The_Champ33
Years ago

Davis verbally agrees to Clippers deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3470016

Topic #16339 | Report this topic

Tyler  
Years ago

Great move for the Clips. They just need to resign Brand and they will be a threat in the western conference. Gotta offload Maggette though.

Reply #192452 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

This is huge.
I remember last season as the Warriors were fighting for the last playoff spot, Don Nelson benched Davis for most of the second half. Warriors ended up losing, and missing the playoffs. I thought at the time that Davis has been one of the main reasons why the team was even sniffing the playoffs, so why bench him in such a crucial game, even if his first half stunk.

So even though Davis has said all off season that he and Nelson were fine, this relationship may have had a small part to play in leaving Golden State.

Reply #192457 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Wow, didn't expect this. I was surprised he left 17 mill on the table, now he has gone to clippers. So his deal is about 13 mil a year. Not bad.

Next thing you know warriors will sign Arenas.

Reply #192467 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Clips are finally going to make their supporters happy by the looks of things!

It is good to see the attitude shift that appears to be going on in the NBA at the moment. Garnett agreed to restructure his contract last year so that the Celtics could afford to bring him in.

Now Davis has taken a voluntary pay cut, presumably to go play with Brand, Kaman and Thornton in LA. I can't imagine he would do that unless he has received assurances from Brand that he will stay with the Clippers. So it appears that Brand is a lock to also take a pay cut in pursuit of a championship. The quote below seems to confirm Brand's mindset:

Brand and agent David Falk insisted that their decision to forfeit next season's $16.4 million salary and allow Brand to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career was designed to give the Clippers more payroll flexibility to strengthen the team around the face of its franchise.

Falk told ESPN.com that a visit to Boston for Game 2 of the NBA Finals to see the Celtics' triumvirate of Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen was Brand's spark.

"He watched what happened when a few stars get together and agree to have a communal effort," Falk said. "He said, 'That's what I'd like to accomplish in my career.'"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468448

Reply #192475 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Arenas really worth max? I wouldn't pay it.

(Off the Arenas bandwagon for about 9-12 months now.)

Reply #192477 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Isaac- Owners would pay max on a guy like Arenas coz his star power means TV and jersey sales.

No way anyone can honestly picture him taking a team to the finals...

Much respect for Baron here, now they need...... wait a minute, totally forgot they got Gordon in the draft!

"Calling all bandwagon supporters"
"Calling all bandwagon supporters"

"your time is now"

Baron Gordon backcourt.
Thornton, Brand Kaman froncourt.

Now just turn fatigue off so you can play the starters all game long and... oh thats right, you can only do that on x-box.

Bench is massive issue for this team now, but they have time to get something in there, is Mobley still runnin and gunnin?

Reply #192484 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I like Arenas, but I guess at this point in his career he is trying to sure up the cash, before the ring, as most NBA players do. With his celb status, he would probably make more in endorsements with a big city contender. Wizards are ok but not better then 4th or 5th in a Eastern Conference that is only getting better.

Reply #192486 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't offer Arenas a max deal if I didn't have to. But do you lose him to the Warriors for not paying max? He is basically the face of the franchise, so if you lose him to the Warriors, you lose the whole team personality, and a lot of ticket sales.

So in this case I would pay him max, even though knowing he probably doesn't deserve it.

Reply #192526 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

verbal don't mean jack .. yeah jersey selllin' is most important for teams ... so who was it dat said NBA isn't all about the money honey $$$$$$ ??? ... whoop !!!

Reply #192825 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754