Jack Toft
Years ago

Finals Series

There's been a bit in the Crow-vertiser about the finals series for an 11 team format. Final 6 or final 8? The poll on the NBL website is 87% for a top 6 and 13% for a top 8.
The top 6 seems to be the way to go. Any other options?
Would a top 5 be better?

Topic #16385 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

Every knows that a top 8 is ludicrous wouldn't make sense and would make the league a laughing stock, or should I say: more of a laughing stock. Top 6 is the way to go and Eric Cooks, Al Westover and Alan Black who are suggesting leaving the final format how it is need their heads checked. You can't have 8 teams advancing and 3 missing out. If you're gonna do that then why not let everyone through to the finals and scrap the regular season.

Reply #192992 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

So what's the best format then ? I'd suggest the method we used to use, top 6 - playing best of three , with 1v6, 2v5 and 3v4.
Three winners and the highest placed loser go thru, with the three winners getting seeding 1,2,3 and lucky loser gets 4th ... now we play a normal best of three/five semi and finals ...

Reply #192999 | Report this post

agreed

this was the system that was used before it was messed with.

i feel this gives the better teams of not being knocked in one game. for instance sixers vs brisbane 2005 finals series and 2006 finals series against the taipans.

not saying we would have won but at least you take out if a team has a hot shooting night on one night.

i can remember being excited about the opportunity to go to sydney to see the sixers play in the semi finals. All i got to see was us get pummeled by the bullets and mick hill and simon kerle giving it to us.

wont forget that in a hurry.

Reply #193000 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

On the topic of the Advertiser (i.e. the Football newspaper with a page of real news in it), who saw that 150 years of sport thing today? Boti and the Sixers got what, 2 small paragraphs, and on the timeline none of the Sixers championships were on there. That paper is such a Football gossip rag it's ridiculous.

Reply #193013 | Report this post

Sporting Dad  
Years ago

Hey James W, that's why it's the Crow-vertiser. There is a story on the Crows every day, even in the off season.

Reply #193014 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

You could probably extend that to all South Australian media though...even in the off season a Crows story will take precedence over most other things, especially on the evening news.

"Our top story tonight, Simon Goodwin drops a turd shaped like Mark Riccuitos head, for more we go live to AAMI Stadium..."

"In other news, the Adelaide Thirty Sixers won some National Blernsball league or something."

Reply #193016 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754