kad
Years ago

Bullets say goodbye

http://bullets.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=75338

Sorry, but this needed a new thread.

Topic #16307 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

very sad day for Basketball. the images of Bruton, Leroy, Sengstock, Andre Moore, the NBL's first NBA calibre import Winston Crite plus many man more are for now lost.

I am sure it is a sad day for EDDY too as you could bet 2 years ago he would never have thought it would be all over so quickly.

Does anyone else find it funny that Mick Hill is the featured bullets player on the web site?

Reply #192097 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The end of the end or just the end of Eddy's involvement? e.g., could the NBL still arrange something today for review by tonight or tomorrow or whenever that meeting is?

Sounds like the Kings will be back, including some fans owning a 7.5% stake in the club.

Update: From a media release from the NBL:

NBL interim Chief Executive Officer Chuck Harmison said that the move meant that the Brisbane Bullets would not be competing in season 2008/09.

"The NBL is very disappointed that the Bullets license has been unable to be transferred to a new ownership group," said Harmison. "There had been positive signs in recent weeks that the Bullets would be able to find a new owner, but they simply could not deliver the financial guarantees required by the League for a license transfer."

"Eddy duly informed us this morning that he will therefore be handing back the Bullets license immediately. Given how close we are now to the start of the new NBL campaign in September, there is now no realistic possibility that the Bullets will be part of season 2008/09."

Reply #192098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no Kent- we don't find it funny.
You nobs really need to get over Mick Hill- your obsession over him is borderline childish and downright f.ing stupid!
Get a life!
Perhaps you secretly love him- that's why you crap on about him and think about him so much.

Reply #192101 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

This is bad news. I guess it is at least somewhat of a consolation that they didn't fold due to Kings type circumstances, although, the fact that no one else could be found to take over is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Reply #192103 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Obviously Mick is visiting Hoops SA since he took his site offline.......

Reply #192104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James, the Bullets are the only Qld sporting team to not be provided with any government funding whatsoever.
That in itself, should tell you a bit about the lack of respect towards the team in that sense, yet when they do well, state based government figures think they're great- they're just not prepared to help when it's needed.

Reply #192107 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Most of the reasoning behind both the Kings and Bullets leaving can be traced right back to the governing body of the league and their below par promotional attempts at getting the league noticed.

Had the league been better promoted, financial and licensing issues would have never occured in the first place.

Hope the NBL commission takes note of this and realises the entire problem with both clubs falls directly on them.

Reply #192108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick wouldn't get out of bed to visit this bitchy joint so don't flatter yourselves.

Reply #192109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Eddy also own the Dome in Adelaide?
How does this affect you guys if at all?
Is the Dome on the market?

Reply #192113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question, because it's pretty clear Eddy's priorities are not with basketball over the last 5 months when the hedge fund issues started to come to the fore.
Is Eddy still going to be financially involved in the NBL in any way?
If not, I think we'll get one more year out of the NBl before even they admit that it's time to torch it and start again.
I bet there are some teams out there for whom this could push towards the edge after the amount of propping up Eddy has done.

Reply #192117 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

ANON Yes the dome and the sixers are on the market and have been for some time now.

Marty i think it is more a case of bad luck from Brisbane, the credit crunch does not happen and Eddy is fine, it did and he is not.

That does not mean the league do anywhere near what they should with promoation. Hell the Bullets have been dead all day and there is not a word of it on the nbl website thus far.

Kings however are another story, lunatics running the asylum is never a good sitiuation. Plus i have heard stories that have Goorjian suppliments bill only for the team at over $40,000 per year.

re Mick Hill my point was that he was the only player left in town so of course he was going to be that guy. Doesn't change my opinion of him that he is a little bitch.

Reply #192123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mick wouldn't get out of bed to visit this bitchy joint so don't flatter yourselves."

until he gets another job why would he get out of bed at all?

Reply #192124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Vanderjagt was still hanging on too, seeing that his partner is a Firebird and he moved down here to be with her.
This has really screwed a lot of people's livelihoods up!
What is the prognosis for Adelaide and the Dome then, thinking ahead now that the announcement has been made and financially affects you guys with the Eddy connection?

