Quagmire
Years ago

Game 5 predictions (eventual spoiler)

Ok, i really want to point out so far that just about every prediction i have made this entire playoffs has been wrong, so i am giving a huge kiss of death when i say- Boston should comfortably win from here.

They will not take their foot off the pedal at any stage so it will be up to the Lakers to get a step up on their play.

With extra pressure of finals it seems the Lakers are going from a team to an individual mentality. There are two possible reasons for this, the first, as individuals they are just trying too hard, playing harder not smarter and forgeting that old addage that a basketball team is like a hand, five fingers working together forming a fist.

The second (more likely) reason is pure arrogance. That players have stopped doing team things, the 1%ers, when the game is tight, the individual arrogance of their star is taking its toll.

Another thing in the celtics favour- the new ref scandal. In the good old days before we discovered stern has been rigging games, we would see the Lakers win the next two games with Kobe scoring 40+ in each (8/22 fg, 20/22 ft) and the game 7 would rate through the roof. We would of been none the wiser.

Unluckily for the Lakers the refs are going to have to be straight down the line as they will be scrutinised more than ever.

A deciding factor in the series could be the type of games the refs now call. If they begin to get real strict it could cause problems for the Celtic defence and play into the soft Lakers hands..

Topic #16148 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Okay, I'm cheating slightly, because the game has just started, but I think LA will play hard tonight and odds are they will get the W.

Celtics are banged up and that last game must have taken a lot out of them. If they can hang tough in the first half though, thats when the Lakers may start to doubt and we will see of the pressure gets to them.

But I think the Lakers may stumble home after a couple of scares in this one.

Reply #190111 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I'm guessing that with about 9 min left in the first half...T. Allen makes 2-pt layup (P. Pierce assists)

Reply #190112 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sam Cassel just got an assist. Should this have its own thread?

Reply #190113 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Nice one Doc. Sam Cassell, the Yinka Dare of point guards...

Reply #190116 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I can't believe Sam has been in the game for 6 minutes and hasn't had a shot.

Reply #190117 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

So from what i can see, LA got the jump with Kobe hitting treys, now the inevitable, claw back through hard work and the celts will be celebrating on the laker hardwood. Hey, if Sam-I-am is passing and not shooting, LA is in trouble. Next he'll reject a Kobe break away dunk Josh Smith style...

Reply #190118 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Carbon copy of game 4 but the Celtics have got it back earlier so far. PP has been playing great. Nice to see Tony Allen and Mihm getting some minutes in the series. I think it will go down to the wire.

Reply #190119 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Been a rough morning trying to get a decent feed for this game! Looks like C's back in it though. Kobe and Pierce both having dominant offensive games.

So who's going to get the support they need? Does Gasol dominate with Perkins out and KG in foul trouble? Or does KG come out in the 2nd half and find his offensive game?

I'm surprised Ray has been out so long. Maybe Doc is trying to rest his legs as long as possible? This is a chance to close the series out tho, I think I'd have him go close to 48 again if necessary.

Reply #190120 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL Quagmire... you're trying really hard to employ that reverse mocker again aren't you?!?!

What's the opposite of Sam Cassell rejecting Kobe like Josh Smith? Answer: not sure yet but it can't be good for the Celtics!

Reply #190121 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Seriously though, is LA going to win when Kobe has scored 13 of his 15pts from the 3pt and free throw line? I would only say yes if it was because they are running everything through Gasol and swinging it to Kobe for these looks.. Hard to tell on a box-score update...

Reply #190122 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Why did Kobe sit so much during the Celts comeback? Surely he needs to be on the floor as much as possible, it is not like Phil can save him for teh next game if they lose.

Reply #190123 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Paul Pierce is The Truth........ Pure clutch....

I think Boston will win this one. The Lakers are in front at the 1/2, but it took an exceptional 1st quarter to get there. Boston look more settled, more in their sets and playing better defence now.

It is a real concern that a team can be so hot in the one quarter and then totally suck in the next. Maybe Phil sat Kobe for to long and he lost of mojo. I'm sure it will come back, but 2nd quarter was hardly showtime.

