Isaac
Years ago

NH: Dramas in Australian golf

Not quite a feel-good story for basketball, but it's nice to know (in some way) that at least we're not the only ones struggling with management and corporate sponsorship.

This from Crikey:

The once-thriving sport that rode on Greg Norman's coat-tails through the 1980s and 90s, that used to proudly boast about its huge participation numbers, that once featured a dozen or more professional tournaments each summer, is in disarray.

The departure this week of Golf Australia's chief executive Tony Hallam, 18 months before his contract was due to expire, has resulted in a raft of recriminations and bickering, and confirmed the suspicion that golf has become the red-headed stepchild of Australian sport.

So dire is the situation that the Australian Open, once described as the "fifth major" because it routinely attracted players of the calibre of Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and Arnold Palmer each year, is without a major sponsor and, according to some, in danger of not going ahead this December. For the first time (wars aside) since 1904.

The Australian Women's Open is also looking for a major sponsor. The Australian Masters, a fixture on the calendar at Huntingdale for the past 30 years, this year lost Mastercard as its main backer and its future, too, is under a cloud.
If they're the red-headed stepchild, what does that make basketball?

Topic #16118 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

the ex-husband?

Reply #189714 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Fair to say basketball is not alone in the current Australian sporting landscape.

Reply #189715 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The evil (leftsided) siamese twin who was, separated at birth, left chained up in the attic and fed fish heads and who, for a brief time (ahh the 80's)escaped and lived a high life before being discovered and is slowly being pushed back into the attic.

Reply #189716 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe 'aborted, alien foetus' or "Sam Cassell" for short.

Reply #189718 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

I think Basketball might be the "Daddo Brothers) of Australian Sport.

Everybody knows they are here, but if the majority ignore them enough, eventually they will go away!

Reply #189721 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Not fair. Australian Basketball has enjoyed far more international success than the Daddo Bros.

I think more like Trevor Chappell. Good genetics, some success but only the older generation have heard of it & remember it fondly.

Reply #189724 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Nah, basketball is more like Peter Combe... was loved 10 years ago but now only good for a laugh to reminisce on times past

Reply #189730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ me and lockstocks comments. Nice work guys.

Reply #189749 | Report this post

Bubbalicious  
Years ago

Bad Boy Bubby

Reply #189817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754