cLaRkY
Years ago

UNC Trio pull out of NBA Draft

North Carolina sophomores Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington and junior Danny Green withdrew from the NBA draft Monday.

Head coach Roy Williams confirmed that the trio would return to school. The deadline to withdraw was 5 p.m. ET.

What do people think about this decision?
With those three heading back to UNC for next season, re-joining Tyler Hansbrough, does this make UNC the favourite to win it all next season?

Personally I think UNC will go deep next year, but I'm not a fan of the decision for Ty Lawson to go back (I was hoping Denver would pick him up with the #20 pick)....

Topic #16159 | Report this topic

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I forgot to add the link...

Here is the article on ESPN.com: Link

Reply #190261 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Good luck to the guys from UNC... it's about time some of these young guys thought a little more and developed their games at the lower levels. Beside a good year in school can only help thier draft positions.

Reply #190279 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

Unless they get hurt and never get drafted.... 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other!!!

Reply #190280 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

You just weigh it up don't you?
Your college years you are top dog.
Getting plenty of attention from the ladies and livin the high life. Risk it for a shot at the NBA that could perhaps wait a year... miss out and fade away one year too early... End up balling in china. ouch.
Or come to Aus and risk not getting paid the peanuts we offer...

Wise choice boys.

Reply #190284 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm not surprised in the slightest about the trio returning to school.

Lawsons stock was hurt a little after he went down with injury and a few people are questioning him after a run in with the law recently.

Also he's unlucky that this year is a strong year for guards. Bayless, Rose, Mayo, Gordon, Westbrook and Augustine. I put Lawson on par with Felton who went 5. Felton was the third best PG in the draft after Paul and Williams, but that year was light on for guards.

Same could be said for Ellington. The guards mentioned above are all better than him by a long shot. He was very up and down in the NBA Pre-Camp in Orlando. At best he was an very late first rounders or early second rounder. He's better of back at UNC and having another crack at it with Tyler Hansbrough and Lawson and improving his stock. Scouts are already aware of his shooting touch and mid range game (another Rip Hamilton but with less movement).

Green only put his name in to test the waters. He's said that from day one.

Next years draft is looking better for the guards. The mocks so far are all suggesting that it's going to a 'forwards' draft. The name to look out for next year is Ricky Rubio from Spain. One of the best passers of an alley-op I've ever seen along with feeding the post. I'll go out on a limb and say the Rubio is better than any point guard in this draft.

Reply #190291 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

How many juniors get drafted these days? Very few. Lawson and Ellington would want to improve out of sight this year to demand being picked ahead of any "upside" freshman and sophomores coming through.

Reply #190296 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

Quagmire, dont NBA players get treated like top dogs or score ladies either?

Reply #190317 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

agree with TR, i saw a doco on ricky rubio last year, where a journo followed him around spain for a week or so. he is a god over there, and i agree, probably the best point guard coming through.

didnt he make his professional debut in spain at like 14yrs old?

they showed him playing in the U16 european final against Russia where he nailed over 50pts (including a half court buzzer beater to force OT), 25 odd boards, over 10 assists and just shy of 10 steals.

i think he also lead the entire european tournament in points, boards, assists AND steals!!!

should be exciting to see how he ends up.

Reply #190324 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

So Rubio will be at the Olympics then? Will be very interesting to see how he goes against the NBA stars.

North Carolina definitely favourites for the titles one would feel.

Reply #190343 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Rubio's been mentioned a few times here, I stumbled across him a few years ago watching Spanish hoops on a Eurosports channel, he was just this skinny little kid playing solid minutes in the 2nd best league in the world.

He's in the Spanish squad for the Olympics even though he's only 17.

There's some intersting stuff on Wikipedia about him, in particular:

In August of 2006 Rubio led the Spanish national team to the FIBA Europe U16 Championship. During the tournament (excluding the final game), Rubio achieved two triple-doubles and one quadruple-double. In the 110-106 double overtime finale victory over Russia, Rubio scored 51 points (including a three-point buzzer-beater shot from mid court to force the first overtime), grabbed 24 rebounds, made 12 assists, and stole the ball seven times  a performance unprecedented in tournament history. Rubio also was named Most Valuable Player of the tournament after leading it in points, rebounds, assists and steals.

As of the end of the 2006-07 Euroleague regular season, he leads the Euroleague in steals by a large margin, averaging 3.45 steals per game, although playing only 18 minutes per game.

Reply #190349 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

B-fresh,
Only if they make the NBA... hence why maybe waiting a year is a good call.

Like i said, there really isn't a ton of opportunities out there to get a spot on a team.
Miss out, and you have gambled an awesome college experience for little return.

I am talking solely about fringe players here, stars need to strike while hot or risk losing their "potential" appeal...

Outside the top 15 picked, on average, how many guys are still in the pros 3 years down the track?

Reply #190361 | Report this post

DR  
Years ago

This is for one reason only - NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

UNC are recruiting some amazing kids, all mainly NC locals. The kids Roy has coming in for season 08/09 is gong to produce 1-2 National Championships over the next 4 years - Roy has them signing 2 year Minimum scholarships.

Reply #190420 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754