beaniebear
Years ago

What makes a good junior coach?

I apologise if this has been done before, but I have been reading the National's 18's and 16's thread and it got me wondering; firstly, what traits do we look for in a good junior coach, and secondly, how can the basketball community of SA attract these people?

I'm sure the traits will be quickly rattled off (along with some interesting comments about current and past coaches), but I'm interested to hear comments on how to attract these people.

Thoughts??

Topic #16201 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Anybody who can spell "what"!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #190845 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Was waiting for that:)

Reply #190847 | Report this post

Yup  
Years ago

Anyone who owns a knife proof back vest.

Reply #190848 | Report this post

GoodQuotes  
Years ago

The ones that use the following lines:

The final score is the only statistic that matters.

They outplayed us in every phase (facet) of the game.

They wanted it more than we did.

We had our chances but we let them slip away.

We came up a little short.

We don't care about moral victories.

They caught us on an off night.

It just wasn't meant to be.

Turnovers killed us.

They out-hustled us.

They out-muscled us.

They out-coached us.

We got a wake-up call.

We weren't mentally prepared.

We came out flat.

We beat ourselves.

We only have to look in the mirror.

They ate our lunch.

They've had our number all season.

They own us.

This is a bitter pill to swallow.

It's going to be a long plane ride home.

I take full responsibility for this loss.

We didn't get the job done.

Not to take away anything from Denver, but we didn't play like we're capable of playing.

My hat's off to them.

I tip my hat to them.

You've got to hand it to them.

Give them all the credit.

The best team won today.

He always has his team ready to play.

We can still hold our heads high.

These guys have nothing to be ashamed of.

They just made the big plays and we didn't.

They stepped up and made the plays.

We didn't match their intensity.

We didn't maintain the intensity for the entire 60 minutes.

We lost our focus.

I don't want to point fingers.

There were too many defensive lapses.

Our defense was a non-factor.

Our defense didn't show up today.

We dug ourselves a deep hole.

We shot ourselves in the foot.

The ball just didn't bounce our way.

We didn't get the big breaks today.

We'll just have to put this loss behind us.

I'm really proud of our guys.

It's been a great ride.

Ummmm shall we post here what makes good players or better yet what makes a good parent? Speak to different people and you will get different answers.

The best coach is the one in a club that knows how to objectively measure the improvement they get from their players. The best coaches are the ones in those clubs that get the most improvement. How do you analyse, how do you quantify that, in my 20+ yrs of playing and coaching basketball at the elite level, I am yet to figure out. You can't quantify it subjectively. However, I am interested in reading everyone's attempts here.

Reply #190849 | Report this post

GoodQuotes  
Years ago

Oh and bring on those cliches about coaches/players - good and bad. They mean nothing but they are a great laugh

Reply #190850 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

you forgot

yeah, nah.....

Reply #190855 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There are 3 rules in managing people......

Rule #1: Maintain or enhance self-esteem.
"WOW, that last board was great!"

Kids play ball because it gives them a sense of achievement and belonging. If a coach cannot say soemthing positive about the player to lift them and make them feel good about it, then they are not a coach.

Rule #2: Ask for help in solving the problem rather than bark orderd.
"Boys/girls, how can we shut down their #21?"

When kids are involved in decision making and planning, they understand the plan better and have more buy-in.

Rule #3: Listen and respond with empathy

As an aside, for those who supervise people at work, these 3 rules work REALLY well in managing (in)subordinants.

Reply #190859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warm & fuzzie elite basketball is alive and well.
I am sure Jack Toft u were talking about how to coach social ball/school ball.If we are asking the juniors how to coach than we are seriouly in trouble within this state
Can anyone imagine gooj asking for imput

Reply #190866 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Watch how Scott Butler, Jarrod Clarke and Paul Rigoni go about it - you will see what a good coach is then, keep up the good work boys !!!!!!

Reply #190870 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon, You don't ask them to coach themselves, you make them part of the solution by involving them. Consultation does not mean consensus. It is called Pysch 101.

Another style model to be aware of is "situational leadership". The coach's style varies according to the skill level of the team, and the strength of group "bonding". Read about it. Hershey and Blanchard developed it.

Reply #190873 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm more into transformational leadership...it's the way of the future.
Google it...

Reply #190880 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

The best ever piece on cliches is here.

Reply #190883 | Report this post

how many wins they get

Reply #190901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How well you get on with neil.

Reply #190905 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How many players you can get to hate you!!

Reply #190917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Toft!

Reply #190955 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

OR.....how many you can get to like you......lol

Reply #190959 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Whoever provides the best lollies........

Reply #190962 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

I saw a great illustration of bad coaching Sunday morning, as this coaches team was up by 45 late in the game he continued to yell and scream at his players. Well congratulations you won the game and your team may even win the season, but I wonder for 10 year olds does winning over ride the feeling of being humiliated???? I also wonder where these kids will be in a couple of years??

Reply #191034 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

FOOTY!

Reply #191036 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Or, BALLET....

Reply #191037 | Report this post

Yup  
Years ago

Toughen up kids!

Reply #191047 | Report this post

Kotter  
Years ago

I think all coaches should come from a school teaching background, as we are professionally trained on how best to communicate and work with children!!!!!!!

Reply #191062 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Is that you, Matt Ryan??????

Reply #191063 | Report this post

Will-i-am  
Years ago

Coaching and teaching are not even close to the same thing at the elite level.

Teachers live in la-la land where success isn't used as an indicator.

How would teachers feel is there pay and job was on the line is their students under-achieved?

Name me a teacher who has produced world classed students like some programs produce worl class players!

Reply #191078 | Report this post

Yup  
Years ago

...and they would probably have missed this weekends games due to strike action.

Reply #191079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Very short-sighted and simplistic, Will-i-am.

Reply #191082 | Report this post

remains anon...  
Years ago

I must admitt I saw a Div one under 16 boys coach on friday night scream and basically abuse his players and I was quite shocked. As a junior coach myself who coaches an age group older than under 16's I wouldn't even consider abusing my players let alone kids who are 14 or 15 years of age. Are some coaches out there to better there coaching career first rather than educate kids on the game? Are they coaching the "win at all costs" theme to help themselves???

Reply #191088 | Report this post

Vinnie Barbarina  
Years ago

What about parents that coach there children just so they can play in a Div that they definatly should not be in eg: Dad coaches Div 1 but child only Div 2 or 3 standed and these parents seem to think their child is the best player therefore plays most of a game. Is this a good junior coach?????

Reply #191130 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

remains anon... I wonder wether most clubs are that short of coaches that they have to tollerate these boofheads that get off on trying to relive their childhood through their players, rather than p*ss them of before we lose more kids to other sports.

Reply #191151 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Skyhooked and remains anon, I do believe some coaches are more into their own ego than teaching players. But is there a way to weed them out and get coaches who want to help the players involved? I'm sure some clubs take what they can get, esp in lower divisions, otherwise there is no team, no opportunity for late bloomers and of course, less fees for the club.

Reply #191155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definately not this person!!! Saw Shane Heal on the weekend coaching his daughter's under 14 team. Witnessed him first hand put down a girl from the opposition (she heard him too) - just bagging her out for her appearance and where she lived. Later in the day he made a snide remark to another twelve year old girl as she was coming off the court - causing her to cry and refuse to go back on the court. Pathetic! He is an over rated has been, trying desperately to hold on to his youth with that crap bleach blond hair and immitation diamond stud earings - who does he think he's kidding. His ego is obviously far greater than his talent.

Reply #191231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754