Mantis
Years ago

Sonics gone - team is Oklahoma bound

Court action between franchise owneres and city of Seatlle has settled, owners of Sonics are now able to move for coming season, but must pay Seattle some coin and leave Sonics name and colors behind.

Link to story on ESPN

Topic #16352 | Report this topic

Years ago

Im glad they will be leaving the sonics name and colours behind. I dont like the idea of shifting names etc around cities.

Will be good for the new city to start off fresh without the stigma of the old Seattle franchise.

Reply #192614 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

A sad day

Reply #192622 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

A bit sad really, but they probably need to change the name from Sonics as it refers to the Boeing headquarters/manufacturers in Seattle.

However, there is no lake in L.A (formerly Minneapolis where there is a lake).
Clippers (formerly San Diego where there are yachts/clippers everywhere).
Memphis (are there any grizzly bears there as there are in Vancouver?)
Probably no Raptors in Toronto anymore, maybe millions of years ago!

What's in Oklahoma that could be a good nickname for the team?

Reply #192627 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

they could upgarde from the College name of Oaklahoma Sooners to Oaklahoma Right Now!

i think the exclamation mark would look great as a logo!!

Reply #192630 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Oklahoma Bisons.

Reply #192632 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Dokies.

As in , "Okie Dokies"!

Reply #192633 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

How about the Oklahoma Corrals?

I think this a better outcome than most people expected. The owner gets to realise his dream of bringing a professional team to his home city and the name and colours remain with the city of Seattle, so that at some date in the future, the Sonics can be resurrected with their history intact.

Maybe Heisley can be encouraged to shift the Grizzlies to Seattle and assume the Sonics identity? That would be a good move if you ask me!

Reply #192635 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sorry, should have said ** the OK Corrals **

Reply #192638 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

beantown, I think moving the Grizzlies to Seattle is exactly the plan. IMHO, their recent personnel moves have been aimed at eroding fan support and reducing income to make it easier to make a case for relocation to the NBA Board.

Reply #192641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #192648 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Oklahoma Armadillos

Reply #192650 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Oklahoma Boomers... the mating ritual of the Greater Prairie-Chicken!

Reply #192651 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Oklahoma Bombers?

Sorry, but someone had to say it..

Reply #192652 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

The Oklahoma Pricks Who Ripped The Heart Out Of Seattle Basketball.

A bit long?

Reply #192659 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Oklahoma Tornadoes???

Oklahoma Slackjaws???

Reply #192660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oklahoma Musicals?

Reply #192674 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Poor Gary Payton. Now he is never going to get his jersey reired

Reply #192703 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I can't see the word "Oklahoma" without thinking of Steve Martin and Ruprect the Monkey Boy.

Reply #192769 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

Okla should hang payton and kemp jerseys up on d rafters !!! ..d best players ot ever play for Okla !!

Reply #192828 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Gold Phizzer, cheers for the laugh..

Reply #192834 | Report this post

Squizzy  
Years ago

As a former Seattle resident & regular Sonics fan I hope that Clay Bennett & Oklahoma City get what is coming to them.
He has had an agenda to move the team from day 1 & traded away the teams current decent players for future prospects & draft picks so that the team completely stank in Seattle but has some hope of success in Oklahoma.
I sincerely hope that they continue suck for many years to come.
Good news is that Sonics logo & colours remain in Seattle for future use as an NBA franchise will return there without doubt.
Bennett's decision to create duplicate championship banners & trophies to take to Oklahoma is a joke. The trophies & banners are part of Seattle's history not the Oklahoma Mud Shovellers or whatever their new team will be called.

Reply #192836 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bennett recreating the banners and trophies is absolute BS. I hope Durant walks at the end of his contract, especially after he just dropped 2.8 mill on a house in Seattle.

I still don't understand why the NBA and the owners would allow the franchise to move from a mid-major city to Oklahoma city which will be classed as a small market.

Any takers for the Memphis Grizzlies to relocate to Seattle in the next 3 years??

Reply #192846 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

yup, I'd buy that for a dollar..

Reply #192852 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Bennett is a total fraud. For some reason he has Stern's ear and is in bed with him though. The way he has handled this whole thing has been a total disgrace.

For the last 3 years we have been hearing how a Key Arena revamp would not be sufficient enough to keep an NBA team in Seattle - and now that Bennett has got what he wants, Stern happens to come out and say that it would be good enough after all, if another team happens to relocate to Seattle.

Its a joke. How can the commissioner let teams like Memphis and New Orleans struggle to get any interest at all in their respective cities, and take a franchise away from a city that has a proud basketball history?

Reply #192859 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

this is an example of money talks and personal "friendships" with Sterns rule the NBA
and how they can manipulate things to suit themselves. We have told you long ago that the NBA doesn't care about fans (unless you happen to be the rich and famous of LA) ..its all about the $$$$$ and connections. The most pathetic thing is the NBA Cares ...where these megarich athletes who complain about only getting $7 million are preaching to kids to "stay at school" when half of them didn't even finish high school !!

Oh some of you still believe the NBA isn't all about the bottom line and are beyond manipulating games for that purpose. some of you guys truley naive ...
if anything Stern continues to show what slimebag he and this league really are

Reply #192881 | Report this post

maxipayne  
Years ago

Hi
This is maxi,Not unhappy Sonics fans, who never did have a voice in this matter. Not Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels, who stepped aside with Wednesday's stunning final-hour settlement of the city's legal battle with Bennett.

Not even former Sonics owner Howard Schultz, who still has his own lawsuit pending against Bennett and his partners even in the wake of the city's $45 million settlement that leaves Seattle with the Sonics' name and history, but no team for the immediate future.
===================================================
maxi

Reply #200800 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754