Isaac
Years ago

A Quick Report from China

For those interested, I'm writing from the Beilun District near Ningbo in China. It's a bit of an industrial district about four or so hours from Shanghai.

Andrew Gaze is leading an invitational team in a couple of games against China's national team (without Yao, but with Yi and co.). John Rillie is one of Gaze's assistants on the trip and there's a small support entourage as well.

The team is Carter, Tovey, Tragardh, Forman, Knight, Burston, Loughton, Crawford, Ng and Vanderjagt.

They lost the first game in Wuxi by about 15 or so after leading at half-time, but I arrived in China too late to catch it. A packed stadium watched that game and it was broadcast live on TV across the country. Tonight is the second game.

The hotel staff are going overboard trying to accommodate the team - if Darren complains about the air-con not working, three staff are immediately on the scene bringing fans and so on. Playing snooker last night, someone was on hand to re-rack the balls after each game, and also supplying bottles of water during the evening's poker game.

(The water is branded with photos of the five starters from the Chinese national basketball team - not sure we'd ever see the same for the Boomers?)

The poker game (using Chinese checkers and bits of cardboard as chips) had a field of 8 with a 50 RMB buy in (about AU$8). Loughton won, myself in second, followed by early leaders Tragardh and Burston.

It's hot and humid here - maybe 35-37 degrees - hopefully that doesn't impact the team too much in the game tonight.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to post again after the game to give everyone a bit of a rundown.

Zaijian!

Topic #16381 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

So, a Ferrari and overseas working holidays. Business must be doing alright??????

Reply #192974 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze was talking to Phil, on radio here yesterday. He mentioned 200 million watched the friday night game on tv.

Reply #192975 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Just who is looking after the Ferrari at the moment?????

Reply #192988 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Isaac as the Hoops correspondent on location in Shanghai are you the only Oz media covering the game apart from JR's blog?
As I understand it you remained on location in Shanghai after being unable to board a planned train to WuXi on arrival due to technical difficulties-a bums on seats issue-too many bums and not enough seats.
You then reportedly made emergency arrangements overnight and got a train to Ningbo to find you were an hour away from the actual location.
I understand your minimalist wardrobe is dramatically sweat stained. Are you able to represent Oz basketball media in an appropriate manner especially considering the high standard Adelaide Bball media sets? It doesn't sound like its all beer and ferraris over there?

Reply #192996 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great to see A Gaze taking a few of our younger guys to China to experience some more intl competition. Any news on the game tonight Isaac? Would be interested to hear how Forman, Knight, Loughton and Ng perform.

Reply #192997 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

they are an hour and a half behind so it is in progress.

Reply #193003 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

all tied up at half time -Ng 9 and forman 5- dont know any other details, very intense crowd OZ fouls 13 and China 7. (courtesy of a text from isaac)

Reply #193004 | Report this post

China win 66-61 .

Darren Ng top scored 16pts (7-14 fgs, 2-3 3pa) and 2 steals. Read a good report on

http://www.jronfire.blogspot.com/

Reply #193010 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

There is a lesson hear flatshot dont play with your i phone on an international flight.

What happens when the phone goes flat and you dont have a charger with you because you are following through on a dare not to take any luggage with you.

You are now in a foreign country with limited to no language skills, no idea where you need to go and no way of contacting your brother because he has the phone charger that you need.

Because you spent the flight showing off your i phone to the person next to you on the plane you are now stuck in a precarious position.

Reply #193029 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

I never thought of him as a showoff...i know there is the ferrari and all!
I did say to him if that bloody Ben Fitz dared you to jump off the harbour bridge would you do that as well...but he just had a glazed over look in his eyes and was obviously in a distant place.
Sounds like justice to me if he has to get around in sweaty XXL Oscar cast offs that smell of Auckland mould.
Sounds like a classic case of overplanning and under preparation?

Reply #193032 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Fitz, dare I ask what that cryptic message you sent me was about...

Am I to guess that your currently in a Balinese jail and your waiting for representatives to bail you out????

or

are you currently tied to a pole somewhere in the Yunnan province and being molested by members of the People's Liberation Army???

or

does Ben Fitz even exist anymore and this is some crazy Chinese hacker attempting to take over Hoops SA???

or

Isaac and/or yourself did something crazy at the airport????

Reply #193093 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

no it was completely unrelated to Isaac's chinese misadventures.

can you read the report at work or do i need to tell everyone?

Reply #193104 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I give you a buzz when I'm back on board.

Reply #193116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have managed to grab myself some time on a hotel computer while Oscar finishes breakfast. We're in Hangzhou ("Highly recommended by Lindsay Gaze") and leaving this morning to go to Huangshan (literally 'yellow mountain').

The game in Beilun was very good - intense, competitive and in front of a noisy and packed crowd - basketball is popular here. Kids wearing NBA gear, ads for Shaq, Vince Carter, etc on billboards.

Beilun is a trade district yet had a very decent venue with two big video screens and two other quality scoreboards. The game night presentation was excellent - great music throughout, everything was very professional.

The Aussies were presented as an All Star team and the crowd seemed aware of who Andrew Gaze was and cheered him when he was announced. He was pretty animated on the sidelines (especially given the bad refs) and the cameras never ceased to focus on his antics.

The players all played hard and it was pretty cool to see a bunch representing a number of NBL clubs out there for the same side.

As has been mentioned, Darren Ng was the main force for Australia - played a really good game and was cheered by the crowd each time China took 6 minutes to get on the scoreboard but once they got started the crowd got behind them

Yi JianLian had a couple of big blocks and Sun Yue Lakers drafted him last year spanked a Crawford fast break into the crowd

In the end a 5 point loss - quite respectable considering it was a Boomers C team or so and the refs 42 free throws to 9 or something like that

All up it was pretty exciting seeing these young NBL representatives over there going up against a rising power

After another night of poker and snooker the rest of the team were off early back to Shanghai to hit the markets before flying home Oscar and I are still over here until the 21st hoping to get to Tiger Leaping Gorge after HuangShan then HuaShan and around to Beijing and then Shanghai again

Reply #193156 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754