Kent Brockman
Years ago

Willie Tanked his Game?

I love a conspiracy theory.....it has been suggested to me that Willie tanked his game last night as a reaction to not having his contract sorted out before his wife goes back to the USA.

So the questions is did he just have a bad night???

Topic #1631 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So having a bad game would help get your contract renewed how?

Reply #18633 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

. . . by showing his value to the team:

Willie plays bad = Sixers lose bad.

Although, I don't buy it.

Reply #18634 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't buy it either -- he looked like he was putting in the effort, but just wasn't making the shots.

Reply #18635 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Willie was badly coached last nite. When he had Gaze on him, he was trying his pull up fade aways. He should have been driving hard to the rack. Drive and dish.

Lots of his shots rimmed out, but when your J is not falling, you get to the line.

can be Willie's downfall. Everyone loves him when his shots are falling, but he sometimes doesn't adjust his game to the situation

Reply #18636 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

By badly coached, I mean he should be given more direction sometimes by Phil

Reply #18637 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Kent that is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard

Reply #18638 | Report this post

Pip  
Years ago

Hey doc,
Sixers game has always been keep shooting until you make one. As a result the sixers always struggle when either Maher or Farley have a bad shooting night.

Reply #18639 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Pip, I know, but maybe it shouldn't be that way. Farley is quicker than anyone on the court last nite. He should have made use of that. Get himself to the line, make a few free throws for confidence.

Also, why sub out Oscar when he hit two threes and a jumpshot in about 3 minutes?

I don't mean for either Maher or Farley to stop shooting, but just make use of their strengths a little better. Phil might be the one to direct his players to do this.

Reply #18640 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

And I don't think Willie tanked his game!

Reply #18641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good point -- Willie is a good free throw shooter too. 10 of 11 against Melbourne last time, 11 of 13 against the Razors, 10 of 10 against Hunter and 10 of 12 against Townsville.

But then, of course that would require Andrew Gaze to get called for a foul... ;)

Reply #18643 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Ha! That's an even better point! Don't know why Stiffy was allowed to get away with his molesting of Brett at half time though.

Congrats to Dusty on a blinder. Most under-rated import/player in the L. Starting to get more recognition. Carfino had some love for him.

Did everyone see the stats of Gaze the year he averaged 44.5 points a game? Ridiculous

Reply #18645 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I wouldnt think that Farley tanked his game. The guy has too much pride for that.

But it does highlight the fact that the delay in contract talks by amnagement is having an adverse effect in the players.

Even Carfino (in his worst game of the year as well) alluded to Rychart and Farley trying to get contract extensions, and sort pondered as to why it hadnt been done.

Would love to see Dusty consider naturalising, and allowing the 6ers to bring in another import.

Imagine, if Maher does go OS next season, Dusty naturalises(has played 3 season in Oz, so qualifies), and we secure another import guard to tandem with Farley.

Reply #18646 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee -- I thought that imports, once naturalised, had to play a further 2-3 seasons before they didn't take up an import spot? Who'd have the rules on that? Can anyone remember the Mark Davis timeline of naturalising?

Did you notice how they put up the season PPG stats at half-time again? I was at a pub and couldn't hear the commentary at all times, but surely we all want to see points scored in the game at half-time, and not the season stats?

Reply #18648 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I think you might be correct Issac. I seem to remember Davis was actually naturalised for a number of seasons before another import could be brought in. That was Jo Jo English in 1995, but he was signed half way through the season and I'm not sure if that was because Davis' satus as an Australian wasn't set until a certain date.

However, the rules could have changed since then. That was 10 years ago.

Reply #18649 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I'll try and track down the rule.

Reply #18650 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #18653 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I believe the rule is 2 years as a naturalised import.

Davis, Bolden, Leroy, Mel Thomas have all plyed 2 years as an import whilst being an Oz Citizen.

Reply #18654 | Report this post

ft  
Years ago

Belgium is too wet, Cincinnati gets too cold, but Brisbane is just right for top Bullets import Bobby Brannen.

The American thinks the city is so good he has started the long process to gain Australian citizenship.

The Bullets are assisting Brannen, who would become a valuable weapon for the NBL club if he was classified as an Australian player rather than a restricted import.

But Brannen insists he is not seeking citizenship just to help the Bullets, who host Perth tomorrow night at the Convention Centre.

He is doing it because he wants to settle in Australia after his playing days are finished.

"I've ended up somewhere I really like. I'm really happy here and I love living here," Brannen said yesterday.

"Australia is like America but, in many ways to me, it's better."

Brannen, 29, is following the path set by Leroy Loggins and Derek Rucker, who became Australian citizens after playing many of their decorated NBL seasons with the Bullets.

The process could take several years but Brannen is only 29 and plans to play well into his 30s.

"We have a great team owner in Eddy Groves and a great coach (Joey Wright), who I like playing for, so there is no point in me looking anywhere else at the moment," Brannen said.

"If I didn't have family and friends back home, I probably wouldn't even leave Brisbane in the off-season."

