nutter
Years ago

Leon Powe - interesting read

An interesting article was posted on Leon Powe at NBA.com

It seems this guy has been to hell and back.

http://www.nba.com/finals2008/news/powe_20080608.html

Topic #16082 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Tough life...
Lucky he was born 6'8 and built like a brick shithouse.
For all the other homeless with "normal" bodies....sucks to be you.

Reply #189278 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

There was a story about Powe during the ESPN broadcast of game 2 at halftime, fwiw.

Reply #189279 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Inspirational read .

Reply #189286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quagmire, being tall and strong doesn't but you a tickets to the NBA.

"For all the other homeless with "normal" bodies....sucks to be you." - Thanks for that piece of inspirational attitude.

Reply #189291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic story. Very admirable. Once everyone witness his 21 points in 14 minute game and read that story he'll become extremely popular.

Reply #189293 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Not my job to inspire. I don't like to blur the lines between a passtime sport and real life.
Your inspired by this guy, fair enough, i'll save my inspiration for the guy that comes from nothing and builds a better future for others, not coz a dude scored some points in a game.

Reply #189300 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Aww, Quagmire, I feel so special. :P

Reply #189301 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Much love Isaac.

Reply #189304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But its about achieving something and reaching your dreams despite the adversity he was put through. It doesn't mater WHAT the dream is if you can soldier on through all that shit and still realize your dream, that's pretty special.

Reply #189309 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I can see Spike Lee making a movie about Powe, especially if the Celtics win the ship..

Reply #189318 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

hmmm... i suppose.
Maybe not special though.
Nice. thats how i'd describe it.
He was in a bad situation, he did the right thing, lucky for him he had an avenue out in basketball, a sport he was naturally built for, now he is making millions.
A lot of people have horrible starts in life, but turn it around with hard work and strength within character, without the opportunities that being a 6'8 beast presents. They inspire me. (shout out to Isaac)
Leon Powe, a nice story, just not a special one.

Reply #189319 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

Along with Jason Maxiell as players that would go nuts if started at another team

Reply #189322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A lot of people have horrible starts in life, but turn it around with hard work and strength within character, without the opportunities that being a 6'8 beast presents."

Sure hes a beast, but don't think there might have been just a little bit of hard work and character for this guy to battle through all that and still make the NBA. Making the NBA would require huge amounts of hard work for anyone let alone someone is his position.

Do you think there are ANY special stories in basketball players?

Reply #189324 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"Lucky he was born 6'8" - thats one big baby. Poor mum!

Reply #189325 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Bruce Mcaveney thinks a lot of sports people are special

Reply #189328 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Another article on Leon Powe done by Rod Benson, really good read.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Too-much-Rod-Benson-Leon-Powe-gets-buckets;_ylt=AtuH5osb3sKFxPS2l5xfr8y8vLYF?urn=nba,86906

Reply #189350 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

To quote Tommy Heinsohn: "I love Leon!"

Great player to watch, one of my favourite Celtics. I was just waiting for him to take his opportunity against the Stay Puft marshmallow-men.

Watching him post up Walton and go coast to coast in game 2 had my mate and I in stitches!

I haven't been able to find it online, but he has an absolutely killer spin move he has used a few times this year - he's like a freight train hurricane with that move!

Reply #189354 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

You love a player until they move to another team; then they polish the big one.

Yeah, that coast to coast dunk where he just "walked" through 4 defenders was hi-larious.

Reply #189391 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Mutombo and the work he does comes to mind.
Depends on the what you beleive is deserving of the term "special".

Leon Powe deserves his success because he had plenty of things that could of lured him away from that goal.
But he stayed strong and made the right decisions.

Nice one Leon.

Mutombo bought a hospital.

Not "donated towards the wing of a hospital", donated an entire hospital.

Special.

Inspirational.

Reply #189595 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

agreed. What Mutumbo is doing is just great !!
here you have a millionaire trying to make a difference and give back and not just one big PR stunt like those NBA Cares adds. Do you really believe the NBA cares ??? It's too bad not many of the multimillion celebrity "gods" (actors, sportsmen etc) do the same !!!

anyway yeah ..its inspiratonal when someone makes something of themselves like Powe but his not the only one in that circumstance and yeah lucky to be "6.8" i do agree. what if he were '5.7' what options would he have? ..... just that the NBA is making the story bigger then it is ...

Reply #189821 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Old School- are you really Isiah Thomas? Just wondering if your going to offer guys like Powe and Maxiell money and starts....

only to watch them fail miserably because they are not getting the set up and privileges of playing next to champions...

4 eg;
Q-Rich
J. Jeff
J. James
M. Rose

Reply #189842 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754