oy oy
Years ago

Best timing for NBL season

When do the seasons for other sports run? When does AFL and A-league etc start and stop? Just thinking that it would be smart to chart the timing of all sports to pick the best dates to have the NBL. Could shorten it if possible

Otherwise last time the season started while AFL finals were still going and there was no launch buzz at all

Topic #16047 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well, I wondered about this when Mike Wrublewski proposed June to December. So , at the moment we start mid September, just after the olympics and in the middle of AFL finals. In June we've got our best players home ?

Reply #188943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to run the season so the finals series is in August. That way we benefit at the end of the season with cold weather outside and basketball the better night out option.

Reply #188965 | Report this post

ddfadf  
Years ago

there is no good timing unless u shorten the season, because format now runs into nrl, afl launch of season and has to compete with the cricket and a league, i like the idea of starting in june you can create a buzz but you wont have good crowds as such until october with december having all the spotlight just for the nbl, this also could insure a free to air deal. I say start the season in July so we get some spotlight when we start then first 10 games go till end of september so its extended then have 20 games from oct 1 go Dec 10 or so finish round new year or finish at dec 10 cause nbl needs a free to air deal. There is no good solution though as we will never get good popularity but i am interested after the lot of media attention the last finals series recieved

Reply #188999 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Deckchairs.....Titanic.

WHEN the season runs is irrelevant.....How well it's run is what counts.

Good, well marketed product = Bums on seats.

Reply #189035 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm sure there's an element of that, but it'd be easier to get press for the launch of the league if it weren't running at the same time as the AFL wrapping up IMO!

Ever see the photos of that launch run in Sydney out in the open air, with virtually no one there? That was really sad. And then you have everyone coming up to you months later saying "has the NBL season started yet?" in December, and "Does Mark Davis still play?"

Reply #189039 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I think DICKO is mostly right. When the NBL was pumping, it was smack dab in the middle of the AFL season.

It had a profile, large enough for even Channel Ten to consider primetime coverage (the less said about that the better). Huge crowds in most places, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney and Brisbane were good too.

There must be a tangible reason why it has all gone so wrong from those glory years, when the other big sports were looking over there shoulder.

Reply #189064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with DICKO. But for me, I like the June~December just because that way, there's some basketball I can watch/follow after NBA finishes; but then others might be sick of the game after NBA finishes or vice versa

Reply #189066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Speed, but times have changed. Back then, there were Jordan commercials on TV and everyone was trading basketball cards, watching NBA Action and so on. Those days have gone and the league needs to be a lot more particular about its timing and strategies. Every small advantage in the congested markets (East coast) will be crucial.

Reply #189101 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Heavy Advertising Campaign or league relaunch.

How do you think the AFL became the biggest sport in the country; it wasn't anything special in the early 90's until they pushed out the "I'd like to see that" ad campaign.

Netball, Soccer, Rugby League, Union etc. etc. etc. each one of the sports had a big ad campaign and usually a big season launch/relaunch and every one of these leagues has taken off and is making money.

I used to watch Sixers games until they moved to Foxtel, then I completely forgot about the NBL until a mate brought round a Sixers club tape. Since then I bought foxtel to watch the NBL and have been a Gold Member for the club for the past 4 years... and that was from watching a tape.

You just need a decent ad campaign and you'll probably find that fans from years back will come out of the woodwork and go see the games again.

When the season starts means nothing; letting people know the league actually exists and is entertaining is the most important.

Reply #189388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754