metro man
Years ago

Country - what is going on ?

Are country state teams in turmoil ? What is happeneing ? Hear kids pulling out still at this late stage, some not training whilst playing other sports. What is going on out there ?

Topic #16327 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple prefer netball so Dean will have to journey to ETSA park to recruit them.

Reply #192360 | Report this post

Frog 15  
Years ago

Which team, boys girls? 16/18's??

More info please!!!

Reply #192379 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As usual boys choosing footy over b/ball, girls netball!! (get far better looked after in those sports)- most times actually get something back as well.

Reply #192401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 and 18 country girls both have netballers among them and on occassions past were give leave passes to play Saturday netball and miss training or a practice game.
I have a mixed feeling about this because I think we should encourage kids and allow tham to play as many sports as their bodies permit but also think, once in a state team that should take precedence.
Metro kids were, once, explicitly told no other sport once in the state team which cut short ambitions and their other irons in the fire.
Maybe some consistency amongst SA teams and the various state coaches would give the kids and parents an unambiguous idea of what was expected in terms of other sports.

Reply #192429 | Report this post

Spot the Cat  
Years ago

(#192429) Agreed. Kids, go out and play as many sports as your bodies can take; however once you make a state team, give that your full attention otherwise move aside for someone who will.

Reply #192440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 Boys have a footballer amongst them and they have also given a pass to play football first and then come late or even miss some training sessions

Reply #192458 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

anon did your son miss out, get your facts right my Son has missed one session, one early one, has not been late for one. Has been injured in Basketball concussion and jarred knee but has been to all trainings. Another lad has missed trainings due to back spasms and also plays football,but he has been turning up. Another lad was injured early with an ankle injury has not been sighted at trainings but has pulled out.Report the facts under 16 boys have 4 boys that play football. I must admit the boys should freshen up they do look very fatigued.

Reply #192461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think alot of these are doing to much,they look so drained, fatigured, too much training, sport, school etc, Burnout is on the cards for some of these kids....

Reply #192499 | Report this post

dog 87  
Years ago

Jack of all.

But King of none more like it.

Reply #192506 | Report this post

metro man  
Years ago

Agree with 192449 and 192440 that once you make a state team to be fair to all concerned you should commit the last month to the state cause. I know one kid from sturt and one from norwood chose not to do state because, yes they wanted to make SANFL 17's footy for their clubs, but they also said it was not fair on team mates who do commit 100% when they cannot even though they want to. One of those kids I believe did the same with his club to be fair to his team mates and he still goes to watch. It is clear that to participate at an elite level in 2 sporting codes is very difficult almost impossible.

Reply #192508 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

true metro man it is almost impossible, next year my Son will definetly choose one sport. I believe both sports become compromised, and if we want our children to excel at their truly chosen sport a sacrifice of one sport needs addressing.

Reply #192514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

legend you are a LEGEND!!!

Reply #192516 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

on my way to The couger and chuck norris

Reply #192521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey legend what sport do you prefer to choose footy or basketball and why?

Reply #192522 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

footy by a country mile, it is cheaper,less parental whinging, no country versus metro jealousy, football generally provides training locally or run buses. Also I have been a development officer for Sturt for 5 years and enjoy coaching opportunities. Also my Son is pushed by challenges and two of the best guards at Albury have chosen Footy. I was a hall of Famer at basketballer at Karoonda, my signature moves after 10 bourbons were the Stationary screen,cross over dribble and the shotglass assists.

Reply #192527 | Report this post

dog 87  
Years ago

And all the other parents and players have wasted their time and effort for a team to underperform because some people are unwilling to make a sacrifice. I hope that by the end of the week there will be some questions asked.

Reply #192543 | Report this post

go maroons  
Years ago

What a wonderfully positive attitude you have DOG 87, they have underperformed already, not having even left SA yet! You are just the type of supporter every team needs, one that gets more joy out of criticising than encouraging.

Reply #192550 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

negativity dog 87, I am a straight shooter, you know who I am,have courage to identify yourself, who has not made sacrifices that is in the team. I am positive the boys will play well as a team. There is always controversies in team selections that is why it is beneficial to communicate with the coaches to find out areas that your child needs improving.

Reply #192553 | Report this post

%  
Years ago

"communicate with the coaches to find out areas that your child needs improving"

Feel good, warm & fuzzy shite!

Reply #192577 | Report this post

Bleet! Bleet! Bleet!

Reply #192578 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

My thoughts along with others are with a young under 16 girl from Strath. Definetely not playing probably not even travelling due to her untimely health scare. I along with my family enjoy this forum with some great pressing basketball issues. I suggest some people deliberating in this subject should spend an hour with neeks and family and truly learn about commitment, sacrifice and courage. Also dog 87 I honestly use to be Counsellor, book in for Counselling I am available until 10 this morning, I will be drunk after that. Your negative comment has insulted the integrity of the Under 16 boys chosen and their parents. I am positive the boys will perform.

Reply #192583 | Report this post

dog 87  
Years ago

Legend, no selection problems. Just that the team seems to be struggling because some players have put the team second and themsleves first by not fully committing. Other families have made a full commitment and are being let down by individual selfishness.

Luckily it wont be the case in a couplt of years, and we wont need your self proclaiming humour in the sport.

Reply #192584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"you know who I am" Yeah a quick check of the state team rosters makes it pretty clear....NOT!

