Isaac
Years ago

NBL Prospects Camp, July 21-23

NBL SEARCHES FOR NEXT BIG THING

The next generation of Australian basketball stars is set to be unearthed following the announcement of the inaugural National Basketball League (NBL) Prospects Camp.

The camp, which is being officially endorsed by both the NBL and Basketball Australia, will be run over three days in Melbourne from 21  23 July at the Waverley Basketball Stadium and is aimed at identifying Australian basketballers who might one day play in the NBL.

Coaches and scouts from all NBL teams will be in attendance to run their eyes over the NBL's 'Generation Next' as they are put through their paces by junior World Championship winning coach Ian Stacker.

The top 60 basketballers in Australia aged between 18 and 24 years as identified by Stacker in consultation with Basketball Australia and the ITC State and Territory Coaches will be invited to attend the prestigious three-day camp.

NBL interim Chief Executive Chuck Harmison said the NBL Prospects Camp was something that would become an annual feature on the League's calendar and was aimed at formalising the League's talent identification process.

"This is an exciting initiative and one that all our teams are supporting wholeheartedly," said Harmison. "We have barely scratched the surface of the Australian talent pool as far as basketball goes and we need to continue to provide pathways for our best young players to enter our league, otherwise we will lose them to other sports."

"Our clubs do an excellent job of scouting and developing juniors but this camp will allow all our teams to see the best young players from across the nation in the one venue, playing against each other. It will also provide a series of benchmarks for the players themselves through the physical testing, so they can identify areas of strength and conditioning in which they need to improve. Plus, they will be under the tutelage of a veteran NBL coach in Ian Stacker, so it's a win-win situation for the league and the players."

Basketball Australia Chief executive Scott Derwin said the camp would help underpin the Young Australian Player program that BA and the NBL had instituted last season.

"The YAP initiative fast tracks up-and-coming stars and gives them a chance to experience life as a professional NBL player and this Prospects Camp will provide a clear pathway to that system," said Derwin. "It is a fantastic opportunity for young athletes to showcase their skills in front of world-class coaches who have a keen eye on identifying talent and for athletes to emerge on the national radar."

With only 60 places at the camp available, Stacker said invitations were expected to be highly sought after.

"We already have players falling over themselves to get their hands on an invitation to the camp so they can get a shot at the big league," said Stacker. "It's kind of like the Golden Ticket out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This is the chance of a lifetime for many young kids, to be able to show your stuff in front of scouts and coaches from every team in the NBL."

"I have absolutely no doubt we will see some previously 'unknown' young stars emerge who might not otherwise ever have had the chance to strut their stuff on an NBL stage. I go to junior tournaments all over Australia as part of my scouting business and I know for a fact there are plenty of players who are NBL-ready who just haven't had the chance to prove it to the right people. This camp is their chance and it's exciting to be part of such a landmark event."

Invitations to the event will be sent out to players over the next fortnight, with the final attendee list to be released at a later date.

Topic #16098 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Excellent idea, no wonder it hasn't been done earlier. Will at least give some guys a look in that in the past may have only raised eyebrows of clubs within their own state.

Reply #189440 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Just based on population, SA couldn't expect to get much more than 5 or 6 invites to this.
I assume that guys like Burdon, Gerlach, Breheny, Lalic who have either already had opporunities to train or play here, may not get invited, so who might be next?

Molitor? (Fitness)
K Phillips
Hoban
Grantham

These are just a few younger guys that I have seen at ABL Games, that could play a role.
I would think that guys like Spadavecchia, Craddock & Harvey may not get an invite because of their size.

Reply #189442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless they retain 12 or more teams or introduce a two-tier league, is it really worth it?

Stacker is probably running it as a PR exercise (not taking anything away from that - it's a good idea for him), you'd assume that players have to pay their own way, but where are teams going to find space for these players?

Rip three teams and 30 players out of the league and all but the very best AIS/college players aren't going to get a chance. Already fairly decent SA prospects like Zorich and Sutton seem to have done their dash and will have even fewer opportunities with teams out of the league.

Reply #189445 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Without wanting to sound too cynical, but could this also be a nice opportunity for US College/Euroleague scouts to see slightly older players in one big group.

Don't forget that England as host of the 2012 Olympics are still trying to sort out a Roster for that event. I believe that both Ben Gordon & Luol Deng are agreeing to play, but there might be some other guys in Australia that due to UK Australian rules may qualify to play for England (therefore not as imports in Europe either). e.g. I know he is in the Boomers squad, but Joe Ingles father is English, which would enable Joe to have a UK Passport if he chose and play in Europe as a local.

Reply #189447 | Report this post

Years ago

I believe North Adelaide coach Justin Schuller is running this with Stacker, so one would hope that a fair few Adelaide kids get in off his influence.

For me players like Webber, Gerlach, Hoban, Zorich, Mapunda and Bugey would be great to see get the nod, but even more so the tear under that, like Phillips, Harvey, Florence, Dubrich etc.

All the same a worthy camp, hopefully something that will help bring aussie hoops back to the forefront.

Reply #189462 | Report this post

Agreed  
Years ago

Isaac, I agree - not alot of jobs around right now around the NBL - I doubt any will be signed this yr. But it opens the door for those attending in the future. Teams might even assist in player development for a yr or 2 if they dont sign them by letting them atend their NBL trainings or offering their strength and conditioning expertise to the prospects.

However even if the job opportunities are scarce into the future surely this will strengthen the game as it increases clubs awareness of the talent pool out there, puts pressure on those already in the league to keep their jobs and gives young athletes something to aspire to.

Reply #189485 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

True. Could be official lists of training bait per team.

Thought it was good how West Sydney had an apprentice coach the other year - should be standardised across the league. All teams have a 'work experience' coach to learn and help out, they just don't travel with the team.

Reply #189488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good idea but this isn't what they need to do right now! they need to get more crowd attending NBL!!! That should be their focus!

Reply #189500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sure, but I don't think this is taking their attention. Likely Stacker's taking care of it and the NBL get a bit of a feel-good story amidst the horror of this off-season. Win-win.

Reply #189505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they need to make some major moves quick! maybe too many rules or codes to play around with that's restricting league/teams to do things?

Reply #189513 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

I posted this on this site when the idea officially got the go ahead.

"Great idead. From what I heard it will be a camp of players aged from 18-24 that are not in the NBL aleady. The best 15 players in each position will attend the camp. Thus 75 of the best Australian Players converge on one camp that all NBL coaches will be able to attend. This sort of camp may flesh out some Colleges and NBA Scouts, depending on the players of that year. Who would be SA reps for this

PG - Zorich(194cm), Harvey(180cm), Spadavecchia(178cm), Webber(180cm)

SG - K. Phillips(197cm), Birmingham(185cm), Ng(189cm)

SF - McMath(201cm), Mapunda(194cm), Molitor(204cm), Grantham(201cm)

PF - Hoban(203cm), Lalic(198cm)

C - Dubrich(209cm), Bungey(206cm)

Have I missed any obvious ones. Out of this list I would only select the following for the camp.

Zorich - 24yrs
Ng - 23yrs
McMath - 18yrs
Molitor - 20yrs"

Reply #189519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i personally don't follow, who's victorian in there? (if there's any)

Reply #189530 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754