disappointed
Years ago

Hillcrest Stadium - Lift your game!

Went to watch my son play basketball last night at Hillcrest. Don't often see him play but as it was a later game I was able to and looking forward it along with my wife and two younger kids.

Firstly, just want to say what an unenjoyable evening it turned out to be. Firstly, no scoreboard, as apparently it was broken and had been broken for over a week. This to me is unacceptable. No scroeboard, no timeclock only updated scores from the scoring bench. In what proved to be a tight contest for the boys, it was a very frustrating experience to watch and experience not knowing either the score, foul count or timeleft. Along with poor umpiring, lack of hot food and coffee at the canteen and a dismal atmosphere throughout the stadium, well all I can say is that when I pay over $12 for spectators and drive a long way this was quite disappointing.

My other concern was watching the last ten minutes of the game beforehand, two senior girls team one from Woodville. Whether it was a close game or not, I do not know as there was no scoreboard, however it obviously became a heated contest and the discipline of both sides was disgraceful. Whilst the game was in motion, one of the players completely stepped out of the game to have a heated argument with a benched player on sidelines of the other team. There was a heated discussion before next thing you know there are pushes, shoves and next thing a girl fight broke between the two players and the rest of the team.
Whilst this may have provided some atmosphere for some on an otherwise dismal night, this was not a good look for basketball in general and was very frightening for my younger kids.

In future, girls stick to your basketball, it hurts the other team most on the scoreboard. And Hillcrest stadium, pick up your game!

Topic #16103 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, Agree, agree. Hillcrest stadium is a joke. Dead spots on the floor, very average canteen, nowhere much to sit and bench isn't deep enough for a human bum to physically sit on. No fun for players and spectators alike. Very glad I'm not a member of North.

Reply #189526 | Report this post

cruella  
Years ago

why mention only woodville, who was the other team?

Reply #189535 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

how old are your kids? if they are scared of seeing a fight then i'm worried how the will react when they hit 18 and start going out on the town, damn they will be in for a shock

Reply #189538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dude if your a young kid and afight breaks out your going to be a bit scared ok, give them a break we dont all come from punch up portadelaide like you.

Reply #189542 | Report this post

on-looker  
Years ago

Both West adelaide and Hillcrest are "looked" after by Bob Hunnerup.
and as a result both lead the league in poor performance.

Reply #189543 | Report this post

disappointed  
Years ago

Firstly, having started this forum I do apologise that Woodville were the only side mentioned during the scuffle that I witnessed last night. The other team I did not identify, their uniform was not easily distinguished, blue and black stiped I believe? They were not from your recognised district clubs eg. North, West, Sturt etc.

In regards to your comments Ricey, my kids are 5 and 9 years old. They are just starting to learn the fundamentals of basketball. One of the reasons I would like them to watch their older brother to play is to learn about sportsmanship, fair play, discipline, respecting the opposistion etc along with the skills and everything else that comes with the game. I was disapoointed by what I saw from the girls game beforehand last night. Directly verbally abusing the umps,sleding each other, unnecessary and forceful pushing, shoving,etc. Perhaps the umps were to blame for not calling techs or warnings earlier. Perhaps it is no suprise the end result was two players involved in an all round brawl that brought the game into disrepute and had to be separted with one , maybe both players ejected from the stadium. I'm sure my kids will see many fights in their years to come, this was just not the kind of environment I would have expected it in, especially from the girls who were senior, most of them young adults, and not your under 16s or under 18s.

Reply #189566 | Report this post

NASA  
Years ago

In regards to the dismal state of Hillcrest stadium, I couldn't agree more either.

For a club such as North Adelaide that prides itself on success and has a history of such sorts, it amazes me to see the current state of the so-called 'Rocketpad" or "Launch pad" whatever they call it, and that this is homeground of where many champions and talented basketball have been bred.

The North ABL games (men and women) are a drawcard to watch but certainly not at Hillcrest. The last time I went to a game there I noticed a sign above me that highlighted in big letters NASA (assuming this is for North Adelaide South Australia) with a rocket below indicating this as the launchpad.

I can think of another use for those letters: NASA

Need Another Stadium ASAP

Otherwise, all your supporters and fellow basketball goers will fly off into space and launch off somewhere else.

Reply #189572 | Report this post

Salty  
Years ago

Hillcrest is a special place no doubt. However do you think the Rockets choose to play in a sub par stadium? How do you think they feel turning up there every week to play. As far as the Senior sides go they love it. They get a distinct advantage from playing there so good luck to them. They have to put up with it so bite you tongue and attend the once a year you have to play there.

Reply #189580 | Report this post

Years ago

Here is an idea for all the Pro-AAMI upgrade people...

Rather than pumping $100 Million into AAMI, how about spreading it around to local venues who could use it? eg. Hillcrest?

