The Journo
Years ago

Journo's Boomers Team for Beijing

Just saw the Opals team announced, thought I'd put my coaches hat on and select my Boomers 12.

David Andersen
Chris Anstey
David Barlow
Andrew Bogut
CJ Bruton
Joe Ingles
Nathan Jawai
Patrick Mills
Brad Newley
Matthew Nielsen
Glen Saville
Mark Worthington

Medal material?

Topic #16368 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i reckon you have nailed it.

Reply #192857 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Spot on with the team, cannot see us getting a medal though.

Reply #192861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage will make it

Saville or kendall to miss out

Reply #192863 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

what's the latest on Bogut and Nathan,

Bogut could well have had his contract organised by now...
and is Nathan now available?

Reply #192865 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think that is about right - I would have Redhage in there instead of Ingles

Reply #192868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

INgles been playing well over there. He is perfect for the traps and zones they are playing so he will make it.

Reply #192870 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jawai is not even part of the 13-man squad and will not make the team. Kendall will be cut fromt he team currently touring in Europe (with Bogut added), leaving the team to be as per below:

Andrew Bogut
David Andersen
Chris Anstey
David Barlow
CJ Bruton
Patrick Mills
Brad Newley
Matthew Nielsen
Glen Saville
Mark Worthington
Shaun Redhage
Joe Ingles

Reply #192874 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Yeah I think LC has picked it... although is Newley a certainty?

I think we are a medal chance. There is a pretty big difference of opinion on this. People either rate us a big chance for a medal, or rate us no chance at all. I personally think this is probably close to the greatest side we have ever put together, and if the individuals perform up to their normal standards, we will go very close to medalling.

Reply #192877 | Report this post

Free Agent  
Years ago

Ok so my team would be as follows:

Andrew Bogut
David Andersen
Chris Anstey
David Barlow
CJ Bruton
Patrick Mills
Brad Newley
Matt Nielsen
Shaun Redhage
Joe Ingles
Nathan Jawai
Martin Catalini

Reply #192883 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

LC you are spot on the team will be:

Andrew Bogut
David Andersen
Chris Anstey
David Barlow
CJ Bruton
Patrick Mills
Brad Newley
Matthew Nielsen
Glen Saville
Mark Worthington
Shaun Redhage
Joe Ingles

the journo mmm check your facts Jawai was cutt a week ago.

Reply #192885 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

drB I was picking the team I would want to to coach in Beijing, no the one I think will get selected.

Reply #192887 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

noted apologies journo

Reply #192894 | Report this post

spurs_suck  
Years ago

take out jawaii coz he wont play and put redhage in
then its perfect

Reply #192899 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Definitely the most talented team Australia has ever had IMO. We have good depth at every position. Bogut is the first true post threat we have ever had. We have plenty of guys who can hit the 3. The height and athleticism of most of our players is excellent and a match for most teams.

I reckon about the only things we are lacking are:
1) EXPERIENCE of many key players
2) An NBA quality slasher. Guys like Newley and Ingles are decent at it though, so we aren't awful in that area either.

So I really think our chances of medalling come down to good offensive and defensive schemes and the players performing at a high level.

It looks like Goorjian has done a good job of installing some full court pressure defence, but I think our biggest question mark is really going to come on the offensive end.

From the little I have seen against Iran and NZ, our ability to spot defensive weaknesses and exploit them is still pretty poor. Not having what should be our prime offensive player in Bogut with the team really hurts as well.

I wish BA had some money like the A-League does. If we could afford to bring in a guy like Donnie Nelson or another top US coach for a couple of years, I think we'd see this group's level of team play take a quantum leap. Imagine if we played with the same level of cohesion the Greeks showed when they beat us at the worlds a couple of years back?!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the boys do well at Beijing. Haven't been this optimistic since Gaze, Vlahov and Bradtke were in their prime.

Reply #192925 | Report this post

gav  
Years ago

Nice team Journo. I would take the exact same team I think. Only concern is pure shooting. Seems to be a lack of the pure shooting 2 man in the league for awhile now.
If only Brett Maher was 5 years younger! Almost surprised on this basis alone, that James Harvey didnt sneak into the team.

*Thank god Smith is hurt. As good as he once was, he didnt deserve to be in this company anyway.
**Sammy Mac is unlucky to be hurt at the wrong time. Id like to see him playing at the 2 or the 3 simply from a defensive/rebounding/running point of view. His athleticism and experience would have been useful.

Reply #192947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754