dcanwade
Years ago

Wade and Team Nike (USA)

thought USA basketball decided NOT to build a team of superstars and instead build a real team. So why are one-dimensional scorers like Wade and Anthony on team? Wade is an undersized 2-guard slasher with no jump-shot and mediocre defense. Melo is a ball-hogging, no-defense-playing forward, but at least he offers a strong post game. WHY IS WADE ON THIS TEAM? USA has the three best PGs in the world (Paul, Williams, JKidd) and the best scorers in the world (LBJ, Kobe), so what does DWade bring to the team that these guys dont? He is totally redundant. They should use his roster spot on Chandler or a shooter/defender.

The only reason Wade is here is because Team USA is really a promotional team for shoe companies like Nike, and they pay Wade lots of money and NEED him to remain famous and relevant. People point to his ring, but I dont think Dick Bavetta and Bennet Salvatore are reffing the Olympics, so he wont be shooting 30 free throws a game like in '06.

Anyway, I hope he doesnt play much. I think the best line-up is:

PG-Chris Paul
SG-Deron Williams
SF-Kobe Bryant
PF-LeBron James
C-Dwight Howard
Bench-Kidd, Redd, Boozer, Prince.

With two PGs, this line-up is small, but D-Will can really shoot threes 39% and Kobe and LeBron can rebound against and guard bigger guys. I like Prince as a gadget player who can do a little of everything, I just hope he has his shooting touch. Kidd is old and falling down on D, but he will help keep the stars happy and can blow lesser teams away with his fast-break prowess. I think he should be off the floor in crunch time though because he cant shoot or execute in the half court as well as Paul and Williams.

Best of luck to team Nike.

Topic #16308 | Report this topic

gotrao  
Years ago

Your a clown............

Melo will start for that team and dominate.

Reply #192112 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I may be behind the times here, but I thought Wade was a Converse boy.

Reply #192122 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He is I think.

Reply #192133 | Report this post

Pasadena 62  
Years ago

and Dwight is adidas

Reply #192134 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

if Howard goes down with injury or foul trouble ...USA are suspect. 2 teams that can or have best chance to beat them are Argentina and Spain. I would even rate those 2 other teams as co favourites for the gold with USA. USA better watch out for the Greeks also

Reply #192137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Funny you should mention that Speedy:

On their one and only day of minicamp, Team USA was not whole.

Dwight Howard was forced to sit out practice Saturday due to a stress fracture of his sternum, an injury he sustained during the Orlando Magic's second round playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons.

"It's a six to eight week recovery time, and this is the sixth week," said Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski, who expects Howard to be fully healed by the time the team reconvenes for training camp July 21.

Reply #192142 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

Isaac i think they are going to need one more big ... even with Howard healthy ...they are too guard orientated right now. The internatinal teams are just going to clog the paint with their zone meaning they are going to make life difficult/impossible for the slashers. They need inside presence to free up their shooters ... Bosh and worst still Boozer aren't going to do it. Suprises me that USA basketball haven't learnt their lessons pass few years .. not saying they aren't going to win the gold only it's not that easy as they think ..and wouldn't be suprised if they get a Bronze again either

Reply #192150 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Melo has been the most consistent player for Team USA for their last two tournaments. He isn't the best defender in the squad, but when you've got Paul, Kobe and Howard on the team you can get away with having some pure scorers.

PG is the only starting position up for grabs. Paul probably deserves it, but Kidd could steal it due to experience.

Paul/Kobe/Melo/LeBron/Howard is the starting lineup i'd go for.

Reply #192187 | Report this post

Rasheed36  
Years ago

Nike own Converse, like Adidas owns Reebok, but still don't agree with the Team Nike statement.

Reply #192188 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Speedy,
IMO Boozer is one of the best inside scoring big man in the world. He is strong and can finish inside with either hand. Along with his inside ability he has a reliable mid range shot. I think he is a great fit for team USA and i think he will dominate.

Reply #192196 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

I`m with you Mark - Melo seems to be one of those rare American NBA stars who can click with FIBA rules and conditions (and he has ice in his veins)... The arguements against Wade going to the Olympics are relevant though (the guy reeks when he plays high pressure stakes intl. bball - where they actually call his junk as travelling... same could be said of LeBron though - but you can`t leave him out - Wade though??? Throw him to the wolves for all i care... he is expendable...)

Reply #192297 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754