (Italy)
Russell HINDER /Forward / 208cm / Sydney Kings
Joe INGLES / Guard / 203cm / South Dragons
Luke KENDALL / Guard / 193cm / Sydney Kings
Darnell MEE / Guard / 198cm / Cairns Taipans
Patrick MILLS / Guard / 181cm / St. Mary's College Gaels (USA)
Brad NEWLEY / Guard / 198cm / Panionios (Greece)
Matthew NIELSEN / Forward / 209cm / Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
Andrew OGILVY / Centre / 210cm / Vanderbilt University Commodores (USA)
Shawn REDHAGE / Forward / 203cm / Perth Wildcats
Damien RYAN / Guard / 193cm / Gruppo Triboldi (Italy)
Glen SAVILLE / Guard / 197cm / Sydney Kings
Mark WORTHINGTON / Forward / 202cm / Sydney Kings

Topic #16039 | Report this topic

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

russell hinder over schenscher... please!

Reply #188866 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Good to see Harvey in there, when everyone here though boy goorj would not pick him..Him and Ryan look like the only shooters there though..

Isaac, do you know if/when the squad is cut down again?

Reply #188867 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I think everyone feels sorry for Hinder after the article in the paper, I know I had tears I was ready to get another mortgage on my house to help him out.

Reply #188870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DB5:

Twenty athletes now remain in the squad for 12 Olympic berths, with the final team to be named by July 2nd.

Surprised to see Kendall in there over Gibson. At least Mee might sneak in due to experience.

I think a lot of fans don't rate Hinder judging him on stats, but apparently he's a real glue-guy and team player who's much appreciated by Goorjian.

Reply #188871 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

As if the Schenscher is cut! We could do with his height.

Reply #188873 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

hinder is a centre with no post game, cant create his own shot and he shoots 3 pointers... also he doesnt get many boards lol
lets but an nbl role player in the team over an nba player! good thinking goorjian!

Reply #188875 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

as if luke kendall is on the squad still. he is garbage, and hinder over Schenscher is a joke. saville is past his prime as well, same as jason smith was years ago. ive got nothing against sydeny kings players but i dont consider anyone on the sydeny roster of last season to be in the elite of australian basketball. except for worthington.

Reply #188876 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Why are we surprised ... this is the man that started Jason Smith ahead of Brett Maher FFS

Reply #188877 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Hinder being in the Australian team is a joke!

Reply #188880 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cheers Isaac..

Glue guy or not, Hinder over a 7 foot CENTRE is a joke.

Reply #188881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many guys do we take to the Olympics? 12? 15?

Hinder will be an easy cut at the next selection stage.

Reply #188885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many of you guys have seen schenscher play recently? all your going by is that he played some NBA before. since then he's been injured and cut by his team in europe and nothing else.

Reply #188887 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

What do you mean bias? There are only 4 Sydney Kings on the team (I am sure Smith would have made it if he wasn't injured).

Add to that former Kings, Nielsen, Bruton and Barlow. I am surprised as I thought BJ Carter was just primed for a run.

Obviously the NBL champion Tigers (2 - one of whom is Barlow) and semi finalists Perth (1) and (stacked) Brisbane (1 - Bruton) are massively overrepresented. We could squeeze one or two more Kings into this line-up easily!

Honestly, and to lay off the sarcasm for a second, I think Goorj's coaching is so one-dimensional that the only players that can play in his patented systems are the ones that have years of experience under him. I just think that, without months and months of lead time, he can get the best (or possibly anything) out of guys who don't know his system inside out (aka Maher, Cattalini etc). Even then, Goorj on past experience cannot pull a team together for international ball as he does domestically.

I am fearing another dismal performance for this team at Beijing, notwithstanding the apparent depth in the squad. I am not looking forward to it, but can't really see it going any other way at this stage.

Reply #188888 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sorry - '*can't* get the best'

Reply #188889 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Mmm... Hinder, Kendall and Helliwell.

Can anyone realistically making it to the final twelve when all the international players become available - what a joke!

Reply #188891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

smith isn't a king. there are only three kings on there - hinder, kendall, saville. probably none of them will make the final team for beijing anyway. big deal.

Reply #188892 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with most of you about Kendall and Hinder. Can't see that they are worth keeping around other than training fodder!

Surprised Darnell Mee is still in the mix. Great player, but he just seemed plagued by injuries this year and is not the future.

I'd prefer Mills starts against Iran and is given every chance to win the starting role for the Olympics. If he proves he is not ready then fall back to CJ.

Is Matty Nielsen really 209cm? I thought he was a bit shorter than that.

Has David Andersen made himself unavailable for the Iran series? Or is he trialling in the US for an NBA spot still? I would hope he makes the final Olympics team with his success in Europe.

When we get to the Olympics are people in favour of playing Bogut and Anstey together at C/PF ? I think it would be a decent combo, running our offence thru Bogut in the post and using Anstey as a spot up shooter or for weak side put backs.