But Brannen enjoys catching up with his close family, including five sisters and one brother, in the Cincinnati summer when the Bullets finish their season.

Brannen has taught his parents Bob and Debbie to surf the Internet so they can follow the progress of their eldest son, who is one of the NBL's top imports.

He has averaged 17 points and almost 10 rebounds in the past three years to help the Bullets surge from wooden-spooners to title threats.

It's a much happier environment for Brannen than the Belgian stint that soured his first professional season in 1998.

"I was miserable most of the time in Belgium. It was very dreary for me because it rains a lot and the language barrier made it much tougher," he said.

"I gave up quite a bit of money to come here in the first place but there is still no comparison. I won't be going back to Europe."

But don't expect Brannen to blend into every Australian custom.

Cricket is simply not his preferred sport.

Reply #18655 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

you are talking crap about contract talks affecting Willie's game and even more crap about tanking!!! That is the life of the professional ball player and if anything Willie's greatest problem is that he has to find ways to contribute when the shot doesn't drop. In the past Willie has upped the D and contributed with hustle and then the drive and/or dish when his shot was off. That was the aspect that was missing last night and that is the only bit that is concerning. There is NO likelihood that POOR performance/tanking would have helped his case to stay and if anything it has strengthened my conviction that we DONT sign Willie yet because if Brett goes there are limited decent Oz guards and your back court is critical to success. Smyth is a very non-directive coach and would have left Willie to his own devices. The best thing Willie can do to enhance his professional future is to play well and when his own shot doesn't drop then lift on D and look to do more team things.

Reply #18656 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Is that you Jacob "flatshot" Holmes?

Reply #18661 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Its Sam Perkins

Reply #18667 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Don't you also have to spend a full 12 months in the country upon applying. I'm sure its something like that and thus Brannen/Dusty whoever wouldnt be able to return to the states to visite family/friends, this is what has stoped a few imports from becoming naturalised.

Reply #18671 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I'm not sure what the rules are as far as becoming a citizen, but direct from Marc Howard (Media Manager of the NBL), as soon as a player becomes an Australian citizen, they lose their import status, and that slot is open for another import.

Reply #18673 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

There is no way that is the rule.

They made the rule to stop cases of players taking out Aus citizenship just to play ball as a non import.

Remember Kelvin Hendeson and the sixers took the NBL to court over it.

You can be a dual citizen of both countries.

Can you imagine..... heres 50k Dusty/ Rashad/ Willie/ Bobby etc. go get yourself an OZ passport.

Reply #18676 | Report this post

Hackam Hacker  
Years ago

1/ I can't believe both teams are under the same salary cap, their bench is better than most NBL teams starting fives.

2/ When final placings are up for grabs players DON'T tank games.

3/ If we shoot well we can bet any NBL team.

4/ With Bradke scoaring almost at will from 2 feet from the basket, we would have to shoot a very high 3pt percentage to win.

Sorry to be harsh but include Oscar as a guard and don't count Dusty (who had a good game)
And Melbourne had the best 4-5 big men on the floor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't considered the 36ers a serious rebounding threat since Mark Davis owned the boards.

Yogee in one of your posts you sugested importing a guard to tandem with Willie.
SA can produce caipable guards
Maher,Ng,Newley,Hill

Wouldn't we be much better served by a monster who can score with his back to the basket (alla Bradke) or make the d collapse and kick to the 3pt line.

You will score more consistently from 2 feet, than from 16. Its a fact.

Did anyone notice how easily Gaze was able to rotate his WHOLE line up. I can't believe the two teams I saw could be under the same sallary cap.can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #18678 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Do your really think Dusty would become an aussie, i cant see him doing it. To me he seems to really like his home town and family there. It would be nice though.

Reply #18679 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Reply #18684 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Hackam who is Hill from your list of capable SA guards?

Both teams would be under the cap although i still can not get how Tigers get there points down.

Reply #18696 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

A conservative look at the Tigers roster is as follows.

Starting 5

Gaze- 5 (been a Tiger for whole career)
Copeland- 7 (same as Gaze but began career as import)
Bradtke- 7 (reduction for number of years with Tigers)
Thomas- 10 (import)
Hoare- 7

Total Starting 5 = 36

Bench

Tucker- 10 (import)
McDonald- 7 (former import but reduction for years of service with Victoria/Melbourne)
Stiff- 7 (at least 7 given he was starting centre on championship team last season)
Mottram- 6
Corletto- 5 (started career with Tigers so couldn't be any higher)

Total bench= 35

Total team= 71

The above numbers are not official and are conservative in my opinion. That puts the team 5 points over the maximum allowed of 66.

I haven't included their 2 development players as I don't know if they count towards the points cap.

Like I said good on the Tigers but if someone can explain how they are under the points cap or where I have erred in my calculations I would appreciate it.

Especially given that last year either Lindsay Gaze or Seamus McPeake of the Tigers was part of a 3 man committee who voted against Derek Moore being allowed to play for the 36ers because we were 'over' the points cap with a star studded bench of Holmes, Forman, Williams, Ng and Gower.

