Quagmire
Years ago

Game 6 Predictions (eventual spoiler)

Sorry Celtics.

I think you will win in a blow-out.

Given my track history, this is not the prediction Celtic fans wanted to read.

Beantown- this is not an attempt at a reverse mocker,

I have visions of Ray Allen and streamers..
KG with his head on the trophy a-la Jordan...
Brian Scalabrine charging onto the floor and wrestling the game ball away from play-off MVP Pierce like Randy Brown on M.J...

Kobe will set a new record for shrugs during a press conference...
Odom will be smashing his bong tonight...with the gear he got from Phil Jax.....

Topic #16168 | Report this topic

dcanwade  
Years ago

the question is whether the NBA wants to extend it to Game 7 given the heat and scrutiny they are on ... I wouldn't discount it .. Stern is THAT arrogant !!!!

Reply #190365 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

LA by 7 today. Kobe to put up 36+.

Reply #190367 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If LAL get it today i reckon they will take G7 too

Reply #190368 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think the Celts will get it ... I think it will be a lock down affair and the Lakers will score less than 80.

Reply #190369 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

dcanwade; I agree that the refs COULD still be a factor..

They will keep the foul count close, but make an impact by putting fouls on key Celtics...

For example, 5 fouls spread across Laker bench and role players vs 5 on a key Celtic.

Look at game 5, the big three all had 5 and Ray Allen fouled out... since when does Ray Allen foul out???

Celtic fans get nervous coz you can expect KG to get whistled for a couple of 50/50's early and be seated for the middle half of the game...

Reply #190372 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Interesting side issue:

Would you believe me if I said KG has a higher ppg, FG% and FT% than Pierce over the playoffs??

Never would have guessed that. He just seems to go missing when it matters. Today (and/or game 7) will decide whether KG is remembered as a player to go missing when it mattered or as the guy who put all the pressure behind him and helped his team win the title when they needed him most.

Reply #190375 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Celtics to win it @ home 4-2.

Big 3 to go crazy @ home.

Go Celtics. Bring it back East

Reply #190378 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Ha ha I love the espn analysts picks of LA because they want to see the series go to 7 games.. lol. I think the Celtics get up at home. KG had a pretty average game in game 5 especially on the offensive end and I can't see that happening again. I think we will come out with a stronger desire to win, my main concern is we aren't too intense at the start that leads to early foul trouble. If anything else I'll place my faith with numerological theory, its the 17th over there... for title number 17.

Reply #190379 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

I used to watch the NBA because of the athletic talent of its players. When it became obvious to me that games were not being decided by the players I stopped watching. This is a common sense issue. Players complained BEFORE Donaghy was caught that outcomes were in fact being decided by officials. Stern has issued his rogue theory and acting alone theory. It does not hold water. Donaghy betted and fixed more than 100 games. If he was truly acting alone, then why did the FBI and not the NBA catch him? Would not his behavior have stuck out like crazy if that were true? Look at the mans allegations. When initially caught, the man has stuck to this story of the leaugue manipulating outcomes. Now he has given us specific series and games, especially one in which Gundy complained that an OFFICIAL specifically told him that Yao Ming was being targeted. Gundy was fined 6 figures. Nader called out the NBA about manipulating games. Look at right now. Fans predicted a manipulation that would lead to a Boston LA final. It happened. Phil Jackson complains about officiating, instead of being fined, his team goes to the line 34 times. It is obvious to me that it is scripted for the Lakers to win a minimum of 2 out of 3 at home, which will ultimately lead to a 6 or 7 game finals. Exactly what the ratings are calling for to enhance the NBA.

Reply #190382 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

I used to watch the NBA because of the athletic talent of its players. When it became obvious to me that games were not being decided by the players I stopped watching. This is a common sense issue. Players complained BEFORE Donaghy was caught that outcomes were in fact being decided by officials. Stern has issued his rogue theory and acting alone theory. It does not hold water. Donaghy betted and fixed more than 100 games. If he was truly acting alone, then why did the FBI and not the NBA catch him? Would not his behavior have stuck out like crazy if that were true? Look at the mans allegations. When initially caught, the man has stuck to this story of the leaugue manipulating outcomes. Now he has given us specific series and games, especially one in which Gundy complained that an OFFICIAL specifically told him that Yao Ming was being targeted. Gundy was fined 6 figures. Nader called out the NBA about manipulating games. Look at right now. Fans predicted a manipulation that would lead to a Boston LA final. It happened. Phil Jackson complains about officiating, instead of being fined, his team goes to the line 34 times. It is obvious to me that it is scripted for the Lakers to win a minimum of 2 out of 3 at home, which will ultimately lead to a 6 or 7 game finals. Exactly what the ratings are calling for to enhance the NBA.

