NPBHS
Years ago

Tall Blacks vs Boomers

This series of 2 games between the TB'S and Boomers, Is going to bad for us(i am a kiwi), but good for the aussies.
The Tall Blacks have so much inexperience, opting to choose Corey Webster, at just 19 years of age. However, i must say it is good to see some young talent in there.
But then you also have Alex Pledger, another kiwi, who just came from the College Ball scene and avg. some dissappointing stats. considering he is 7"1 tall!

The TB'S have a solid starting 5, but no bench. Also they are seriosuly depleted among bigs. Going to have their work cut out against Anderson,Bogut etc.
IT'S NOT LOOKING TO PRETTY. Afraid to say, this might be a 40-point thrashing
Wouldn't be suprised if that was the case. Whats your thoughts??

Topic #16247 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Hey don't forget the Aussies have Patty Mills and possibly AJ Ogilvy fresh from their first year of college ball as well.
Bogut, Andersen and Neilson will dominate inside against the Kiwis. Could get ugly, however like all things between our two countries, each team lifts for the occasion.

Reply #191339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ still have some decent players players:

Bradshaw
Boucher
Penney
Pero

but nowhere near the talent and depth of Australia.

Reply #191355 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just clarified the following:

"Still in contention for Beijing but not contesting the 2008 Ramsay Shield are Andrew Bogut (Milwaukee Bucks, USA), David Andersen (CSKA Moscow, Russia), Matthew Nielsen (Lietuvos Rytas, Lithuania) and Nathan Jawai (Cairns Taipans)."

Even so, I still see the Aussies winning by 15+, as Penney is not playiong for the TB's.

Reply #191380 | Report this post

unlvrebelx  
Years ago

Ogilvy is the real deal. He's turned Vanderbilt into a competitive basketball team. Vanderbilt does not have a strong tradition of college hoops, but Ogilvy, as a true freshman in the program, averaged 17 pts and lead the team to a berth in the final tournament....which is something Vanderbilt usually doesn't make.

Ogilvy ultimately chose Vanderbilt over my school, UNLV....he chose between the two schools...which is funny. Vanderbilt is one of the top schools (education wise), UNLV is great basketball school, but not regarded highly as far as education. It was odd selecting between the two....he obviously has a good head on his shoulders choosing Vanderbilt...not putting all his eggs in the basketball basket.

He's an amazing player though....probably be the best Aussie in many years, and I love Bogut's game (he not used right in the NBA, bad fit with Milwaukee).

Reply #191407 | Report this post

Trevor Anderson  
Years ago

Ogilvy was the dominant big in the Canberra Olympic tryouts and by a large margin too.

Reply #191449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did not look that good against Iran when he played looked, very soft for his size, looked like a smaller version of Wade Haliwell.

Reply #191478 | Report this post

unlvrebelx  
Years ago

"He did not look that good against Iran when he played looked, very soft for his size, looked like a smaller version of Wade Haliwell."

Well, he plays in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in the states. The SEC is arguably the best collegiate basketball conference, and definitely the most athletic conference (but not the most physical)....Ogilvy was freshman of the year in the conference, and I believe first team all conference (possibly 2nd team)....those accolades are nothing to sneeze at as the SEC puts the most players in the NBA.

Reply #191525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754