Reply #192588 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

dog87 sour grapes this is not development Nationals is about winning and playing the best players that make a team. Maybe your son is good individually but his attributes might not gel with the teams concept.Counselling is still available for an hour, I believe I would diagnose you as bipolar or Split personality disorder. One minute "I have no problem with team selection" but "they will be under performing because my kid did not get picked". I also gather your child is a basketballer only, probably has time to go to SASI. Ring me at work and identify yourself coward on 85324788 or 1800 sooky la la. Also dog 87 my son is enjoying his Basketball and might try out next year as he has been approached by scouts to continue. Looking positive as footy and basketball will not clash next couple of years. I look for to the gripes you got my number, good luck to your son.

Reply #192590 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sad but same story, footy has far more opportunities and if guru here keeps blinkers on they'll all disappear (as they have been)....

Reply #192610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legend,

No wonder every one hates Sturt if you are an endorsement for the club. By the way you mentioned you were there development officer for 5 years - I believe you spelt recruitment wrongly.

Oh by the way do you really know what is happening when you are not even sure what your son is doing. #514 says he definately choosing one next year but in #590 (within 24 hours) it is looking positive to playing both as they don't clash.

So what is it? I guess you are just another person with an over inflated ego of your own importance supported by the abilities of your son. Good luck to your son!

Reply #192615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#615:
It's wise when pickng some person up for spelling errors to spell correctly yourself. (but you're right about us hating Sturt!)

Reply #192618 | Report this post

Anonymous above,

I think you'll find the Legend has a son playing for Eastern Mavericks, not Sturt. I'd assume the Sturt reference is to the Sturt FOOTY Club.

But hey, nice petty anti-Sturt placement - even if you are talking about the wrong sport...

Reply #192621 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

Does everybody hate Sturt gee from memory they are top in most grades undefeated in the Under 17, must be a jealousy thing. From a parents point of view I believe he should choose one sport, but the powers to be coaches and selectors due to his abilities have given him this opportunity in which we are greatful. As well as being a Counsellor I was a Qualified Teacher English or grammar was not my speciality it was Sports Psychology. At no stage have you seen me belittle a team or individual. My Son sat down with parental support in regards to his decision, both parties bball and Fball we happy. If you read higher bozo I have been honest and stated my signatories moves and basketball prowess. Very insecure mate about your abilities I have not questioned the refs coaches decision move on. I love the debate, I Counselled myself I think I have multiple personality disorder.

Reply #192624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I hate Sturt footy club as well especially when Terry Short decked Royce Hart in 69 GF

Reply #192625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow legend - your definition of belittle is different to mine. What are you doing to Dog 87. And by the way I don't see where he has said there is a problem coz his son was not selected.

Reply #192626 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

the word under performing is not belittling I feel attack the integrity of the selection process, the kids chosen and their parents who are all committed, did I also state that I work for a legal firm.

Reply #192629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you write that in English?

"Ring me at work and identify yourself coward on 85324788 or 1800 sooky la la." Next time that is said to me I will take it as a compliment!

Reply #192640 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

hey it's after 10 I have diverted the phone to my mobile, it's on I am at the pub Counselling. I stand corrected not where I am working, my place of employment. Come to my afternoon lecture I will be tanked ' It's call it's not my fault but I have to blame someone" it comes with complimentary mirrors to look at yourself. 1800 sooky lala has been ringing off the hook can now also ring sooky boo boo. Bartender/Secretary can you answer the phone and get me another bourbon.

Reply #192643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow legend, is there nothing you dont do?

Counselling, working for a legal firm (dont get the point on this one in this thread but hey what ever does it for you I guess!), Qualified Teacher, Sports Psychology,sending get well messages, being a great supportive father and all round nice guy, always being so right plus having a very talented son who excells in two of his chosen sports.

You ARE a bloody Legend.

Hopefully, with an ounce of luck, Legend jnr wont have his head stuck up his ass like Legend senior seems to have.

Reply #192697 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

Now now I did not see you at my lecture this afternoon, I never claimed to be right only my opinion, you have yours. I respect that, I do not have my head up my arse otherwise my hair would not be so grey. If you knew me I have a weird sense of humour granted, all I have done is support my child as we all do. I did not say he excelled in two sports, he has been given the opportunity to play two sports. Here we go you putting words out of context. I have supported the team chosen by the SAC. Lightened up Man My lecture came with a mirror and a happy hour, I honestly don't take myself that seriously. I apologise if I have offended you, your child or family. I am thinking of becoming a comedian that no one thinks is funny.

Reply #192718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that IS funny:)

Reply #192723 | Report this post

Monks  
Years ago

First of all. i am a player that tried out for the SAC under 16 boys, nad i was successful with 4 other boys to at least make the reserves, and last week me and another reserve had to fight it out for a injured players position. i didnt get selected but that isnt the point. the coach "Shona" knows wat she is doing. an plus this team i found has commited there basically full attention to the nationals. and yes some people have got hurt playin football but we r kids. i mean dont u think we should be able to play two sports?? i used to last yr. so everyone can stop ya winging and bullshit, because the team that was selected is going to go well at nationals. and "legend" u right in wat u r sayin and dog_87 can just piss off cause his negative attitude to the team is not needed. and "legend" i believe i know u. your son plays in the same district team as me.

Reply #192921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some kids are gifteed enough to play 2 spoots and some arent

Reply #192942 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

AAhhh the word "gifteed" (sic) only means potential but they have done it yet.

Also would like to know how come you think you have to be gifted to play 2 sports - what a load of crapola

Reply #192949 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754