Now for some serious questions. If the Lakers lose:

1) How many cars will be torched????
2) To the closest thousand, guess how many people will riot in the street
3) How many cars will be overturned???
4) How many homicides????
5) How many shops will be looted
6) Will the Celtics be able to get out of LA in one piece????

Reply #190124 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I wish I had seen more of the 1st quarter, but going by the 2nd this has been a great game to watch. Real end to end stuff with both teams going right at each other. Some excellent shooting and good skills by both teams.

Ironically, the teams have switched in this game, with Boston going for a small run and gun team and the Lakers now crashing the boards and going into the paint successfully.

I'm a little concerned though, because this small lineup is allowing Gasol and Odom to contribute and gain confidence. I prefer it when its Kobe versus the world. He isn't going to beat the Celtics by himself.

My question for the 2nd half:
Will the real slim K-G please stand up?

Reply #190125 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Celtics just need to be close come the end of the game to give it a shot. Doc is actually coaching very well, especially considering KG's foul trouble and limited minutes. Our bench players are functioning very well as a team and being a lot more productive than the Lakers. Kobe will have to carry the Lakers.

Reply #190126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

feed anyone??????

Reply #190127 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

after much stuffing around I found this one:
http://www.justin.tv/luisquiroz

Reply #190128 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

You really have to give a tone of credit to the Celts.
They have a team that works so hard.

If the Lakers lose, i'd hate to be Kobes wife, no-way he is hearing "NO" tonight... (she's probably out with Karl Malone anyway..)

Reply #190129 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

hmmmmmmmm, the Celts have now gone cold.... This is now where the Big 3 really need to step up and earn there coin. PP has been awesome, Ray has done some nice things and KG is having a dog of a game. It's KG's time now to step it up.

The Celts are really missing Perkins, and they are looking a little flat. I wonder why Doc didn't go with Powe to add some size and spark during the 3rd.

Reply #190130 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Foul trouble is really hurting the Celtics tonight. PJ is not going to be able to hold the fort by himself. I think Perk being out could cost the Celtics this game.

Reply #190132 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Foul trouble eh....

Reply #190135 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Here comes the story of the finals, Sam Cassell scores 16 un-answered points in the fourth!

(sorry Beantown, massive reverse mocker imployed)

Reply #190136 | Report this post

man, James posey is the man. what a winner

Reply #190137 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

C'mon Quagmire you're killing me. Everytime Cassell does something I'm fearing the worst! It drives me crazy cos he scores and pulls off important plays, but he also takes away from everyone else on the court. If we're going to iso every play I sure as hell don't want Cassell doing it!

AND KG, for F###K's SAKE, when you get the ball in the paint don't kick it out to Cassell FOR ANOTHER LONG BOMB! AAAAAARRGHGH

Reply #190138 | Report this post

god, here come the refs to wreck the game. KG and Pierce's 5th foul both called in 5 seconds.

Reply #190139 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Foul trouble eh....

Reply #190140 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

With Pierce and KG on 5 fouls each the Lakers really should close this out. Gasol should have been posting up KG all quarter. If the Lakers are smart, the next two plays Kobe or Gasol will try to foul out Pierce and then KG in succession and it will be game over.

Reply #190141 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more Beantown, the Celtics should be doing the same with Kobe as well. Hitting FT is going to be crucial.

Reply #190142 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I reckon Pierce was hesitant to drive on that TO. Instead of taking it to the basket, he tried the upfake and it didn't work. Smarter play next time down. Damn the torpedoes, Pierce, full speed ahead!

Reply #190143 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Should a been 3 secs on Gasol in the paint. Lucky he missed. KG then plays it smart and forces the over the back foul. shooting two

Reply #190145 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Awww come on KG...

Reply #190146 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bounce of the ball going Lakers way and they are making their FT's... looks bad for C's

Reply #190148 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Doc Rivers with balls of steel, subs in Tony "you never know what you're gonna get" Allen

Reply #190149 | Report this post

Kobe waits until 37 seconds left to do anything. what a dagger

Reply #190150 | Report this post

KG's gone missing

Reply #190151 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big play by Kobe with the steal. Looked like a foul on the replay, but not certain. Ah well, thems the breaks. Not the Celtics day today

Reply #190152 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Definite foul on Kobe, should be almost automatic. I guess the earlier call of no corupt refs is wrong! ;)

Reply #190154 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That was damn close with House's 3 and then almost the steal!

