Cat 15
Years ago

Rumour: Kings back in!

Just heard from very good source the Kings are back in for next seasons NBL.
No idea who has ownership or how it all will work, but that's what I've heard!

Topic #16239 | Report this topic

Mantis  
Years ago

By "next season" do you mean the one coming up this September - which I would doubt, to put it mildly, as the Kings' players have all signed elsewhere for this season - or the one starting next *year* (which was always the NBL's plan and thus hardly news)??

Reply #191265 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

No I mean this season. I heard from a coach at another team that they were trying to sign a youngster that was on Sydney's books, but they will be playing this season and thus he will be staying in Sydney.

Reply #191267 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I thought I heard a potential hint of the Kings being saved too on ABC Radio.

They are trying to find someone to wipe the debts and take over the team.

Slim chance it'll happen this season though.

Reply #191271 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Harmison is sounding upbeat about both Brisbane and Sydney.

Reply #191272 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

I think that what will have happened is that the Kings will have folded. Hence their debts are essentially wiped from the fanchise and must be chased through the owner. A new franchise (incidentally also called the Kings) is then started a little while later. The new owner(s) then don't have to cover the previous debts.
Not exactly nice, but might have worked.
Who the hell they will have to play is anyone's guess!
I imagine that in negotiating with new owners, not covering previous debts will have been one of the major sticking points.

Reply #191278 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Brisbane are back, pending NBL approval (and Money isnt the issue).

Reply #191292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah Eddy has set up a new company called DEF and is buying another title

Reply #191321 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

yeah Eddy has set up a new company called DEF and is buying another title

Reply #191322 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Eddy could fund the team with the 11% ABC rate increase?

Mantis, Sydney still have some players they might be able to retain - Kendall, Hinder, Mottram, Crosswhite, Carter, Tovey. Get Smith back, add two good imports (rather than benchies like last year) and they could win a few.

Reply #191369 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Harmison is sounding upbeat about both Brisbane and Sydney."

Harmison would sound upbeat if his house was burning down.

Reply #191388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sure we don't have a roof, and everyone would prefer it if we had walls, but the foundation is there and that is most important thing and puts us in a brilliant position for moving forward."

Reply #191397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell do the Kings get potentially relaunched within a week of going under with all their problems all season long last year, and the Bullets haven't, but are pretty much still up shit creek, despite what Chuck says?
All this talk about them on the home stretch really is f***ing news to the management staff!!!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23919090-23769,00.html

Reply #191489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754