And they wonder why kids dont bother playing sport and there is an obesity problem. Great facilities get filled and used... simple as that.

Reply #189582 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Whilst the game was in motion, one of the players completely stepped out of the game to have a heated argument with a benched player on sidelines of the other team.

The player wouldn't have had to step out of court to do this at Hillcrest.........

Reply #189598 | Report this post

chik  
Years ago

I think your talking about Woodville and Adelaide Uni in the Div 5 Womens comp. Im not surprised Woodville always turn nasty and feral if they are losing and always try and start either deliberatly injuring players they are playing against or something along those lines.

Reply #189600 | Report this post

25yrswoodville  
Years ago

Hey chick do you have any evidence of the Woodville team doing what you say.
This is a slur on this team & the club, so if you have the proof either put up or shutup.
By the way I think you owe an apology to the girls.

Reply #189611 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Ricey the only reason you see so many fights is because you hang out in a scene (not knocking you, just pointing out the facts) where you have a bunch of wannabe f*ckwit homeboys acting tough. Which is the major reason I don't bother with most of that b*llshit anymore - I only go to the shows where a big name is performing..

And a bit of a pity that you experienced that fight "disappointed", but in all of my years playing district basketball I never saw an incident like this so lets keep it in context here - it is very, very rare and people reading this forum shouldn't think that it is commonplace. Rather, you just witnessed a rare, unlucky occurrence.

Reply #189625 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Girl fight! Bring it on, Puuuurrr!!

Reply #189626 | Report this post

Kramer  
Years ago

Ya Ya Cat Fight!!!

Reply #189670 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

i was at this game and saw the fight and it was clearly insigated by a member of the Adelaide Uni team

I played there later that night also and the lack of a functioning scoreboard that they have known about for 2 weeks is an absolute disgrace

Reply #189700 | Report this post

fairplay  
Years ago

I was at this game as well and although I only came in towards the end of the game, I saw what happened and was also under the impression that it was an Adelaide Uni player who was clearly mouthing off and not suprisingly prompted the outcome. However, this does not account or excuse the resulting action of either the Woodville or Adelaide players involved.

In regards to Chik, unless you were actually at the game or witnessed any of the match, then your comments are not warranted or are fair to the Woodville players or club in itself. It is an insult to mock a club of being feral and trying to injure an opposistion player when the going gets tough for them. Have you ever addressed this before? Do you or your kids play against Woodville teams? Are you referring to any Woody teams in general?

It may be just me, but I also think that this matter may be overexaggerated and people making a big deal because it was a group of girls/women and not boys/men involved in a fight? Would people react the same way?

Reply #189710 | Report this post

chik  
Years ago

I was referring only to this Div 5 team not any others for Woodville and i have witnessed them doing it before so i stand by my comments. Regardless of if others agree. So maybe it wasnt them this time i dont know i wasnt there but I have seen them act this way on more then 1 occasion.

Reply #189742 | Report this post

umpire  
Years ago

Rumour has it that one of Woodville scorers from this Div.5 team slapped an umpire in the face either this season or the previous one and was asked to leave the stadium. No matter the behaviour of the girls is appalling if it extends to the bench.

Reply #189762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rumour is seven shots were fired and eleven chimps arrested for taking peanuts from the canteen while the atendant was dancing the flamingo with a russian balerina in goggles!

Reply #189764 | Report this post

VB  
Years ago

I play in the Div. 5 womens competition and having played Woodville on a couple of occassions and watched them play before and after my games, I have at times noticed alot of aggression, mostly verbal conflict towards umpires and other players on and off the court.

However, in fairness to the Woodville girls it seems to be a couple of players in particular and not the whole team. I used to play with a girl in that team and I have always known her to be very tough but fair player and respectful of the opposing side, never one to talk back or abuse the umps, just gets on with the game. Secondly, there are other teams in the comp. who are just as bad, if not worse, always being warned and so on. These clubs andf players should know who they are.

My advice just get on with the game. After all, that's all it is. I also hope those two teams don't play off in finals.

Reply #189765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chik, how about the tough games that North, West Western and Southern play. Did your team lose to the woodville div 5's because honestly ive seen them play quite a few times and they play tough not dirty. that is the way basketball is it's tough it's physical and people do get hurt. No matter what sport you play you run the risk of injury.

if you don't like it then don't play ball. I was at the stadium and honestly i would have reacted in the same mannor. that Adelaide uni girl was verbally at it all game and going for the body not the ball and honestly after a game of that i think anyone would have lost their temper.

as for the stadium it is a disgrace. I hate playing at that stadium as the refs suck and the courts are worse.

Reply #189767 | Report this post

Whinge  
Years ago

Whinge whinge whinge.................

Wake up people!! Most district stadiums in our city are a dump!! Where does the money come from to fix this problem? Our NBL is on the brink of extinction because of money FFS!!!!