Reply #192125 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Agree Anon and BigMarty a sad day for NBl . Blaming big spenders like Eddy etc is not the reason NBL in trouble in fact should be thanking Eddy for his input into Bullets , Sixers and NBL as he loved our game and supported it in all ways.
It is the NBL board with their pitiful management , marketing and direction that has seen our comp. in trouble all over Aust. They must do something positive now to get quality owners and sponsors involved again. Hopefully KIngs will survive to provide a game for good plyrs left in cold but provide somthing positive to what has been terrible period for NBL comp. A positive is that all teams look to have good equal rosters apart from Melb. teams that have seem to be able to manipulate the salary and points cap rules

Reply #192136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTM, I don't think you can hold Eddy blameless. There would be a buyer if it was a profitable (or, at least, closer to profitable) venture rather than a hobby for a rich man with money to burn.

Reasonable spending and getting out to schools and junior clubs would've worked towards that.

The loss of the "rich uncle" usually needs another to replace them. If the business wasn't such a black hole, then the opportunities to replace the previous owner wouldn't be so few.

Reply #192139 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst I accept your views on Groves I dont think too many owners are going to buy a NBL club to make good money. until we market it correctly and start getting greater numbers to games etc and board etc provide real direction we will struggle to keep Quality dollars in the NBL in any form is my belief.
Question without having answers how much has Sixers put into visiting schools etc apart from Bretts clinics. If poor will that change for better with Scotty as coach. Another question is there a real chance we could lose the Dome as our stadium if Eddy cant sell it to use as a stadium and firesales it to a church group

Reply #192159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On that topic, the clubs need to up their school-type promotions, that shouldn't just be a directive from the league. And that decision comes not from the coach but the owner/staff - it's just a bit of an ask getting players out to do significantly more when they already have an established contract.

Clubs going under doesn't help get a TV deal and without it the league won't have the money for a significant marketing campaign.

Rough thing is that Melbourne, with their supposed profit, do very little marketing.

Reply #192162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, the Tigers only turn that profit essentially because of the building they are in and the marketing they don't do. They are a zero growth club in any other terms. Their crowds aren't good (while no better or worse then the league average, they're still not good, and certainly not growing) and the profit they have made is actually miniscule (perhaps even non-existent when real player salaries are factored in). They are a good example of how to keep a very small scale suburban club afloat, perhaps a good place to look to if the league is to move to a scaled down suburban focus, but they are doing absolutely nothing to push the game or league forwards.

Reply #192168 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

Any one know of the new direction the league will be taking in 2009/10? I read that less teams was one of the options, well two have already gone, what next? Wheres the frank lowy of aussie basketball? As a kings fan im not making the trek out west and joining the westies and i doubt brisbaners will be goin to the gold coast either. How can Australia's 3rd biggest city not have a team, how do these things happen?

Reply #192170 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, that was exactly my point. They're usually the poster-club for success yet the profit is likely not even real (masked by shared costs with Seamus' business and high player payments) and supposedly do little visible marketing in Melbourne.

Better than going out of business, but not quite working the league towards where it needs to be.

Reply #192174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Curtley...

Could it be that too many 'fans' wont make the trek out west, or drive down the road to the Coast?

Its quite amazing how so many are so ready to criticise and ask "where is our saviour" but at the same time do nothing to help themselves. Surely if you were a fan of the game and wanted to see it succeed you would look to 'head out West' and go to some Pigs games?

Reply #192175 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, you could be talking about a 3-4 hour round trip to get to a basketball game for a team you don't support. Would you do it?

Reply #192177 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

XY - its not a 3 - 4 hour trip to get to the coast from Brissy (Im sure Sydney is worse however)

Before the Blaze existed I used to go into Brissy a few times each season to catch a game and thats about an hour depending on traffic each way - plus diddling around in teh car park etc etc.

Agreed its not the easist thing to do for everybody and Curtley has probably done his bit over the years but to say "Im not prepared to go to see this Pigs play" closely followed by "how do these things happen" just seems a bit wierd

Reply #192183 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Come and talk to me when you have to travel over 400km to watch a game a NBL basketball game. Last season I traveled to Woollongong and Sydney to watch a game. Sydney is a near 600km round trip for me. I went firstly to watch Adelaide (the team I support), but secondly I went to watch a game of NBL basketball. I have also gone to Sydney to watch other games which don't involve Adelaide. Why??? Who really knows, maybe it was boredom, maybe it was the sake of wanting to get out of Canberra but after a while you do get sick of watching SEABL and need something more.