Reply #190383 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

Reply #190384 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

sorry don't know why it was posted 3 time !!! anyway this finals is tainted ... it's too good to be true ..this dream matchup ... for the NBA and all those "trades". Detroit is a better team then Boston yet have not made the Finals since ... and loosing to the NBa poster child last year .. a poor Cavs team that had no business to be in the Finals .. sorry don't buy it... it's just feels way too scripted. you really think would allow this dream matchup to finish earler then 5 games ???

Reply #190385 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Rondo needs to slow it down.... He's playing way out of control early on.

C'mon KG....

Kobe is looking good again, but once again it's the first quarter. Needs to play a consistent 4 quarters for the Lakers to get this one.

Reply #190386 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I'm a little late, but I think the Lakers may win this with Kobe having a 40 point night. Phil will fire them up, as he can only do.

I don't have a preference, just a feeling.

Like the numerology theory TC.

Reply #190387 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Look out Lakers...... KG starting to warm up...

Reply #190388 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

KG finding his range. I look forward to the day that Rondo is confident enough to finish at the rim, it will take his play to another level.

Reply #190390 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

A bizarre pre game ritual and new Celtic tradition.. KG has the whole team eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I'm surprised Ray Allen would eat it, he's a strange cat....

Reply #190391 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I think I remember reading somewhere that Ray Allen has obsessive compulsive disorder, leads to him having a lot of pre-game rituals.

Reply #190392 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Correct TC. He has a set routine and some bizarre pre-game rituals, but hey, whatever works for him.

Why is it every time I see Turiaf I start thinking about the Predator....

Reply #190395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard NBA was a branch of WWE

Reply #190396 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

all you negative nancy's complaining about a contrived final series, I bet you still think wwe isnt staged

Reply #190397 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I heard in the last game Ray Allen will not shake hands with his right hand after he has warmed up - he will only tap your hand with his left hand.

Reply #190398 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Joey Crawford...... here we go...... Game 7....

They only ref in the NBA who has been suspended by the league and pleaded guilty to criminal charges and still gets a critical NBA Finals game.

Even after his **** up in Game 4 between the Spurs and the Lakers where he made that crucial no-call between Fisher and Barry he still gets a Finals game...

I so dislike Stern.........

Reply #190399 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

James Posey has been huge this whole series. Getting big steals, making 3's - giving awkward man-hugs ... does it all.

Reply #190400 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Both Posey and House have been great in this series.

The one person that has totally surprised me this series has been Doc Rivers. I thought that Phil was going to dominate the coaching battle in this series, but Doc has more than held his own. Phil over Doc was one of the reason I picked the Lakers in 6.

Reply #190402 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Celtics lead big @ half time. 58-35

Go Celtics

KG and the Celtics are hungry and want to finish it @ home tonight.

Bring it on.

If the Celtics win it, tonight I shall chest bump anyone @ The Dome wearing Celtics gear.

Reply #190408 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Fantastic end to the half, PP is playing brilliant and that and1 from KG was amazing. The Celtics ball movement and defense is destroying the Lakers. They just need to be able to handle a Lakers run when Kobe inevitably gets hot again.

Reply #190409 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Lakers really need some peanut butter and jelly at the break.

Reply #190413 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Kobe has no assists at the half....
Colour me surprised.

Reply #190417 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Why is that Quagmire? He is second to Rondo for assists in the Finals. About 6 per game!

Reply #190419 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I hope this doesn't jinx it ... it looks all but over!

I have changed my mind - Paul Pierce will get finals MVP ... his job on Kobe has been unbelievable.

Reply #190421 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Because under the pressure and the glare of an elimination final he will show his true colours.

He doesn't trust other players and wants to take over himself.

It's amazing how much of a tool he is.

Reply #190424 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

1 more quarter to go.

Can Boston hang on to win?

or will Kobe go ballastic and score all the points?

12 more minutes and we find out.

Reply #190425 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

PP MVP!
Awesome game thus far.
Defensive effort has been HUGE let's see as they say can they do it for 4qtrs. Either way this ones surely in the bag!

