cLaRkY
Years ago

Suns appoint new Head Coach

The Phoenix Suns have signed former Trailblazer/Spur Terry Porter to be the head coach for next season.

Porter coached the Milwaukee Bucks for two seasons and was an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons this season.

The 45-year-old Porter played in the NBA for 17 seasons, mostly with Portland, and was a teammate of Kerr's in San Antonio.

ESPN reports that he will sign a $7 million deal to coach the Suns for the next 3 years.

Porter was Flip Saunders' lead assistant in Detroit the past two seasons. He went 71-93 (.433) from 2003-05 as coach of Milwaukee and the Bucks made the playoffs in his first year.

Is this a good signing for the Suns?
Will this signing continue with the up-tempo offense of the team, or will we see more of a half-court offense?

Topic #16068 | Report this topic

cLaRkY  
Years ago

oops forgot to add a link...
Article

Reply #189142 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Very interesting choice by the Suns, somewhat of a dissapointment but we'll have to wait and see what he can do with the talent he has there.
Wonder what their plans are with Porter, will he have one or two years to chase a title or will he get the grace of chasing a title and than entering the eventual re-building/stocking phase.

Reply #189143 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Will the Suns be a serious contender next season??

I personally dont think so

Reply #189147 | Report this post

Nash2Stoudemire  
Years ago

I personally think it will work well.

Porter is more defensive minded than D'Antoni (although who isn't lol) and will add that to the team. I'm sure he wont try and slow them down, but will just give them a bit of grit on the defensive end.

The Suns are capable of playing much better defence with a bit of work. Shaq and Bell are great defenders, but it takes a total team effort. Guys like Barbosa and Amare have poor fundamentals and a poor work ethic. They lack accountability and commitment to defense. I believe Porter and the assistants he brings with him will work hard to improve it and make defense a focal point in training camp and next year.

Porter has had experience as a head coach with Milwaukee and although their win loss wasn't great, he did well with what he had.

Glad they didn't go for Flip Saunders... He's more or less the same as Mike D.

Expect the suns to score about 5 points less per game next year, but hold their opponents to about 10 less.

Reply #189164 | Report this post

Oldschool  
Years ago

Nash2Stoudemire
Admit it the suns are finished...Never going back to Championships
Should i even mention Bruce Bowen as a defensive player
You all know what he did to the suns
lmao

Reply #189168 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Porter is an intelligent bloke and coach, but I don't see him being a good fit with the Suns. He'll make them play more defence, but they won't be a success.

Reply #189169 | Report this post

who the hell is Terry porter. lol.

Steve kerr = the new Isiah

Reply #189193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754