TR
Years ago

Donaghy and the NBA - Things just got worse...

ESPN just broke a story that Tim Donaghy has said in federal court documents that the NBA conspired with the officials to make a playoff series last 7 games.

The only one from 2002 to go to a 7th was the Kings and Lakers and those last two games were a complete Kings screwjob.....

Time for Mr Stern to walk away...

http://linky.com.au/hpdx1

The linky below are the court papers that where served in the US Federal Court.
http://linky.com.au/uj9cs

Topic #16101 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

That plus when you look at the refereing in this series as well does make you wonder.

Reply #189478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Donaghy would not say anything to stay out of jail. No of course not.

Never let the truth get in way of a good story

Reply #189486 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

feel free to watch Game 6 of the 2002 Kings/Lakers game.......

I watched it two weeks ago and it was a complete screw job... was then and still is now.

Reply #189492 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I bet Andrew Demetriou looks up to David " the revenue " Stern .
Where there is money there will always be agendas , influence and corruption . It is a shame that sport now generates an absurd amount of cash , as that is not what competition is about .

Reply #189497 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

donaghy won't get a better sentence by telling on NBA about the fixed finals because there is no evidence, so it doesn't help him at all at the end of the day

Reply #189506 | Report this post

frogger  
Years ago

at half time of today's ESPN coverage of Game 3, they discussed the allegations Donaghy was drawing against the NBA, also saying that the refs were asked to specifically target a key player in an NBA final series after the opposing team's owner complained to the league. Said series was Rockets vs Mavs in which Rockets were up 2-0 before the Mavs owner Mark Cuban complained about Yao Ming, and with the refs' aid, closed the series in 7 games. Jeff Van Gundy, the Rockets coach at the time was fined $100,000 for criticising the reffing against Yao during the latter half of the series - but it looks like the NBA owes him a big ass apology!

Reply #189511 | Report this post

frogger  
Years ago

ps. winning the series would have gotten Tmac out of the first round!

Reply #189512 | Report this post

i knew it

Reply #189528 | Report this post

I'm waiting for a Spurs Phoenix 07 game 3 game to be revealed as a set up

Reply #189529 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

An older article, but still an interesting read.

http://linky.com.au/56hgz

Reply #189562 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here is the half time session where the issues are also discussed..

http://linky.com.au/mdihy

Reply #189565 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Well NBA official Bob Delaney who reffed during the alleged series claims that noone from any authority involved has questioned him about the series, inferring that Donaghy is flat out lying. This is either a case of Donaghy trying to make it look like the league is corrupt and not him, or the NBA trying to save face through Delaney. Which one is it? Anyone's guess...

Reply #189791 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

To be honest, I think Stern and the NBA is the one ducking and weaving now. Donaghy is going to jail and he knows it. He lost his job, family, sanity, dignity and future by all this. He's a broken man and the bloke really hasn't got any more to lose by further lying to the authorities. Guys this deep down tend to be straight shooters and tell it how it is.

Questions do really have to be answered about that Game 6 between the Kings and Lakers and a few others. Questions have been asked, but the NBA just sweeps them under the table.

I also don't believe that only one ref was involved in something this major. Okay, one ref may have taken money from bookies, but I also believe that other refs have been influenced by the NBA, which as far as I'm concerned is cheating. Where someone attempts to change the outcome of the game I don't really care who and why, they still committed the offence.

Sure, the NBA will turn this around. It's a multi-billion dollar enterprise verses a single person. It would be very interesting if the US Congress decided to hold an Commission into the NBA. It's one thing to bend the facts to the FBI and authorities, but it's another thing to bend the facts during a Commission involving Congress.

Remember that the baseball steriod drama started with one person. Rumours were floating around for years before it hit that players were using steriod. The League officials and team owners all stated "nope, not happening", "all clean", "we wouldn't allow it" and low and behold, one person is caught and the next thing you know the Mitchell Report is commissioned.

Reply #189798 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

I wouldn't be suprised .. maybe not straight out cheating but maybe influence. Don't think for a second Stern doesn't want certain teams to succeed more then others. Hell they tried to make Wade a superstar a few years ago when he was getting phantom soft calls ... hell look at the guy the wrong way and you get a call against you NBA !!! ..to tell the truth the NBA has become so soft .. bring back the tough hard nose era of 80s and 90s when guys would just flat out play, take a hard foul and get on with the job ..without referees help

Reply #189823 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

who's laughing about the suggestions of NBA wanting a Lakers-Celtics finals now for ratings ha !!!??

Reply #189851 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

This is so not cool man.

You have to seriously question so many results...

As a jazz fan, here are two that stand out...

1/ Jordan pushing off Russell to hit "the shot"
(in the same game, howard eisley hit a trey that was waved off dispite making it within the shot clock. And they checked it too...)

2/ Pippen clearly pulling the net down when Shandon Anderson had just shot a lay-up at the end of game 6 in 1997. Should of been goal tending. That set up Kerr for his time in the sun and the bulls, and jordan, win the championship.

I'm sure other fans have remembered being on the bad end of some calls that went the way of the "poppular" teams...

Reply #189880 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

the worst ones where the free throw shooting clinic in the 06 Finals when the NBA wanted to make Wade into its next superstar ..and Game 6 of the Lakers - Kings Conference match where the Lakers were drawing all the fouls down the stretch ..that is one dodgy game

Reply #189902 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Maybe if the NBL had been doctoring results for years the league would be in better shape.

Reply #189961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754