Reply #190426 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

PP is my pick for Finals MVP, anyone got a different opinion?

Reply #190427 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

PP by a mile...

Reply #190428 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Has to be Pierce.

Reply #190429 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Is this P.J Browns first title?

Good on him if it is, been a class player.

Who-ever is sitting next to Posey will be getting nervous... may wanna be sitting a few seats away when the siron sounds...

Reply #190430 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Looking at the stats, Ray Ray could be the only other chance (apart from Kobe obviously, but he ain't winning).
Before today 19pts 5reb 3ast.

So far 26, 4 and 2.

Rondo filling it up today, so far 21, 7, 8 and 6 steals.

Reply #190431 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How awesome is that goodbye chant by the crowd.....

Reply #190432 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Pierce for MVP even though I wish KG would get it. Maybe both can have it.

PJ Brown 1st believe I think. I'm still dirty on him for throwing Chris Childs upside down.

Go Celtics. It's all yours with minutes remaining.

Reply #190433 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Top 5 happiest people outside of the Celtic players or coaches...

5/ His Airness- enough of even hinting that Kobe
is fit to carry MJ's bags.

4/ Tim Legler- only ESPN analyst to pick the Celts.

3/ Beantown- Congrats to a long suffering Celts fan

2/ Shaq- Just try to wipe the smile of his face.

1/ Tie between Bill Simmons and Bill Simmons's Dad.

Reply #190434 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agreed TR, and the song that they started the quarter with(I think!), just some guitar work, classic song just escapes me at the moment.

Reply #190435 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Add me to that list Quagmire! I'll be at the dome tonight wearing a Celtics t-shirt with a massive grin plastered over my face :-)

Reply #190436 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

At least the Lakers can forget the Mother's Day Massacre now, this one has to be their worst loss now.

Reply #190437 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That KG and Bill Russell moment was great.... At the beginning of the season ESPN had an interview where KG and Russell got together one and one and Bill explained the whole Celtics tradition etc etc. Russell went onto say that he would give KG one of his rings if KG never got one. It was a awesome interview and still on my hard-drive...

Congrats to the Celtics. I'll now have to get my autographed PP and Garnett jerseys nameplates changed include 2008 NBA Championship...

Reply #190438 | Report this post

correction  
Years ago

MVP please? is someone watching?? tell me

Reply #190439 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

It was Pierce correction...

TR,what size is that interview?

Reply #190440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pierce doused Celtics coach Doc Rivers with red Gatorade. Owner Wyc Grousbeck, who named his group Banner 17 to leave no doubt about his goal, put an unlit cigar in his mouth -- a tribute to Red Auerbach, the patriarch who had a hand in the franchise's first 16 titles.

Garnett dropped to the parquet and kissed the leprechaun at center court, then found Hall of Famer Bill Russell for a long embrace.

"I got my own. I got my own," Garnett said. "I hope we made you proud."

"You sure did," Russell said.
From ESPN.

Reply #190441 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

TC: If I see you tonight I'll give you a chest bump and congratulations. I'll be wearing my Knicks cap tonight.

Any Celtics fans I'll chest bump

The title returns East once again

Go Celtics!

Reply #190442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lakers champions in 09

Reply #190443 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

DB, head to youtube....

Russell / KG - Part 1

a href="http://linky.com.au/35x9g" target="_blank">http://linky.com.au/35x9g

Russell / KG - Part 2

http://linky.com.au/2v15p

One of the most brilliant interviews/stories I've seen...

Reply #190444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lakers champions in 09

Reply #190446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so very happy, and most happy for pierce who has been devalued by the magority of the leagues fans for years.

Reply #190447 | Report this post

lakers b back  
Years ago

lakers champions in 09

Reply #190448 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Something happened with the above linky for Part 1.

Here it is:

http://linky.com.au/l8axc

Isaac or another mod, could you please merge fix this linky to the original post a few above...

Reply #190450 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Bynum will need to be healthy for the Lakers in 09 discreet.

Reply #190452 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Thanks a lot TR, will check it out later. I have seen parts of it, just awesome what I have seen.

Reply #190454 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Lakers 09?

Only if they trade Kobe for Carmello!!!!