Before you bag clubs with dingy stadiums, spare a thought for the poor clubs like Sturt, Forrestville & Norwood who have been hand fed a new stadium over the years!

Give me a break.

Reply #189770 | Report this post

NASA  
Years ago

Does anyone have a tape of the match? I'll pay good money for it even it it was at Hillcrest. Better still, I do hope these teams play off again the finals, what are the odds?

If so, I'll make sure the Rocky theme is the pre-game warm-up music in the background and that there are bodyguards and police security in the stadium.

Perhaps, Coast FM should interview this Adelaide Uni player sometime this week, better than listening to all the other pre-game ABL bore and usual chit chat.

I'm going along to watch the div. 5 girls this week and getting going out to watch the other divisions play. Looks like I'm missing out on some fun and entertainment and some tough, physical basketball. I urge other supporters to do the same> It's not all about ABL.

Reply #189775 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

You think its bad for the players. Spare a thought for the poor spectators sitting on the sidelines only 2 feet away from the court and watching a 100kg 6'8" body losing his balance and coming down crashing on you.

Reply #189781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sure that wasn't a dream from last night? just kidding!!

Reply #189784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whinge - it seems that YOU are the biggest whinger on here! Not to mention incorrect.

Reply #189818 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

EC, how many 6'8" 100kg bodies are there playing in the div 5 women at the moment?

Reply #189822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hillcrest is a joke, cant believe how such a hole of a stadium can be used to play district level basketball.

Reply #189829 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

I hope this scoreboard trouble is on Court 2? Would hate to think the big game on Saturday night would be affected?

Reply #189831 | Report this post

The scoreboard I believe was out on both courts the other night. That is disgraceful especially if the club had known about it for over two weeks.

I'm sure it will be well and truly fixed by the time the ABl games recommence however it is not fair to players of other divisions who have had to encounter this. The scoreboard has a huge bearing on the result of most games and influences the way a team plays especially in the dying seconds of a close match. Tuesday was not the first time I had played a match without the scoreboard not working, this also happened in a div.4 game last year.. the venue, suprise, suprise, Hillcrest.

Reply #189887 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

To be fair, the problem at Hillcrest was evidently caused by some clown turning off the buzzer by pulling wires out in prefernce to switching off the power.

Scoreboards are a problem. In the last 12 months, I've seen issues with scoreboards at Pasadena, Wayville, MARS, Port Adelaide, the Dome and Hillcrest. Apart from this week and a few lights missing on the display, Hillcrest usually isn't too bad.

Reply #189911 | Report this post

Hill_billy  
Years ago

Even the lights and scorebaord went out at the MCG or one of the big footy stadiums during a live AFL game a couple of years ago. The second hlaf of the game had to be replayed a few nights later if anyone remembers.

Reply #189953 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DaddyO, I was referring to the stadium rather than a particular game. Its still the same stadium at 8.15pm on a Saturday night.

Reply #189963 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Having a scoreboard out of action is pretty ordinary... Especially if it is in an ABA Women's semi final last year at Port Adelaide... but that is another story.

I am agreeing with "Whinge" here, how many of our stadiums are really up to scratch??? Most of us would have been running around somewhere in Melbourne last weekend, and even their ordinary stadiums run rings around ours. I understand where these problems arise from, but Hillcrest isn't on it's own.... Marion, MV, Port, Mars, Eastern Hills... all pretty ordinary.

But I can't see anything changing until these clubs go off their own bat (Very unlikely) or join with a school. The money is just not there and our stadiums haven't been made up from the foundations like the Vic's. Hence the stadiums will be there forever... unless they burn down!

Reply #189975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Sturt about that! :P

Reply #189976 | Report this post

Hill_billy  
Years ago

Yes I remember the old Sturt Stadium and when it burnt down in 99'2000 or so, due to an electrical fault. At least it was out of it's misery.

PS. What ever happenened to my favourite, the old Forestville stadium. When and why did it close? I left the basketball scene for a few years only to discover Forestville teams played at Wayville. I thought it was a pretty good stadium .

Reply #190014 | Report this post

Speaking of stadiums, I grew up playing my juniour district career for Woodville at Athol Park. Now this was a great stadium, great clubrooms, 4 courts, plenty of atmosphere. I loved being a Warrior, despite our lack of success as a team, but I always had alot of pride in our hometurf which p!##ed on many other stadiums at the time (early/late 90s).

I spent many years fundraising for the club and
I was always under the impression once Athol Park closed there would be a new stadium in the making and that The Dome was temporary.