Surround those two with Newley, Wortho and Ingles at the wing spots and we will have plenty of height and will spread the floor fairly well. (Nielsen too if he can hit the 3 - does he shoot this well enough?)

I'd use Nielsen, Andersen and Jawai as my bench bigs, and take Saville and Redhage for some experienced insurance at the wings. Could perhaps dump Sav if Ogilvy is really showing that he is a future core Boomer.

Kendall is crap, and Ryan and Harvey should miss out because they are no longer the future.

If we can get all our players to the Olympics and Goorj sets up a decent offence, I reckon we can have a pretty good tournament.

Reply #188894 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Certainties IMO:

Bogut
Andersen
Anstey
Nielson
Newley
CJ Bruton
Mills
Wortho
Barlow

Fighting for last spots:

Redhage
Harvey
Ryan
Jawai
Ogilvy
Ingles

Reply #188895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hinder sucks dick. Whining soft bitch. Kendall is garbarge. Barlow is a chump. Goorjan is a great coach but always selects his boys over better players available. Aussie got way more talent then they put on the floor

Reply #188904 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

"hinder is a centre with no post game, cant create his own shot and he shoots 3 pointers... also he doesnt get many boards "

I think you will find that Schenscher is also a centre without much of a post game and not being able to create his own shot. Hopefully he is a better rebounder than Hinder.

Reply #188905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not 100% sure but i heard Barlow is not certain in the olympic squad yet..very likely but not confirmed, that's what i've heard not 100% certain though

Reply #188910 | Report this post

drb  
Years ago

barlow is definately no certainty, they are:
anstey
bogut
anderson
nielson
CJ Bruton

the rest are fighting for the spots

Reply #188914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would unequivocally add Mills and Newley to your certainties list there DRB.
Also looking at the squad list I think we could really use a healthy Sam Mack, i reckon he's a massive loss. I don't feel any of redhage, wortho or saville really come close to him when he's fully fit. The loss of Smith (who we know would've made the final squad) is not such a biggy, forces a bit more or a youth movement but mackinnon i reckon is the real tough 1 to cover. Im not convinced of our 3 spot at all.

Reply #188922 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Goorj has cut the Boomers squad down to 20...

http://linky.com.au/w75p8

Articles quotes:

"Goorjian decided to release Schenscher, Peter Crawford (Perth), Adam Gibson (Brisbane), Jacob Holmes (Dragons), Matthew Knight (Razorbacks) and Alex Loughton (Perth)."

IMO, no real surprises there.

Reply #188929 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

I Like Kendall, steped up last season, showed he was a good combo guard that led a team well. That said dont think he will make the final team but he's much better than gibson.

Yeah its a bit of a joke Hinder is in there.

Smith's defense at the 2-spot will be the real loss from his injury. His offense on the international scene always dissapointed. But no one can defend at the 2 like him. Hope Newly learnt to defend in Greece because if we come up against the US with Kobe at the 2-spot he may just throw down a record or 2 on us.

Anstey is going to get smashed by international bigs. The guy looks great in the nbl coz he has no competition. Internationally he will be chewed up. Watch.

Reply #188933 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I'd like to see a 12 man team of

PG : Mills/Bruton
SG : Newley/Ingles
SF : Neilsen/Worthington
PF : Andersen/Jawai
C : Bogut/Anstey

with 2 of Mee, Ryan, Redhage or Oglivy taking spots 11 and 12.

Reply #189022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i mean anstey ain't that bad, detroit is close to offering him a spot in the nba this year (not sure how that's going but)...also don't think ingles will make the olympic squad, chances are slim

Reply #189060 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'll be interested to see if Anstey can have an impact at the Olympics. I think he can, but we have to use him the right way - as a perimeter shooter who can stretch the defence to give Bogut some room to operate.

#189060 I'm just wondering why you think Ingles won't make it? IMO Goorjian should be doing everything he can to get Ingles as much intl experience as possible.

I'd actually like to see a 3 man rotation at the wing, with Worthington and Newley starting and Ingles spotting both of them.

I think those 3 guys, along with Bogut and Mills, need to get enough experience together, because they will give us our best chance at a medal sometime in the next 6 years or so.

Reply #189072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's not my opinion that i don't think, it's what i've heard his chances are slim because the amount of competition there is to make the squad; i know joe and definitely wants the best for hiim

Reply #189093 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

i mean anstey ain't that bad, detroit is close to offering him a spot in the nba this year (not sure how that's going but)
That was a beat-up I think. Was only ever on a (quite long) short list.

Apparently Ingles did very well at the Boomers camps recently, so could be a chance.

Reply #189098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cj isn't a Bullet anymore- neither is Gibbo.
Plus CJ is injured anyway- surprised Gibbo didn't make the cut.

Reply #189154 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I seriously dont rate jason smith!
Bad squad, wont matter tho its Iran, just wish we had a bit more firepower for the olympics

Reply #189172 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

How much more firepower do we need?

We have 7 current/former Sydney Kings out there, should be enough. ; )

Reply #189184 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think basketball has had enough Firepower for the forseeable future!

Reply #189187 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754