Reply #190157 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Good game, Lakers did enough to survive. Boston will win at home on Wednesday though. Just hope Perk is back to give us another physical presence.

Reply #190158 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good close game. Lakers took advantage of Celtics weakness today with Perkins out. Able to get Celtics in foul trouble which meant they could not lock down on defence late like they needed to.

Perkins needs to give the Celtics some minutes in game 6 and the big 3 need to stay out of foul trouble.

Reply #190159 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'd love to see this go down to a game 7...the Lakers supporting cast helped get it done today. Odom starting to make an impact.

Reply #190160 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

In light of the ESPN All-time greatest Finals performance article currently on their NBA page, how clear is it that Duncan is by a country mile a better player than KG. KG isn't even the second best player on his team in this Finals series.

Also, what fukt up system ranks Wade's Finals performance as the greatest of all time? What a joke.

Reply #190163 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

Lakers are definitely gonna have to find some defence to close out any games in Boston. Pierce made it look so easy goin to the hoop off some of those picks.

Lakers definitely looked better when moving the ball, when trying to take them on one on one (eg Gasol and Bryant) the Boston team defence crushed them. Love to see a close game 7 but cant see it gettin past 6.

Reply #190164 | Report this post

thedoctor, that must the umpires' greatest performances if Wade got up there

Reply #190165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite everything that happend in the game KG could have won the game for Celts with FTs and tip ins, instead he choked!!

Very dissapointed with KG, PP should be pissed.

Reply #190167 | Report this post

oh its Hollingers piece of fuckin supercrap PER system. I hate that system

Reply #190169 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Just looking at those Finals performances it makes it a little clearer why Phoenix gambled on Shaq - check out his numbers!

Reply #190172 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Agreed - Shaq was a monster. Tell me how Wade's performance out-ranks Jordan in 1991 when Jordan averaged 33 points, 11.5 assists and 7 rebounds. Ridiculous.

And Duncan in 2003. 24 points, 17 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 5.5 blocks.

If anything, the fact that Wade topped the rankings should be reason enough for Hollinger to scrap the system and start again.

Reply #190187 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Sub out Wade for prime Jordan... with shaq in the paint Michael would of scored like 30-40 with assists of 10-15 for the three quarters he played. (he would rest each fourth coz they would of been up by 30.)

That article is a joke.

Reply #190235 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I tend to ignore anything Hollinger comes up with. He'll always pull some BS stat out of his hole to make his favorite players look better... That final series was a joke, good old Stern had his fingerprints all over the cookie jar in that series... D-Whistle as number 1 is just bad.....

Reply #190237 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Bird's 27.0, 9.7 and 9.5 in 1986 is only good enough for 29th!

Reply #190239 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Yeah- no love shown for Bird's efforts or Magic playing centre.

What about the Dream and the way he carried the Rockets back 2 back????

Reply #190241 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

I wonder if the NBA will be so arrogant and blatant as to fix it so we get Game 7 ... just like they fix the Heat championship to make Wade a star and give Shaq another title.. and game 6 of 02 that cost Sacramento a chance at the tile ... there was no way they would allow 2 small markets to compete for a title. Anythime a small market comes through it is against a big market team or team with the biggest stars think Bulls vs ... LA vs ... etc

Reply #190293 | Report this post

i don't think the NBA cared about making Wade a star, it was the fact that Stern didn't want Mark Cuban to win a title.

Reply #190303 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

sure they wanted a star .. stars sell merchandise $$$$ ... when you have one player making over 20 million a year in a multi billion dollar industry ..you're naive to think theres no corruption!!

Reply #190306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm not a heat or dallas fan but i really think heat won that one fair and square; heat was my prediction to win that year from the start. they had a bunch of firepower that year (which they let go during the offseason after that) playing against dallas who had nobody (dirk just can't play in the postseason).

Reply #190308 | Report this post

La Boy  
Years ago

honestly, we got lucky with game 5; credit to celtics defense (as much as i hate to admit) kobe missed a few chances to close out at the end that was VERY dissapointing. yeh sure he slamed home the game winner but that's only cos we got lucky with his steal which could've easily been a reaching call

Reply #190310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754