Fast forward to 2008, the home of the Woodville Warriors is still at the Dome. Don't get me wrong. You can't top the Dome or ask for a better place for homegames and use of it's facilities. But to me it is the home of the 36ers/Lightning and doesn't have a club atmosphere like AP did. From what I know, most teams don't even train there. Hillcrest, St. Ives and co. may not poor and dungy stadiums, but at least they have a good club atmosphere and from the minute you walk in you see the flags and the trophy cabinets and photos and you know it is the home of the Rockets, the Bearcats etc.

I know Athol Park was demolished for some money making venture I'm sure, but if anyone knows the why's??? or whatever happened to a so-called promised new stadium then drop me a line.

Reply #190015 | Report this post

anonomyous  
Years ago

Bowden was the best stadium
Back in my era the old bearcats use to dominate, our closet rival was sturt and we use to beat them by about 70 in the GF. We use to play against some quality teams with some quality coaches.Steve Johansen,Mark Lampshire.
Aaaahhhhh they were the days no bitchen and sooken like thay do now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #190030 | Report this post

Apollo13  
Years ago

Miss the old Apollo stadium, still have many fond memories there of the West End 36ers!

Reply #190083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been attending hillcrest stadium for over 20 years I have never been unable to get a hot coffee ,tea or chocalate and their sqishydogs a famous throughout all basketball stadiums, players leave other stadiums to buy one on their way home. also wednesday at hillcrest are only 2 time slots so your children would not have been out too late. Is hillcrest the only stadium that fights occur I dont think so.jef

Reply #190230 | Report this post

Angryplayer  
Years ago

If people want to get the facts right a ex woodville player's parent slapped a ref on the arm last season and was not allowed to play for woodville again and for what happened last week the woodville player was provoked and the adelaide uni player who was involved had been saying stuff all game to woodville players and umpires so a few people need to get thier facts right before saying stuff about woodville

Reply #190259 | Report this post

fairplay  
Years ago

I agree. Time to move on, if individual players or teams are a problem then surely the ref's will take action and those player/s will be dealt with and the appropriate action be taken by their clubs or at BASA level, one would assume.

Perhaps, in future it's not a good idea to name individual clubs or certain grades for matters like this, it creates unnecessary and unwanted attention and is unfair to those players in that grade, team or corresponding clubs who are not involved.

Reply #190277 | Report this post

warnie  
Years ago

Perhaps the Adelaide Uni players/s should try out for the Australian cricket team and learn some world-class sledging from some world-class talent.

Better still, they may even give the Aussies a run for their money!

PS. don't move on from this forum, this is the best one for quite some time! Let us hear more about the girls.

Reply #190314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly the scoreboards werent broken for two weeks there was a fault on the saturday and they were broken for the next week and fixed the week after! its noones fault that there is only one person in adelaide who fixes scoreboards and therefore the hillcrest scoreboards had to wait for him to be free to fix them.

Did you ask at the canteen for any hot drinks or food?? you can get hot drinks at anytime and you can always get a hot dog!! even if they have sold out of pies and pasties

sure Hillcrest is a dump but what do you suggest we do about it?? Im sure everybody would be happy with a better stadium but do you have the $$$ to put up for one?

Also NASA prehaps if you actually read the sign instead of assuming what it is about, i checked out the sign and it is advertising the mini ball program that has recently started called North Adelaide School Aged Basketball, the rocket in my opinion is just being used as a eye catching logo!

Reply #190971 | Report this post

disappointed  
Years ago

To the above, firstly apologies on my behalf for starting this forum in the first place. I think it was just one person's whinging account of a frustrating night thay they had at a basketball stadium trying to watch their son play and taking their younger kids with them. When you don't get the chance to go all that often and travel a long way with the cost of petrol, I guess I just hoped for a better night then to be wathcing a long game and tight game without a scoreboard, lack of hot food (which there was) and seeing a heated incident and tussle with the girl's game before. This is also on top of a long and lousy day at work, I must admit.

I didn't expect my comments to cause such an uproar and feedback from so many different angles. Yes, these incidents and unexpected misfortunes can happen at any time and at any stadium. I had no idea that only one person in Adel. can fix the scoreboard and of course I realise if Hillcrest had the funding of course we would see any upgrade in the future. It is not fair to mock the stadium for what it is, it's the basketball we come to see at the end of the day. I have had many great expereinces wtahcing basketball at Hillcrest over the years and that goes back to when my son played on Friday nights and Sat. mornings, maybe that's why I thought the stadium lacked atmosphere being a Tuesday night.

Anyway, hope nothing was taken personal from my account and to those who also supported me in mocking everything from the stadium to the girl's game, lets move on and in future keep our opinions low-key or just move on fom here together.

NASA, you were right though, in Need Another Stadium ASAP. Funny stuff.. this could start off a campaign, but at the end of the day, lets help the stadium out with some $$$ before we continue to mock them.

Keep up the good work that you do do Hillcrest that you never will hear about.

Reply #191156 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754