skip
Years ago

Funny Two bids fail, Kings gone for 08/09

Announced on the NBL.com.au website

http://linky.com.au/zq5vt

I think its a good idea. With the amount of talent that has left, they would have been hard pressed to put a decent squad.

(Mod: Date adjusted to keep this at the top of the forum for a while today.)

Topic #16345 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looked as though quite a few of their players still hadn't signed elsewhere though, so I would've thought they'd pick up some of the our Bullets that were left- could've made a half decent squad.
It seems both parties was calling eachother's bluff to some degree with the other admitting they couldn't organise finace as quick as the first group pulled out.
I wonder how they will work the revised top 8.

Reply #192547 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

top 5 like the old vfl format would be my pick.

Reply #192548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 6 & three game series all the way through would be my tip.

Really unfortunate, but does definitely sound like the NBL did what they could, and then did what they had to do.

Hopefully something is in place for 09/10.

Reply #192551 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A sad day for the NBL. How long can the NBL drag out the negative publicity?

Reply #192556 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

On the upside they will definately get rid of the to 8 making the finals. it was rediculous to finish 5th and have 1 knockout finals game. most stupid finals setup in all of sport i recon..

Reply #192557 | Report this post

Chucky  
Years ago

Actually igotmadskills we here in NBL HQ have decided to do away with the final series all together.
We have come up with a new exciting system modelled on our fantastic educational system.

No longer will there be winners and losers in the NBL. (Except of course if you support or have anything to do with the Kings or Bullets, in which case you're pretty much stuffed)
As of the 2008/2009 season all teams will be marked with either a `Recorded Achievement' (RA), `Satisfactory Achievement' (SA), or `Requirements not Met' (RNM)

To achieve an RA a team much demonstrate competency in a broad range of areas, most importantly the ability to attend the game. All players receiving an RA will be awarded with a little smiley face stamp as a sign of appreciation for not leaving to play in a proper league.

The criteria for an SA is much the same as an RA, only the team must demonstrate an ability to score more points than the other team. (No winners or losers remember) All players being awarded an SA will receive a `scratch and sniff' sticker.

Any team not able to demonstrate the minimum requirements required for an RA (turning up) will be given an RNM.

The team with the most scratch and sniff stickers at the end of the season will be awarded an album in which to put them, however in keeping with the strict `no winners or losers' protocol we will be awarding all the other teams with albums also.

In addition, the NBL will be soon be announcing a series of cost cutting initiatives for the 08/09 season, (the new home and away system obviously being one of them)
with the aim of ensuring the NBL remain viable well into the future. (Or at least until Christmas or I find a new job)

Reply #192581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As was posted on OzHoops - the bid with the finance couldn't get organised and the organised bid had finance fall through.

All talk in the end?

Reply #192585 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Sydney Sydney Sydney" "Gone Gone Gone!" haha sorry just had to add that :P

Reply #192593 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Pitty as previously stated the two bids could not be jointly placed, egos and ownership could of been left at the door and the kings saved?.

Reply #192594 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

A sad day for NBL and yes it will be a nice tight liitle competition this year but how do we move fwd and not keep going backwards and make it viable for both owners and sponsors and TV coverage.
Chucky dont normally like making fun of something important as this nbl team fiasco but not only well done but scary as might be too close to what they are thinking. Seriously if no dramatic changes to board and their direction or even I will have to get on all the nba sites and read all the NBL rumours and maybe even have to support Miami. God forbid.

Reply #192599 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

I think Isaac said it in another thread - we don't need "rich uncle" owners, we need people who are trying to make an investment (preferably because they love basketball, but whatever). Having an owner who can buy championships but cuts the team loose when he has to tighten his belt is not good at all.

Reply #192603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larger group (syndicate) ownership should always be preferable as well. Singular owners - their other businesses can hit the skids, they could go under a bus etc - too much risk in one place. Strong group ownership should be able to weather any individual storms.

Reply #192611 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I doubt the 8 team finals series will change. It was only 2 seasons ago that we had 11 teams with the same format.

Reply #192628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It'll be reviewed for sure. I think they might and should go to top six.

Reply #192636 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Lets hope so. I would personally prefer it to be 4 or 5.

Final 6 would still suit though. All games best of 3.

Top 2 get a week off.

3 v 6 play best of 3 games. Winner playing 1.
4 v 5 play best of 3 games. Winner playing 2.

Then the winners of the following games play off in a final best of 3 or 5.

Reply #192642 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd be happy with that. If people want to cry about teams having a week off and going cold - tough - they get a three game series to prevent them getting bundled out in one.

It's similar to how the NZ NBL do it (though they have single game eliminations until a three-game final series).

Reply #192653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The top 7 go automatically through to the finals and the remaining 4 play off for the final spot in a final 8 format. This will ensure teams that can only be involved for part of the year can still participate in the finals thereby satisfying their fans

Reply #192656 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

A few positives with an 11 team competition is that everyone will now play each 3 times. Also, with the available talent spread over 11 teams instead of 13, it should make for stronger teams out on the court at least.

Reply #192658 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Top six format should be:

First round (three game series - home court advantage to the left):
1 v 6
2 v 5
3 v 4

Semi finals (three game series - home court advantage to best ranked winner):
Winner (2v5) v Winner (3v4)
Winner (1v6) v Best ranked loser
(unless best ranked loser is '1', in which case swap 'Winner (3v4)' and 'Best ranked loser').

Finals (Five game series - home court advantage to best ranked winner of semi finals).

Simple. It makes sense, all teams get to play in front of a home crowd. Top two teams get double chance and home court advantage (so long as they keep winning).

Includes a minimum 13 games, maximum 20 games = good revenue and interesting series (and no 'one and done' games). No complaints about teams getting 'rusty' with the week off.

Reply #192661 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

On further thought, if the top ranked team lost in my model in the first round, you would want them to play the winner of 3v4 (so that the top two teams can still meet in the grand final).

Reply #192662 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I don't see there much point in having a regular season if you can finish bottom and still be able to make finals.

Think a top 6 with 3 game playoffs for each final is the way to go.

Reply #192664 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Skin, the former Sixers coach would see a point in that though! :P

Reply #192666 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hell no only top 6 maximum please lets not another season like last year where we won stuff all games and talking poss. make finals almost to last game. You should only play in finals if you have earnt it. I also like the 3 games per final idea as well. Not so cut throat and adds lot of interest to get supporters.

Reply #192672 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

chucky, I'm sorry that your words have been neglected by participants on this site. I endourse your recommendations in this modern age and suggest that one way to cut the home and away travel and also the fact that when teams go away the people in the audiance can be most unfriendly which emotionally effects those young men running up and down the court. Is to allow them all to play at home on their own court and all starting at a set time. Scores will not be kept as that would be in line with compatition. Maybe we could get a job in the education system once we have solved the problems of the basketball world. Good work Chucky.....

Reply #192796 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754