SVD
Years ago

Chris Ford on Jawai

Just read on Chris Ford's Draft Watch - not good news - he is in the "Not Hot" Section

Nathan Jawai, F/C, Australia
Jawai hurt his groin in a workout in San Antonio. He's unlikely to work out again before the draft and that's a big blow to a player who needed to get in front of as many teams as possible. This probably pushes Jawai into the second round.

Topic #16158 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

He was due to workout with the Pacers yesterday but pacers.com report he has a Thigh injury.

Lets hope its short term.

Reply #190244 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He was named as the #6 international prospect in the draft on ESPN late last week, and was given glowing reports.

Surely scouts have done their homework by now? Seems a little far fetched that teams would overlook him because os a groin injury, or conversely decide to burn their 1st round pick on the basis of a workout.

Reply #190250 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

That is a negative set back

Reply #190253 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

That was a pointless post. Captain Obvious lives!

Reply #190265 | Report this post

den  
Years ago

he was never going to be drafted first round anyway.

Reply #190268 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I always thought he was a chance to get picked with one of the last 5 picks of the first round, hopefully this doesn't hurt his chances at getting drafted all together

Reply #190271 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Gotta be a huge set back doesn't it?

A dark horse to begin with, he needed everything to go right for him. Now seems bound to be a second round gamble and must perform in summer league play to get a spot.

When it's all said and done, if your good enough, you'll get there. Too much time and money is spent on scouting for players to slip through the cracks..

The problem is that too many players are convinced their good enough when they are just not.

29 teams, 12-15 on a roster, that means just over 400 spots. Now consider that most of those spots are already filled with vets and young players from previous drafts... and every year more players come in...

Reply #190281 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd still trust the scouts to know their job and players better than Chris Ford.... Guys get injuries, and it's not an injury that will impact him long term (like a ACL or similar). Teams can still interview him and talk to him which now days a lot of teams take into serious consideration. It's easy to watch tapes of players, but it's another thing to sit a player down and talk to them and find out how they work.

One thing that the Bucks were impressed with when Bogut worked out with them was the simple fact he presented himself very well and that won them over. The workouts between Bogut and Williams were similar, but Bogut was just more professional and impressed the Bucks more off the court.

Reply #190292 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Yes, but as all the fantasy players know, sometimes you leave a guy in the hope that you don't have to "waste" an earlier pick on him in the hope that he may still be there later. The real thing is different to fantasy I know - but the mentality can be the same. I think he will slide to late second round.

Reply #190295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scouts would of done there homework by now and if there was someone who wanted him he they will be taking him in the first round. this injury wouldnt be a set back and he would no whats was going on by now.

Reply #190309 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Agreed TR i remember seeing footage of Bogut, when he met the Bucks owner he handed him his CV in a bound document that gave the owner his basketball background.

I thought it strange at the time, but now think it is part of getting the job

Reply #190311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definitely not look good as they may think he's injury prone (just like contract reduction if you're injured)

Reply #190312 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'd say that will end his first round chances. For someone like him, who would've been right on the bubble for first round selection, and especially when he didn't attend the pre draft camp, he would've needed to win teams over in his workouts.

I know Phoenix brought him in, and I guess they would have seen him as being a chance for their second round pick, so he would need to really impress teams if they had the same thoughts on him.

Reply #190323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he should've of been patient and waited till next year and focus on the boomers this way if he makes the team he'd have something else on his resume and if he plays real well, that'd be a bonus.

Reply #190326 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

This was the final year he could enter the draft though.

Reply #190327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's only 20...

Reply #190329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong. He's 21.

Reply #190406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754