Reply #190455 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

way to win by a blow out... rondo destroyed the lakers... is it just me or are the "role" players for the celtics putting up massive numbers in the winning games and not getting much notice except for powe and perkins on some occasions... next year boston vs new york in finals haha, imagine the rivalry in that, stern would be making that 7 games for sure lol

Reply #190458 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

This is FREAKIN SWEET!!!!

GO CELTICS!!!!

Now I just need the mighty HAWKS to win the AFL and my life is complete...

Reply #190459 | Report this post

see that's the problem with Laker fans, you got outplayed to the max (and Boston had an injured starter) and you can't even admit it. I cant see the C's losing a finals series in the next 3 years

Reply #190461 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

That's a big call ELG. They nearly blew a 24 point lead at home, had to come back from 24 down in LA (that should never had happened), were pushed to 7 by Atlanta, and the Cavs, both ordinary teams. Not exactly dominant except for today.

Allen has slowed, Garnett was inconsistent. Plenty of holes to exploit.

Had the Spurs beat LA, which they should have, this series would still be alive IMO.

Reply #190463 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think if LeBron get's some help I can see the Celtics losing.

Reply #190464 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

A lot of people on here still got giving the Celtics the credit they deserve, they played amazing D all series. The Lakers got off to flying starts in most games with fantastic shooting, but couldn't maintain it when the pressure was on.

The Celtic bench destroyed the Lakers bench in nearly every game. Radmanovic went missing for most of the series, Vujacic had one good game, & the rest had rare moments. Bostons bench, with Posey & House were sensational, whilst the rest all had some great moments. Boston killed them at both ends of the floor. Apart from Gasol, who really stood up for L.A on the defensive end?

Reply #190472 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Credit to the Celtics, but I can't agree that they are unbeatable for the next 3 years. If the Hornets can add a savvy veteran, they will be pretty scary. The Rockets are an injury free season from being very good (unlikely, but you never know) and the Jazz are getting better every year.

Never count out the Spurs. Big blow that Splitter isn't coming over. Also, can anyone explain why they traded Scola? He would have been huge for them this year

Reply #190477 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Bonz... I'm with you on this one, as a Celtics & a Hawks (AFL) supporter, this could be an amazing year for us!
In 1986 the Celtics won, Hawks won, & the 36ers won. So maybe, just maybe, the Sixers can bring it home too (although it'll be next year, but close enough)!!!

Reply #190479 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

Go u Celtics,title back where it belongs and how sweet destroying the L.A Fakers!

Reply #190493 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

when are people going to stop riding LeBron like a cheap 2 dollar whore... he isn't winning any ring except for maybe Jay Z's in the next 3-5 years... hes the little engine that could, but never will... Celtics will be a force for next 3-5 years, have great younger players making noise, the veterans will continue to play hard for atleast another 3 years, not to mention any free agent signings in the future, think we are looking at the new era of Celtics, wonder if they can show as much heart as Russell did in years past

Reply #190497 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Probably about 5 teams who could take it out over the next few years.

Jazz are a few savvy trades away from a championship; kirelinko and okur for tayshaun? add a diop type and a breakout year from almond or brewer and they'd be legit contenders.

New Orleans trade peja for an all round 2 gaurd - maybe a poor mans Roy plus a bell, battier, posey type and a bit more of a bench.

San Antoinio's big 3 + Bowen still have 2/3 good years. Thier role players didn't hit treys, if they did they could've easily went back to back. Expect some quality free agent signings with more athleticism.

With Bynum, Farmer, Vujacic, Ariza, Turiaf and Walton another year under thier belt they will be deadly for years to come. With Bynum around Gasol will slide into his role as a finesse player and not be relied on to bang. Bynum will able to get a seal at the block as opposed to a foot out which totally distorts the triangle and ruins the angles and spacing. Possibly trade Odom for Tayshaun? If not Odom will be far mor comfortable as the 4th option/X-factor, the 'if he's playing we'll they're unbeatble' type. If they can add defensive small forward or if Vujacic or Ariza learn how to deal with a pick that'll help.

There are several teams who could concievably contend based on offseason moves.

Philly could be up there if they get Brand and Posey/Battier/Bowen clone (every team needs one). Could compete with lakers with one of the best benches aswell Williams, Green and Young all possible future all stars with hopefully something from Carney.

Miami? Wade, Rose, Brand, Haslem + breakout year from Banks, Cook, Wright or Brown.

Portland? Depending on if whether or not Oden is good as advertised.