Either way, even if the Tigers are not over the points cap there is a MAJOR flaw in the system if our team last year with Moore was over the points cap and this year's Tigers team is under.

If anyone has the official points values of the Tigers players could you please post to show me how I have erred.

Reply #18698 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

DMac woiuldnt actually get a discount for long term service, as it only applies to the one team, after 5 years.

Reply #18699 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I read somewhere that the league (being as kind as it is), granted D-Mac the points reduction as Victoria went broke rather than him merely changing teams.

In any event, I couldn't have seen him being rated much higher than the 7 I have put him down for.

Reply #18700 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Reply #18701 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I understood that once a player spends the allotted time with one club, then changes clubs, they are able to take their points reduction with them. I think I read it in one of Boti's articles earlier in the year. Could be mistaken...

Reply #18718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that DMac could be rated slightly lower -- an import isn't automatically a 10 (that's only their first season I think), they can be re-rated by the league or NBL.

Corletto could be a 4, Mottram might've been rated lower by clubs due to injury, etc. 66 seems unlikely, but it's possible.

Obviously the cap isn't an issue -- DMac would be playing cheap, as with Gaze. Tucker could play for minimum if the Wildcats had to pay out his contract, Mottram wouldn't be in a position to argue for a payrise, etc.

Reply #18720 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No...a points reduction is purely an "internal rating". Which means it only applies to that club. The "internal rating" deducts the points off of the "external ratinbg" which is derived of all 11 coaches rating each player from 1-10. The 2 highest, and 2 lowest scores are then discarded, and the rating then derived from averaging out the remainder of the scores.

I have the official points system information guide if anyone wants to see it. Just email me.

Reply #18722 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Kent : this is the official word from the NBL...

The key determining factor of whether a player is considered an import is citizenship. Once someone becomes an Australian citizen, they can play in the Philips Championship as a local and therefore any import slot they previously filled automatically becomes open.

Isaac : a restricted player (ie import) is automatically a 10 for their first season. If they stay beyond that, they then get rated as per the normal system.

Reply #18723 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The rule must have changed.

Maybe Kelvin could start his law suit again and get the NBL for lost income.

We have discussed this issue on the board before and it seems there may be some opportunities now for Muriel types to marry some ball players!!!

Reply #18727 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

The rule definately changed. I wasn't sure of ther current rule (thanks Yogee) but the days of Kelvin Henderson and Mark Davis having to wait three years to play as Australians changed quite a while ago.

As for signing Farley and Rychart, I think it would be wise to hold off on signing them. Who knows what the makeup of our team will be next year? We only have Forman signed at the moment. The imports are the most flexible spots to fill. Signing them first, before we know our positional requirements, would not be all that smart.

Reply #18732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They have options on three other players (Jacob, Dusty, can't remember) I think.

Doctor E -- who would you lock in from the local crew? Or would it depend entirely on Maher staying?

Rogers and Cattalini left quite late in the off-season in previous years. I wonder if that leaves Europe-bound players having to either declare their NBL non-availability early and risk not getting a gig overseas, or being guarded about plans and then sign down the track? The latter obviously isn't good for the club. The former isn't wise for the player.

If Maher stays, then they need to lock him in, and then work on the rest of the roster. If Maher is going, then things aren't as easy.

I think I'd go after Cooper -- will always be valuable off the bench or can start if the forwards are strong scorers, and isn't the type to demand an expensive contract, I'd guess, that would limit what can be offered to the rest.

Reply #18735 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

KB - Hill is the 'next Newley', currently at the AIS. After he leaves, Ingles will be the 'next Newley'. Let's hope we can get the two of them in the next 3 years to replace Maher/JW/Nash.

Reply #18747 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

After Forman, who is already signed I would lock in Maher obviously if we can, Holmes if we can and Cooper if we can get him for a reasonable price. That's about it. The rest, I'd wait and see. And of those only really Cooper looks certain at this stage if the rumours about Europe are true for the other two.

I'd also wait and see what Cattalini and Rogers are doing aswell as the Free Agents list.

I'm not saying wait for ages before we look to sign Dusty or Willie, but at least get a few key Aussies signed first.

Reply #18768 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Libertine - when will Brad Hill finish at the AIS?

Reply #18769 | Report this post

Hackam Hacker  
Years ago

Two years I think doc
U are right Lib Joe could be on that list too.
Doc,
Catalini his style would suit the sixers this year but I think he's over-rated and we'd pay too much to get him.

I still haven't forgiven him for a final(not grand) I think it was against Perth away a few years ago. Catalini just kept shooting the ball regardless of the results. He was barely scoring but he just kept firing up junk all game. He's a strong and compeditive player but I don't think his decisions are great.

Rogers ARE YOU JOKING!
We've had him before and he did less than nothing.

Not only that we let him out of contract leaving the club with no money or centre.

Reply #18889 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Doc - this is his second year.

Reply #18892 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754