Isaac
Years ago

Cairns Taipans sign Crosswhite

The Cairns Taipans have picked up ex-King Ian Crosswhite as something of a replacement for Nathan Jawai.

"We have said all along that we didn't want to rush into anything," said (Coach) Black. "We wanted to wait on the outcome of Nathan's NBA Draft aspirations in the US, but have been working behind the scenes to ensure we have the right person for the team. Crosswhite's signing is a major plus for us. He has a great touch around the basket and has been a dominant figure for the Kings over the past two seasons. He also brings championship winning experience to the club which is invaluable to the group. We expect Ian to be a key figure in our lineup for the upcoming season and I am looking forward to getting him on court as soon as possible for pre-season training."

Crosswhite will arrive in Cairns on Wednesday night and will suit up for his first training session with the Taipans on Thursday morning.
More at NBL.com.au

This is the second big man taken from the Kings' stocks in recent days after Russell Hinder replaced Ben Pepper in Townsville.

Topic #16341 | Report this topic

Rat10  
Years ago

I suppose that one of the plusses with Brisbane and Sydney's woes is that talent has become more concentrated around the league with players like Crosswhite, Saville, Hinder etc strengthening teams.

This should make for a more even competition which is important in maintaining fan support and interest throughout the season.

Reply #192492 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The real concern with this is that if Sydney team saved as suggested what is left to create a competitive team to get some support or a group you can create some interest in a city that are not great sport supporters. If you are wanting to get a NBL liscence why would you not be talking to these free agents. Crosswhite had to wait while Taipans made a decision re Jawail NBA so he could have done same to them whilst Syd. saga was sorted out supposedely on
Thurs. Finally I am wacked how we get so many NBA rumour threads are posted when we are in Aust. and few NBL rumours really and usually only a day before official.
A classic example unless I missed a post was the signing of Wintiana to Sixers, totally out of blue on this site to my memory until he was signed. Another local example who are Sixers looking at for developement spots as other teams are setting up we must be talking to players to at least trial.

Reply #192498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Winitana was kept fairly quiet but Crosswhite and Cairns were linked last week I think.

I think it's just a matter of there being a lot of action in the NBA world right now - the draft, some big trades, etc.

Reply #192511 | Report this post

gravytrain  
Years ago

Crosswhite is no great loss for the Kings - word was he was out the door if Goorjian had stayed and wasn't a priority with the new regime (assuming they survive). Too lazy and uninspired despite his undeniable talent. Good luck trying to light a fire under his butt.

Hinder is the much bigger loss for those guys. Much better defender, better athlete, more versatile, better teammate.

Reply #192534 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I've always thought Crosswhite was a knob since seeing his NSW team lose to SA at the u/20 nationals about 6 years ago and him reacting by taking off his shirt and doing a few dunks after the game to restore lost pride. Slambour taught him a lesson about hussle that day.

Reply #192546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If that's true of Crosswhite, Cairns are going to have a great time (again) with chemistry next year. A lot of money going to the players, but doubt they're all on the same page.

Reply #192591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754