Reply #190504 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Btw does anyone know what is going on with Sun Yue, the lakers second round pick 2 years back? Is he coming over anytime soon?

Reply #190506 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

miami wont win anytime soon, thats foolish
portland without oden are still a young force which should make finals this year i would think
spurs will push deep into finals, but wont b major threats
hornets are the only team i see being a big threat in years to come with portland... both teams just need the smallest addition with some leadership and they will b battling it out for top spot

Reply #190509 | Report this post

This year, the big 3 get a pre season together, and another batch of free agents. i already call Boston for next year

As if Garnett wont go fitness crazy in the off season

And they did it all with an average coach!

Reply #190522 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

As a celtic fan this is a great day but i'm happy that pierce has been rewarded for his loyalty to the club. Its also a great story when you think he almost died a couple of years ago, its just a great feel good story all around. Imagine how happy davis most be he just picked up a ring in his first year!

Reply #190524 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Also PJ Brown and ALF Cassell in their last years...

Is anyone else (apart from TR) amazed how out coached Phil seemed to be, especially today?? I think at one stage he called 3 time outs in around 7 minutes..

Reply #190531 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

think phil didn't know what to do once his triangle wasn't working... is he just a one dimensional coach???
whats the deal with pierce nearly dieing?

Reply #190581 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

HAPPY DAYS all you Celtics fans out there!

Commiserations to Lakers fans too, though not too much, probably see you in the finals again next year!

Quagmire, you were quite prescient with your predictions today. Quite chuffed that I come in at no. 3 on your list too - is that the definitive list?

Sorry I didn't run into any of you guys for a well-executed chest bump at the game tonight. I got a high five from some bloke, but he wasn't wearing any Celtics gear.

So how good was Patty Mills tonight? Would it be wrong of me to kidnap CJ Bruton and refuse to give him back unless Goorjian promises to start Mills at the Olympics?

Reply #190582 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

As much as I am big Boston fan, I hear what guys like The Doctor, SVD and Mr Clutch are saying.

Cleveland were REALLY tough for Boston this year and only one good offensive player away from contending - if they could pull off Ilgauskas + extras for Jermaine O'Neal that could be scary.

If Atlanta can make a couple of good moves in the off season to give their roster more balance and depth they will be very good too.

Philly has some great talent too and I agree that a guy like Elton Brand could really make them good.

In the West, the Lakers are going to improve a lot with a healthy Bynum.

The Spurs will be thereabouts again if they can keep injuries to a minimum.

I think Portland could be a big mover too, if Oden is as good as expected. I could see them making a similar run to what the Hornets did this year.

I'd love to see the Hornets make the Finals, but I'm not sure they can go a lot further until they can upgrade on Stojakovic as a starter. He is just too old now and good teams will exploit him defensively.

Those commenting about Phil Jackson: I think he is still an excellent coach. He has proven he can take talented teams all the way time and again and you don't lose that. I think it just comes down his players. Apart from Kobe and Gasol, most of them just aren't very good, or are too inexperienced (or both).

I honestly think the Lakers overachieved in making the finals this year. There weren't a lot of good options open to Jackson because Boston had dominant matchup advantages in so many areas.

Boston dominated the paint, shutting down Gasol and Odom when Perkins and Garnett were in together and stopped Kobe from getting to the basket. They basically made the Lakers into a team of jump shooters and its hard to win anything like that, whether you're Phil Jackson or Dave Claxton!

Reply #190589 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

would say radmanovic is a bad player, or fisher for that matter either, and odom just had a bad series... they just need a more experienced bench with some more quality

I think Clippers are actually a team to keep an eye on this year. If they get Elton Brand back, which I think and hope they will. They should be able to pull a few big signings off in the offseason, and possibly some decent trades for once. If Brand signs back up and they get couple good signings, and the team doesn't get big injuries like last year, I think they will push into the finals.

Reply #190592 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Clippers would need their point guard Livingston to have a huge recovery from all the injuries he's suffered... showed signs of being a terrific player though...One day they may be good enough to be first round sweep material. At best.

Reply #190610 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Ricey, back to 2000 PP was stabbed 11 times in the face, neck and back. He had to undergo surgery for damage done to his lungs after being punctured along with the stab wounds.

The remarkable thing is that in just over a month he was back on the court.

A very lucky boy by all accounts......

Reply #190611 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

so thats what Dave Chappelle goes on about in his skit... now i get it

Reply #190718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:19 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754