Lakers set 2 records (spoilers)

Boston's 39-point win surpassed the NBA record for the biggest margin of victory in a championship clincher

No team had ever overcome more than a 15-point deficit after the first quarter, and Elias Sports Bureau said it was the largest comeback in the finals since 1971.

Topic #16172 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

To be fair ELG they beat their own record

"The Celtics surpassed their own mark for the biggest title-clinching blowout set in 1965 when they ripped the Lakers 129-96 to take the crown in five games."

Reply #190476 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From News.com.au, which featured the result on its front page:

Celtics coach Doc Rivers became the first black coach to win an NBA title since K.C. Jones guided Boston to the 1986 crown.

Reply #190478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

while i was watching game 6, i was thinking...mmm it'd be far more interesting to ask this question instead of any negatives that's going to arise:

"What did the Lakers do well?"

Reply #190480 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Their cheerleaders are pretty hot so someone is doing something right there.

I also thought that Vujajic's hair looked very nice in Game 3

Reply #190485 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Can the Lakers actually recover from this? They add Bynum next year but there will be some doubts. I wonder if the Zen master can get the right chemistry. Kobe seems like he is one tough cookie to coach.

Reply #190520 | Report this post

Banner17  
Years ago

Gasol's game & mental strength are as soft as butter, Lakers must trade with Bynum coming back.

Odom = over-rated. Or was he ever rated?

Radmanovic - Oh dear.

Reply #190530 | Report this post

Today was something different.

Jackson, who has always managed to build a strong team around a superstar and always appeared self possed and confident today appeared seriously unhappy with Kobe's performance.

For a coach, who used to play D agressively it must have been painfull to watch his team's total lack of D.

Will this be the last of Jackson or will it be the last time we see Kobe in Lakers colours ?

Reply #190532 | Report this post

Gasol was out of position, hes not soft

Reply #190539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let's not let one series put everything on doubt...kobe's gonna stay where else he'd go? chicago? Gasol go back playing at 4 will be hard matched against most teams. i'm firm believer bynum wouldn't drop what he left, he's too much a hard worker for that. kobe's got nothing to be unhappy about, lakers went from first round exits or not even expected to enter playoffs to western conference champ. These are all pretty remarkable also with the young guys that shows to be improving each offseason, don't see why there's so many doubts.

odom'd be a funny one, perhaps start ariza and have odom come off as 6th man, that'd work well too. phil's signed extension so he'll be back

Reply #190547 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

gasol at memphis early days played as a small forward.he was drafted as a small forward too.he is no centre. fisher kobe odom gasol bynum next year.

Reply #190549 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, Lakers should be good again next year with Bynum back. I will be interested to see if the Lakers try to shop Odom to see what they get after his performance in the Finals. They may not get enough to make him worth trading though.

I think they need at least one more quality bench guy as well. The Celtics depth with Posey, House and PJ Brown really exposed their inexperience.

Celtics could do with a couple of tweaks too, primarily in the backup PG department but another tall body would come in handy for those occasions when Perkins gets in foul trouble. Nathan Jawai anyone?!?! :)

Reply #190577 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Interesting point about Doc being the first black coach to win a championship since KC Jones, Isaac.

I hadn't even thought about that, but I guess its right... Riley, Daly, Jackson, Rudy T, Pop, and Larry Brown

Awhile back when Doc was taking a lot of heat, Danny Ainge did an interview in the media where he stood by Rivers. He said that he chose him for the long term because he thought he was a great leader and communicator, and that he intended for him to grow with the team and be the core of a new Celtics dynasty.

I've really liked the way Ainge has approached his job at the Celtics and its starting to look like he made a pretty good choice in Rivers.

Reply #190579 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I remember hearing an interview where a coach talked about the stereotyping of head coaches.

He said that if a white coach wins he is thought of as intelligent, a good tactician, and if a black coach wins they are though of as great motivators, able to produce effort from players.

Its a cruel an uneducated stereotype that has haunted many quality basketball coaches.

Reply #190636 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

How about Kobe for the #1 pick and Tyrus Thomas?

Reply #190644 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Has anyone checked to see if Fezlington and Kobe-for-MVP are still alive and haven't done themselves in yet??????

Reply #190652 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

the fact that lakers where strong favorites before the series, and that they still have one of the youngest and deepest squads around bodes well for the future. sure, these finals have exposed weaknesses, but surely its not time to revamp the roster. add bynum and another year for the bench to mature, id say lakers should be pretty happy the way there squad looks for next season.

Reply #190865 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

theres not much really in the nba to say next season you got a young and deep squad.they all want to start ans that all want money.if posey re signs will boston boston will go back to back.

Reply #190878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754