If you are a supporter of basketball you'll make the road trip to watch the best in Australia play.

Brisbane to the Gold Coast is just over an hours trip. Not much further then doing an Murray Bridge to Adelaide run.

Reply #192184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true.
Brissy to GC is 35 mins, but as previously posted, it has nothing to do with distance.
Brisbane-ites won't contribute to the financial coffers of a rival club- Bris and GC could be playing ping pong and there would still be a fierce rivalry.
Who'd pay to see a team they don't support- as if!
That's just going to be construed by the NBL as further justification that we don't need these extra teams and the current ones are doing just fine.
I don't want to contribute to creating an inaccurate picture

Reply #192193 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Statman, the last time I drove Brisbane to GC it was when they were building the freeway - It was about 25-30kms at 40kmph. Very slow going! Plus, I was travelling from Redcliffe, which added to the trip. It might have coloured my view a bit.

TR, there are some people (obviously you included) who will do anything to get to a game (I am sure I would too if I were stuck in Canberra!). I guess I get sick of people who throw around the 'you're not a true fan' tag everytime someone complains about being significantly inconvenienced.

I like AFL, but if the Crows folded I would NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, suddenly start supporting the Power. It just wouldn't happen for me, or for many very reasonable, passionate and committed fans of the sport.

Reply #192195 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hell, I'd support Collingwood before Port Adelaide.

It's an interesting question XY.

If the 36ers folded who would you end up supporting???

Would it be another NBL team???

or

a local ABL team???

or

would you just divert your attention to another sport????

Reply #192197 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'He's keeping his interest in the dome ' on ch9 news.

Reply #192212 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

XY - Im not trying to say who people have to support...more Im saying go along and support the sport. In your Crows example sure I couldnt expect you to start up following the Power - But surely you would go along to some games and support the opposition. If you dont then your the one missing out on seeing a live game of footy :)

as for coming from Redcliffe when the freeway was being built...yeah you would have been quicker going to Cairns :)

and Anonymous - I live on the Gold Coast - and work in Brissy so travel there at least 5 times a week, Im interested in how you get between the 2 in 35 minutes and follow the speed limit? (in either direction and with or without peak hour?)

Reply #192214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the Sth East freeway?
If you're travelling on the M1 in core peak hours you won't be doing it in anywhere near that time.
6 lanes tends to help.

Reply #192217 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

TR and Statman, how many Power supporters have a passion for the Crows and vice versa? I doubt they would be supporting the opposite side if one collapsed. Its not about a passion for basketball, its about a passion for the team you support. How can you argue that Brisbane and Sydney supporters should travel west or to the Gold Coast. The road trip is irrelevant.

Reply #192221 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I just think of Simon Kerle...the old boos that never died.

Reply #192229 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

EC

It is what ever the supporter desires. I love my Basketball, whoever is playing. I have travelled the 46.25 minute trip from Brisbane to the Gold Coast to see Blaze play WSR and I don't support either. I went to The Cage in Melbourne to see Dragons vs Tigers.

Brisbane to Gold Coast 35 minutes ppfffffft!

Reply #192237 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Statman, I have in fact, out of an abundance of opportunity, been to more Port games (to support the opposition) than Crows games, as everyone keeps trying to give away the tickets! However I would prefer to watch footy from the comfort of the TV or in a proper stadium like the MCG than freeze to death at poxy park.

Anon, Brisbane GPO to Surfers is 82 kms. I would love to see that done in 35 minutes.

TR, in answer to your question, If the Sixers folded I would have little or no opportunity to support the NBL (no team in the state, no tv or media coverage) or NBA (don't have foxtel), and would have little interest going out to ABA games (just better versions of the social comp games I play in - no offence, just not 'elite' enough to be of real interest).

Hell, if there were no Sixers I'd miss it, but I imagine I would just get on with life. So I can sympathise with supporters of other teams that fold saying that they won't be following the NBL anymore.

Reply #192246 | Report this post

John Howard  
Years ago

XY - I dont support any Adelaide AFL team; however I have been to both Power & Crows matches this season at footy park to see games.

Given that the Power matches were more shames than games, but I still enjoyed going.

Reply #192320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever Adelaidians!

Reply #192366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754