Oldschool
Years ago

Cortez and Gibson Signed

http://www.southdragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=75264

Ahh i can hear the championship coming to Melb...But not back to Tigers....

Team looks like this

PG: Gibson /
SG: Cortez / Herbert
SF: Ebi??? / Ingles
PF: Worthinton / Vukona
C: Burston / Horvath

Salary Cap

Wortho 10
Cortez 9
Gibson 8/5 (Don't know if he gets internal due to Bullets situation)
Ingles 1
Horvath 10
Vukona 8
Herbert 1

Points Left 15/18 depending on Gibson situation

Interesting with 15 left, enough room to sign another import Ebi???? and benchies

But if Gibson gets 18 then we would have more room to make a better deeper team

Topic #16222 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good team, but dont know about Championship.....I can see a few weaknesses in there!! I'd still be putting my money on the Tigers, even though I hate them - clearly the best side IMO!

Reply #191053 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Beat me.....Isaac, please remove my post.

THIS is a HUGE surprise to me.

Reply #191054 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

what happens when Joe goes ex first contract and becomes a 8/9/10 pointer yet everyone else is signed?

does he have to then sign elsewhere?

seems unfair that that could happen as the goons are the ones wo took the chance with him and they could be forced to move him depending on who they have signed at the time.

need for the Larry Bird rule to be implemented if this is that case i reckon

Reply #191055 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Can't they just re-up his existing contract with an NBA out clause, keeping his points rating but giving him an out if the chance comes along?

This points stuff gives me a headache.

Reply #191056 | Report this post

Oldschool  
Years ago

Im not sure....But as Jingles stated he wants one last crack at draft in 09

Would have made it now that half of first round has gone back to college leaving him and jawai more than likely to be picked up

Reply #191059 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Dicko, surely that would be signing a new contract. But they would get 2 points off of his external rating as a returning player.

Reply #191067 | Report this post

ETrain  
Years ago

Dragons also signed Jason Smith who is injured at the moment- Does anyone know if injured players points count against the cap?

Also I wouldn't sign Ere for their final roster spot. They need to get another big man as all of their forwards are pretty small at 6'6"

Reply #191086 | Report this post

Oldschool  
Years ago

His contract runs out next year

Reply #191087 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

Pretty sure they will grab Simon Conn for that last nig man spot.

Reply #191092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Smith was signed but failed a physical/medical (that reported shoulder injury you'd assume) - could mean they still have that spot free.

Reply #191097 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Conn's been training with the squad apparently, so wouldn't surprise me there.

Still hearing that Ebi is going to be there, but it's certainly gone quiet.

Also expect Sedale Threatt Junior as a dev player, I believe.

Reply #191098 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

typical another gorj team cheating the salary cap to win a championship... dragons better watch themselves they may be next on the chopping block. Gorj doesnt have a great record for clubs surviving once he coaches them

Reply #191101 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I would say now that the Kings are gone he has a 100% record DrB

Reply #191118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

simon been training with them but won't get signed (almost 100% sure about that) he just using it as preparation for international plays. sedale can't be dp.ebi should still be heading to the dragons. everything gone quiet because of the league has gone weird there's too many uncertainties and situations that's unclear of, eg. will nbl increase or decrease point system after kings and maybe bullets are gone? i do hope sedale gets signed but everything's just weird in aus basketball now (6 national players without a job?!?!).
dragons don't need another big man, they have enough as it is (import caliber but count as local)! it's a funny one in goorijian's streak getting clubs bankrupt, he's probably the best coach i've seen around the country (he's got a truely nba styled workouts), his team works harder than others, but not sure how his clubs just keep cursed.:-)

Reply #191161 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Considering the lineup; as DRB said, another bought title in the NBL.

The Dragons have no excuse not to win the title this year. I'll be laughing if they repeat an 07'08' Kings and die in the arse in at the end.

Wouldn't surprise me actually.

The funny part is that getting Ere for this lineup is basically overkilling the side. Shows how half-arsed the screening of team trades and salary cap monitoring has got in the NBL over the past decade.

Reply #191171 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

How have we cheated salary cap?
We are still under the points cap

I dont know the $$$ value of each player so i cant comment on how that is being viewed

I think the reason that the last two teams he has coached Titans and Kings went bust is they were poorly run management wise

Why would you continue trading when you are insolvent...How is Gorj responsible for that?

Lets just wait and see

Dragons 08/09

Reply #191273 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Abslout joke. the salary cap for goorjian coached teams, mean nothing. this certianly goes back to the east side magic, titans , kings and now dragons.

Reply #191359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's hardly Goorjian-specific! A good number of teams would've been spending more than Sydney last year.

Reply #191367 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Abslout joke. the salary cap for goorjian coached teams, mean nothing. this certianly goes back to the east side magic, titans , kings and now dragons. "

Was he coaching the 6ers when they became the ONLY team to ever actually get officially caught for cheating the cap? Did he coach last years Tigers? Breakers? How about recent Bullets teams? Taipans? Or the Kings in the 90's?

How many teams do you think are REALLY under the cap each season?

I don't KNOW if they're over (I strongly suspect that they are) but they're hardly on their own now are they?

And Goorjian certainly can't be blamed for ALL of them.

Goorjian runs an expensive program. Cowan is well aware of that. If he choses to hire Goorjian, he plans to increase revenue somehow. Hope he does, it will be good for the league as a whole to have more strong teams.

If he doesn't succeed and the team goes under, how can anyone blame Goorjian? It's Cowan that made the decision to bring him here.

Reply #191386 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754