the_champ33
Years ago

Rumour: Melo to Pistons?

ESPN Insider has the headline that the Pistons might do a blockbuster trade to get Melo to the Pistons. How true this is, nobody knows. But Melo's name has been mentioned a lot.

Will Melo be traded in the off season or remain a Nugget?

Your thoughts please.

Topic #16113 | Report this topic

shin splints  
Years ago

How ironic that they could (should?) have drafted Melo but instead went with the human cigar Darko.

Reply #189643 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I'd love to see Melo at the Pistons!

I can't see how it could happen though.

Or why the Nuggets would trade away their only young star, leaving behind and old AI and Camby, as well as injury prone K-Mart and loose cannon JR Smith...

Any word on whats happening in Indiana?

O'neal wants out i'm sure, and managment has grown tired of Tinsley.... two players that could be aquired for a steal and have huge upside...

Also- Elton Brand will command big money and is possible the highest risk/reward free agent in recent memory. At the top of his game Elton is a terrific player, both in defence and scoring in the paint, but with his career losing record and recent injury the idea of trusting him would keep most GM's up at night... I know the 76's were looking at Brand, could be a good fit there.

Reply #189653 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Elton has a career losing record because he's a Clipper. Not his fault.

Reply #189660 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

"Any word on whats happening in Indiana?

O'neal wants out i'm sure, and managment has grown tired of Tinsley.... two players that could be aquired for a steal and have huge upside..."

Pretty big downside too IMO

Reply #189664 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I think the Pacers would trade Tinsley for almost any player who has a shorter/similar contract. Talented player who is very injury prone and always seems to get on the wrong side of each of the Pacers coaches. He is also a very questionable defender and with the NBA's rule changes having a PG who can prevent penetration is important.

I dont think that the Pacers will dump JO for peanuts. After the next season he will have a ~22mil expiring contract. Even if he isn't healthy that will be enough to get some value for him. If he plays 70+ games and can get back to atleast 15pts/8rebounds then I think there would be a number of teams after his services.

If the Pacers get a good offer for him this summer I could see him being traded, but I think its in their best interest to wait a while longer on that one.

I doubt that the Pacers deal with Denver. Especially not the JO for Camby and Martin deal that has been rumoured.

Reply #189674 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I would rather Brand than JO by a long mile! Brand is coming back from a ruprured achilles not a knee reconstruction. He has proven his fitness and even came back to play a few good games at the end of the season. JO has been struggling for a while now, is past his prime...

Reply #189677 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Brand is a better scorer and rebounder than JO. But committing to a 5-6 year max contract player coming off a knee reco is different to a player with injury problems with a 1-2 year max contract.

JO when healthy was a top 3 MVP candidate the year that the Pacers had the best record in the NBA.

Reply #189678 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

"JO when healthy was a top 3 MVP candidate the year that the Pacers had the best record in the NBA."

When was that? So long ago it isn't relevant anymore. Charles Barkley was MVP in 1993 when the Suns had the best record. He's now MVP of the Donut Eating League.

Reply #189683 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

mark, so was shaq!

Once upon a time. JO might not be very old, but he has a lot of miles on his speedo, I wouldn't like to have him on my team anymore.

Unless Pistons could score a 3 way trade, say Billups to Memphis, with Pick 3 (OJ Mayo)and Mike Miller going to Denver (plus whatever filler is required for salary purposes), then Melo to Pistons, I couldn't see it happening. (Adding in, I couldn't see why Memphis would want Billups anyway, but their GM (Chris Wallace) was at Boston when Billups was originally drafted & they gave Gasol away for spare parts)

Reply #189689 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I read that JO and his people are actually EXPECTING to go to Cleveland at some point. And the Cavs have a few decent expirings to offer, so I wouldn't be suprised to see them land him.

Reply #189702 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

JO at cleveland would be massive. MASSIVE.
I would have them as favourites for next year, no matter what scrubs fill out the other spots on the floor.

Reply #189704 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Would Melo be replacing McDyss or Prince on court?

While melo would finally be with a team that can last a finals series, you'd have to look at a 2 person trade for him at least. Probably looking at Prince and 2 bench players for Melo if that's the case.

Could always join LJ in Clevland and trade out Wally and Ben for him.

Why would Melo want out of Denver anyway? feeling sad because he still hasn't seen a Semi final yet?

Reply #189805 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754